1,145 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Story
This is an amazing book. The premise, the writing itself, the characters... all in all a very good read, I would recommend it, and I am going to read a few more books written by this author.
Published 16 months ago by oneworldview

3.0 out of 5 stars Books dealing with the south
Published on July 3 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Story, March 14 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Read, June 10 2002
By A Customer
I saw the movie before reading the book and felt that the movie was lacking somthing, so I picked up the book.
Mind you,I have a pile 10 books high of Oprah books I keep meaning to read, but with 4 wild kids, it just never seems to happen.
This book happened--it pulled me in immediately.
Not only did it touch nerves regarding my own feeelings about my mother, but it made me think of my own feelings AS a mother.
I wondered if I was screwed up, or if I was doing the screwing up part to MY kids,lol.
Sometimes, when all that can be seen is "the relationship" with one's parent/children- it is hard to tell, but by the end of the book one comes to terms with it all to some degree, an acceptance that basically "life is short, but it is wide."

What an iteresting book ,not just the stories of Sidda and Vivi, but the story it makes the reader remember of her own memories and childhood. The stories the reader sees her children remembering one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Amazing Novel, Her Best Book, Dec 7 2008
Jamieson Villeneuve "Author at Large" (Ottawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When secrets have been buried beneath the veneer of the skin, they fester. Sometimes, those secrets can be held at bay for years, decades even. Sometimes the secrets you hold can eat away at who you are, and what you have become. Usually, they have to come out sooner or later.

The consequences of that release, letting the secrets breathe and have life once more, can be good or bad - but keeping those secrets inside can tear a family apart.

In the incredible book "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells, we meet Siddalee Walker, a middle aged playwright directing her first Broadway play. She is the daughter of Southern Belle Vivi Abbot Walker. Their relationship is rocky at best.

Along for the ride are Vivi's life long friends: Necie, Caro and Teensy. Decades ago, Vivi, Necie, Caro and Teensie formed a secret sisterhood, the sisterhood of the Ya-Ya's. They will let no man put them under, and will always listen to the call of the women and Gods that came before them.

Their friendship, forged in the heat of the South and the blood they shared, has stood the test of time. Unfortunately, Vivi's relationships with her children, especially Sidda, haven't.When the New York Times interviews Sidda and proclaims her mother to be a tap dancing child abuser, all hell breaks loose. Vivi cuts Siddalee out of her will and proclaims her dead to her, in true Southern fashion.

At a loss as to how to articulate her pain, Sidda decides not to marry her seven-year sweetheart Connor McGill. The Ya-Ya's step in to Sidda's aid. They implore Vivi to send Sidda the Divine Secrets, a scrapbook of sorts that chronicles their lives together. Flipping through the large book, Sidda is thrust back in time, to the South in the 1930's and beyond, and learns what really happened to her mother and her life.

We learn, along with Sidda, about the alcohol, the lost love that died in the war, what really preceded the beating outside of their family home when Vivi finally broke down. Once secrets are released, they have a difficult time staying hidden. And, as is often the case with secrets, once one has found it's way out to the light, the other secrets are not too far behind.

In "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood," Wells has created a tapestry of words, showing us snapshots of one family's life and a relationship between mother and daughter that is, in the end, strong enough to survive child beatings, abuse, booze, girl scouts, lovers, enemies and the perfect perm.

We are offered a glimpse into the lives of these people, Sidda, Vivi, her husband Shep, and it is often times a harrowing picture, a dark one. It is, however, a story that probably everyone can relate to. For how often have we bemoaned our parents, thought them ill equipped to deal with us, or that they really didn't love us or want us when it is the other way around? That they don't know how to show love and affection, that they are unable to, perhaps due to what happened to them as children. Secrets that no child really ever finds out.

"Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" is a wonderful novel filled with humor, honesty and the strength of the human spirit. If you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspirational, Nov. 27 2007
This is a book for anyone who is a mother and anyone who is a daughter.

It's about insight and perspective, love and forgiveness, and ultimately, about the redemptive (life-giving) nature of the relationships between mother and daughter and women friends.

Even if we didn't have it as bad as Vivi or SiddaLee, most off us mothers have screwed up and hurt our kids without meaning to, and many of us know what it feels like to have a mother whose own pain sometimes gets in the way of her ability to be a "good" mother.

What Wells has given us is a poignant, sometimes painful, sometimes humorous portrait of the journey between the way it is between Vivi and SiddaLee and the way they want it to be.

This is also a book about friendship, about continuity over time, and the truth of women's lives. It's about friends who share joy, responsibility and their shame with each other. I loved every moment of reading this book. You will too.

If you loved this book, along with the SHOPAHOLIC SERIES and the book THE WOMAN WHO CUT OFF HER LEG, then you'll have one great collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Books dealing with the south, July 3 2004
By A Customer
For me, books dealing with the South are like pizza and sex---even when they're bad they're still pretty good. That's not to say that "Divine Secrets" is bad, it isn't. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a matter of fact, it's one of the two best books I've read recently that dealt with family sagas, secrets, the south, and a host of other things. The other is a book called "The Bark of the Dogwood--A Tour of Southern Homes and Gardens." Both books are entertaining and well-written. But I digress. My point is that books dealing with southern themes and ideas, well . . .you can't go wrong. Why is it that all the great writers are Southern? Who knows. And I don't care. All I do know is that "Divine Secrets" is a rollicking good time with more than a few dark undertones. This one's a keeper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs literary testosterone, June 22 2004
By A Customer
I gave this book one star because Wells does have some writing talent. However, her subject matter is somewhat nauseating. A mother and daughter who are on the "outs" because the daughter reveals that Mama was mean to her when she was a kid? That's not exactly a plot that can fill a whole book, but Wells thinks it can. The females in this book are, for the most part, very believable. The male characters are flawless & saintly, female fantasies of what men should be, except without the personality. If she developed male characters as well as she developed female characters, it would make it a lot more interesting. In some places she gets nauseatingly sentimental - it makes me want to take a bath, or go watch "Law and Order" to get back to reality. She goes over little things over and over and over ad nauseam. I would have preferred to read this tale in short-story form, where Mom says "Sorry, kid. I was a bad Mom. I had a rough life. Didn't mean to hurt you." Then the daughter says "OK, Mom." Hug. THE END. I'm not a really huge fan of most "chick flicks" or "chick books" (except maybe Jane Austen stuff), because they lack literary testosterone. But this was the ookiest, sweetsy-est, touchy-feeliest chick book I've ever touched. Yechhh! Oh yeah, and I AM a woman. Rebecca, you have some talent. Next time, please write a real STORY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Divine, May 26 2004
By A Customer
I saw the movie which was made from this book first, and while I like it, I wasn't just blown away by it. Then I read the book. Boy, did they ever not do justice to this story! The book is so much better. With excellent writing on the same level as "The Bark of the Dogwood" or possibly some of Jan Karon's novels, this tour-de-force story will keep you enthralled from the first page to the last. And it goes beyoned the "womens' empowerment" theme, for there's so much more to this tale: Southern culture, family dysfunction, and power struggles within the family. I just can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Neatest Grandmothers, May 18 2004
Katie (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say I first watched the movie then read the book. I loved both. They are different, of course like many movies and books differ, but I will not tell you where.
This book connected with my southern pride. These women were sweating the southern smell. Their actions, manners, their life all had southern traits. It was a novel that made me feel like Southerners are really something fun, not a bunch of hicks, but can still be classy and at the same time have fun.
It was an adventure with women who had lived adventurously all their lives. It was a ride with the coolest people. The main characters that were older women had always had fun , but with the time and culture they had grown up they never knew how to embrace their children like they should. My grandmother recently had a stroke, and this book showed me how lucky I am to have a grandmother that cared so much.
I recommend this book to anyone, but I think only southern female's could appreciate this novel to the full extent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine!, May 14 2004
M. K. Knight (Appleton, WI) - See all my reviews
I loved this book and the pre-quel, Little Altars. I've about warn out my DVD too! Definitely a book I could get lost in time and time again. Fantastic story line and Rebecca has a wonderful writing style. Any book that can make me laugh and cry is a good book worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, May 11 2004
The Ya-Ya Sisterhood is a great book about the relationship beteween a mother and daughter. Viviane Walker has a very close group of friends that call themselves the Ya-Yas. The Ya-Yas include Caro, Necie, Teensy, and Vivi. They have been friends since they were kids. I really liked the Ya-Yas. Viviane's daughter, Sidda, is a famous theatre director and fiancee. She was having an important interview for a newspaper article when she told the interviewer about some rough times she had with her mother as a child. The article made Vivi seem to be a horrible mother and person, which Sidda did not intend. Because of this, Vivi and Sidda have a huge fight. During their fight, Sidda is sent the scrapbook full of the Ya-Yas secrets. While Sidda looks throught the book, the novel flashes back to Vivi and the Ya-Ya's childhood. These flashbacks are funny, interesting, and some are very sad. They were my favorite part of the book. Read the book to find out what happens!

DIVINE SECRETS OF THE YA-YA SISTERHOOD
DIVINE SECRETS OF THE YA-YA SISTERHOOD by REBECCA WELLS (Paperback - May 7 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01