This novel won the Hugo, Nebula, and Locus SF Awards for its year, and it's easy to understand why.

Published 4 months ago by illegiblescribble

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Readable
I give this book 3.5 stars. It's got a nicely developed protagonist, even though I wish she was more flawed, and setting, with a smooth narrative to bring it along. I adore snakes, and I love the idea of the healing snakes, so kudos for that touch. The minor characters ranged from being OK to not-so-spiffy from the critic's perspective.
The plot has a leisurely...
Published on April 30 2003 by khryindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Finely-drawn characters inhabiting a detailed, believable world (4.5 stars), Aug. 18 2014
illegiblescribble - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)

Snake is from a tribe of healers who grow up learning how to alter the chemistry of venom in live snakes to heal different illnesses and injuries. Healers are solitary and nomadic souls who spend their lives in altruistic service to others, travelling through damaged and dangerous terrain on a post-apocalyptic Earth.

As the story opens, Snake has been asked by a highly superstitious and fearful people to heal a young child who is terribly ill. Perhaps due to innocence and inexperience, she is too trusting that they will adhere to her instructions. She leaves with the child overnight her precious dreamsnake, the venom and presence of which provides pain relief and the ease of sleep to ill patients, while she is off preparing the venom of another of her serpents for the healing session to come, with the assistance of one of the young men of the village. Her trust is ill-founded; she returns to find that the child's adult relatives have mortally-wounded her dreamsnake out of their fear it would harm the child, and she is forced to euthanise the rare dreamsnake which is required to practice her vocation.

Despite this and her personal grief over the loss of her reptile assistant, she manages to pull the child out of danger. But bereft of one of her treasured reptile companions, she is torn between returning to the tribe of healers and admitting what will surely be perceived as the criminal loss of one of the vitally-important dreamsnakes which are almost impossible to breed or clone -- and therefore irreplaceable -- or putting off the inevitable disgrace by travelling further to offer healing assistance elsewhere.

She chooses the delay, and so continues her journeys, offering help to the sick and injured. Along the way, she encounters an emotionally-damaged young man who has become incapable of forming personal relationships, and a young girl who has not only been grievously disfigured in a fire -- but worse yet, has spent her short life enduring continual physical, emotional, and sexual abuse at the hands of her supposed "guardian". And so the reader comes to understand that the types of healing to be offered by the tough-but-kindhearted Snake reach far beyond the application of snake venom.

According to the author, at the time of its publication (1978), the story was more than a little contentious because of several factors: rather than the usual male hero, the protagonist is a strong, independent woman; she manages to extricate herself from dangerous situations on her own, instead of requiring rescue by a man; and the subject of child sexual abuse is dealt with rather frankly -- something which was quite unusual for that time.

This novel is what I call "Firm Sci-Fi": while it does not delve exhaustively into the science behind the apocalypse or the world's remaining technology as would Hard Sci-Fi, it does explore those -- especially the biotechnology of the venom -- in enough depth to avoid the "handwavery" of Soft Sci-Fi. But the excellent worldbuilding here is still surpassed by the beautifully-fleshed-out depth of the characters.

The novel was an expansion of an earlier novelette, "Of Mist, and Grass, and Sand", which won the Nebula in 1973. Although the novel's resolution is satisfying to readers, I would really have loved to see further exploration in additional volumes of the world the author has created; sadly, that has never occurred to date.

There's an excellent interview with the author over at io9 entitled "Feminism, Astronauts, and Riding Sidesaddle"; I encourage the reader to seek it out (after first reading the book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, Nov. 14 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dreamsnake (Audio Cassette)
This is my all time favorite book ever!
I am actually an avid murder mystery buff and dabble in fantasy, sci-fi, and other fiction. But I became totally immersed in this story.
I was first given this book to read when I was in high school, by my mother who had always feared snakes (as the people at the beginning of the book). So unlike others, I thought the beginning did work. Snake knew nothing about the people and the people knew nothing about her. The reader was just as "clueless" about the significance of the snake and the fear of the people as the characters were.
As Snake's plans are constantly diverted by events as she initially attempts to return home defeated, we come to know Snake a little more and a little more. Like real life, you don't know everything about her upfront. You don't understand her but you are intrigued and keep reading.
Things turned out very different than Snake ever imagined. Sometimes life is like that.
I re-read this book in my early 20's and now at 34 just listened to the unabridged audiotape (since a working mom has no free time except the work commute!) This is the book I turn to when I feel like what I am doing has little meaning or worth. I use it to go on a mental journey and refocus.
I have now addicted my husband who listened to Dreamsnake on a 24 hour drive to Arkansas and is listening again, looking for excuses to keep driving the car, just to listen a little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling heroine in an atmospheric story, Aug. 11 2001
Craig MACKINNON (Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
First, I will have to admit that I have not liked other Vonda McIntyre books I've read - the only reason I picked this one up was because it won the Hugo AND the Nebula, so it seemed like I should read it. After a bit of a rocky start (VM seems too rushed in trying to set up the initial crisis that you haven't developed any empathy for the heroine yet), you get engrossed in the story of a healer in a post-apocolyptic world that uses snakes as a type of hypodermic needle. When suitably drugged, her rattlesnake and cobra produce antitoxins and medicines instead of venom. The titular dreamsnake is an alien species of snake whose venom produces an analgesic/anesthetic effect, which the healers use instead of traditional drugs for the very ill. When the heroine's dreamsnake is killed by a superstitious tribesman, she blames herself and sets off on a quest to atone for the loss (i.e., finding more dreamsnakes).
As mentioned, the initial crisis, the death of the dreamsnake, occurs before you know (or care) much about the world and the heroine. Perhaps it was written this way on purpose, but it doesn't work. It isn't really until half-way through the book that you start to get into the story, but the wait is worth it. By that point, you're drawn into the world and begin to understand it. The same can be said of the healer, you've finally got to know her and like her.
The other characters are not as well written, and you care little for them. This is not a major drawback, because most of the other characters are of minor importance, existing primarily to further the plot. The story itself is engrossing, and contains a number of loose ends where sequels could be possible, but oddly, McIntyre has not written one. These "jagged edges" seem realistic to real life, if a little frustrating.
Overall, it's a good book, and enjoyable to read. You'll have to trust me on that, because after the first 30 pages, you'll be thinking otherwise, but stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best post-holocaust stories ever, Sept. 19 2000
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
Dreamsnake is one of only 15 books to win both the Hugo and the Nebula. As such, I had high hopes for it, and I was not disappointed. True, it doesn't have ground-breaking vision of books like Gateway or Ringworld, but what it lacks there, it more than makes up in conventional world-building and, even more importantly, characterization.
The story takes place in a post-holocause Earth, where a limited amount of bio-technology is all that is keeping humanity to shrinking back to a hunter-gatherer society. The most obvious example of this is the dreamsnake, whose venom enables healers to ease the pain of the wounded, and comfort the dying. Snake, the main character, is such a healer. However, her dreamsnake is killed, and she must seek out another, or cease to be a healer. The story carries the reader from the Great Dessert, to the healer station where they breed dreamsnakes (with little luck), to Center, the sole spaceport where humans from off-world still come, and finally to the mysterious domes. And as we explore this compelling world, we also get to explore the inner workings of Snake, and see what makes her tick.
However, while the story is a very pleasing one most of the way through, one gets to the end and can't shake the feeling that the author left some important questions unanswered. This story is definitely ripe for a sequel, but McIntyre doesn't look to be very interested. Pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi with a feminist twist--and lots of snakes!, May 25 2000
C. S. Bloedorn "aurenta" (Catonsville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked this book up ten years ago for the silliest reason (it was next to Anne McCaffrey) and I haven't put it down since. This is one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, science fiction book for many reasons. The first, and most trivial, is that I love snakes, and their starring role made this an appealing book. I especially like that they are a crucial plot element, and that McIntyre gets FAR away from the traditional views of snakes as evil. Moving on, I have found myself thinking of the characters many times in other contexts and find them to be well-drawn. Whenever I read it, I wish that Arevin had a larger part, but it is Snake's book, not his. I read this when I was 13 and the sexuality in it was a revalation. Looking back on it, I realize that it was age appropriate for me then (a mature 13) and it still is now. I agree that North is a fairly thin villian, but that is more than made up for me by the intriging bad guys in the dome. I have also always wanted to know what their story was. I own two copies--my paperback, and a hardcover that I was elated to find at a used book store for $2.50! I also like the scientific emphasis of it, though it is set in such an uncivilized world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, Dec 18 1997
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
For lovers of feminist utopian fiction, 'Dreamsnake' is compulsory, as well as compelling, reading. McIntyre's vision of a world of disparate and fragmented cultures is bleak, yet eerily familiar. We know these people, they are us, and we feel for their anxieties and triumphs. Despite the apparent normality of a heterosexual romance as subplot, her politics of sexuality are exemplary. A person's fertility is their own responsibility and to be irresponsible sexually is to be an outcast. Women and men share their roles and responsibilities, in work and the care of children, because this is human work and should be done by all. We follow the compelling journey of our hero, Snake, as she seeks to regain what she had snatched from her in ignorance, her job as healer and with it, her self-respect. In the course of her quest she finds answers to matters far beyond her original search, as well as a love unlooked-for but cherished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, strong heroine, May 4 2000
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
"Dreamsnake" was one of the first adult SF novels that I read. It was probably the perfect book to introduce a teen-ager to the possibilities of SF. While it dealt with some dark themes, such as the prejudice against healers like Snake, it never became exploitative. And it was never dull.
The one character who could have been developed more was the man who fell in love with Snake. It might have been nice to have him in a few more scenes. Then again, I was glad this wasn't one of those books where the heroine waits around for some guy to save her derriere.
Some readers have complained that Snake is too capable and that most of the men are painted as incompetent or evil. If you have limited tolerance for that sort of thing ... chill out and read it anyway. Sheesh!
Anne M. Marble Reviewer for All About Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars What else can I say?, Sept. 4 2001
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
This would have to be my all-time SF/PAF novel of all time. It blew me away 20 years ago when I first read it, and I despaired of ever owning another copy. Go Amazon, you fantastic resource for us antipodean bibliophiles!
This book is truly an inspirational tale of feminine courage, resourcefulness and intelligence. It embraces both the feminine and masculine and celebrates them equally, but for their own uniqueness.
A highly trained woman with a gift in healing, not only physical damage, but psychological as well, she shares her gifts with all who cross her path. Her special relationship with her serpents as healing tools is magical, and the death of the most unusual of these is the impetus of her journey of discovery and self-discovery.
I urge you to take the journey yourself!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Readable, April 30 2003
This review is from: Dreamsnake (Audio Cassette)
The plot has a leisurely pace, so while this is technically an adventure story, don't expect the "action" which normally typifies an adventure. The climax didn't work for me, but otherwise the plot is sound.
Overall, there is not much in the way of fresh insights or amazing writing. This is just a book which is a modest pleasant read once you're involved in the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orginal and well woven, Aug. 9 1996
This review is from: DREAMSNAKE (Mass Market Paperback)
When they were doling out imagination, V. McIntyre stood in line twice. Her ability to draw the reader into the story so well, makes one feel as if one is co-conspirator with the protagonist. As to her originality, somehow she finds a way to the the everyday and make it both romantic and different. The tale flows in a upward spiral and succesfully builds to its very interesting conclusion. Except for the fact that the author's feministic imprint comes through too strongly in the novel, it would rate a 9. A must read for afficionados of SciFi and Fantasy who want something, well, original

Dreamsnake
Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre (Paperback - Oct. 12 1979)
Used & New from: CDN$ 50.89