Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on December 21, 2000
Amit Chaudhuri is absolutely brilliant when it comes to breathing life into everyday stuff like visiting a bank, taking a walk or frying fish. This skill is a lot more germane for a novel like A Strange and Sublime Address. But in a book on a serious subject like divore and its aftermath his quotitidan observations are more of a distration than anything. I wish he had dealt with the emotional undercurrents more openly and at the same level of detail as mundane things like watching TV or toothpaste or bath soap.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2001
Yes, I see where the author is a very talented writer who can raise mundane, everyday experiences to a thoughtful new level. Perhaps it is my shortcoming and not his, but I need some kind of plot or a promise of a character's epiphany to keep me turning the pages. The book was set almost entirely in the apartment of the main character's parents, making it very claustrophobic. I recognize the art of the writing and the precision of the words, but I really did not enjoy reading it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse