5.0 out of 5 stars The Salmon of Doubt - simply splendid
Great reading for all who love Douglas Adams' work. It's fascinating to connect various bits and pieces in his interviews and articles to his books, his life experiences to literary work.
Published 17 months ago by Svetlana

1.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT
Before you all jump on me, let me say that I adore HHGTTG in all its incarnations. I've read the Dirk Gently books, although I'm not as big a fan of those as I am of HHGTTG. I even own (and have read) Last Time to See. So I'm a bona fide DNA fan.
Published on May 25 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Salmon of Doubt - simply splendid, Oct. 28 2012
This review is from: The Salmon Of Doubt (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT, May 25 2002
By A Customer
I have seldom looked forward so much and then been so disappointed in a book as I was with Salmon of Doubt. It's okay for what it is -- a mishmash of previously published articles and columns, random musings culled from DNA's computer after his death, interviews, reprints, and the beginning of his unfinished and incomprehensible novel.
The marketing led me to believe I was going to be reading a new installment in HHGTTG, not an anthology. Even the book itself implied that we'd be getting another installment of HHGTTG, and specifically states that it's not a Dirk book. Well, it may not be Dirk Gently (even if he is the protagonist), but it's also not HHGTTG. And the whole "novel" comprises only 80 or so of the 280 or so pages of the book.
Save your money. Re-read HHGTTG instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the most fanatic HH2G should just skip this book., Nov. 19 2010
A. Kydd (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Salmon Of Doubt (Paperback)
I would first like to emphasize that I love the writings of Douglas Adams. I first picked up a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I was 7 years old and never looked back. I've never read anything by Doug that I didn't consider worthwhile . . . until I bought a copy of The Salmon of a Doubt.
I had long since read 'Young Zaphod Plays It Safe' and 'The Private Life of Genghis Khan'. Anyone who poked around the net would have done the same.
I could pick apart the supposed third Dirk Gently book, but it is most simply criticized by saying that a writers unfinished work should never be published. It feels like a publisher trying to milk the last few dimes out of a now dead author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doubtlessly entertaining..., March 5 2004
Jim Allen "The Big Idea Coach" (Odenton, Md USA) - See all my reviews
It's fitting that this audio edition contains guests and narrators like Stephen Fry, Richard Dawkins, Terry Gilliam, et. al. In addition to helping bring this wonderful collection of Adam's work to life, they bring an additional sense of connection to the man behind (within?) the words.
Some fans of Adams fiction may not like the extensive nonfiction pieces included, but those people will miss out on some of the best gems of Adams' wit and wisdom. Most others, though, will realize that there is a vast archive of columns and articles, letters and speeches, (many published outside the U.S.) that we have missed.
In all of the pieces, nonfiction and fiction, Adams' crisp humor and prodding logic will make you giggle, laugh, and most of all, wonder at this gloriously silly thing we call life.
Listen to this many times... and don't forget your towel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Audio CD not worth the money., Sept. 13 2003
Jory K. Prum "joryjory" (Fairfax, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This has got to be the poorest mastering job I have ever found for an Audio Book. The actual contents are fine; the recording is good, the reading is good, and the material is moderately intriguing. However, it is without excuse that the 7 CD set contains only 1 track per disc.
Do the producers really think that people want to listen to a book of letters, memoirs, interviews, and miscellany in a single (or 7 1-hour 10-minute) sitting(s)? It is unbelievable that the various chapters of the book have not been given individual track numbers.
For my own use, before I could bear to listen to this audio book, I had to rip the entire 7-disc set and segment it so I could handle it in reasonable chunks. That took me 5 hours. Oh, and there is not even a Table of Contents. I had to find one on somebody's website, so I'd have some sort of clue what I'd find in this book.
This is inexcusable and irritating, especially for an audio book that retails for $45.
If this is how all of New Millennium's titles are, I'll never buy one again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Douglas cannot be dead, June 24 2003
Sean Nolan "I love a good story" (Greenville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Everybody should read 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'!
That is both definite and demanded!
This looked as though it had the promise to be better than the other two Dirk Gently books(truth be told, I wasn't a big DG fan).
But this one looked as though it had real promise!
It's a shame that we will never get to read the completed text.
True, I discovered DA later than some, but I have been a rather zealous for about fourteen years.
This is a real kick in the pants for fiction, first Uncle Shelby, then Doug...
(or was it the other way around)

4.0 out of 5 stars Douglas cannot be dead, June 24 2003
Everybody should read 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'!
That is both definite and demanded!
But this one looked as though it had real promise!
It's a shame that we will never get to read the completed text.
This is a real kick in the pants for fiction, first Uncle Shelby, then Doug...

5.0 out of 5 stars Douglas, you simply cannot be dead!..., Sept. 21 2002
Larissa (Waterford, MI USA) - See all my reviews
A man who really knew where his towel was. When the world lost Douglas Adams in a gym in Santa Barbara, it lost one of its most incisive wits and piercingly brilliant "life" commentators. This collection of eulogies, articles, introductions, interviews and stories gives a glimpse of Douglas Adams at work and play. Though other friends of Douglas lend their voices to this book, Simon Jones takes the lions share of the work. Simon, for those who don't know, is the original Arthur Dent from the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy radio series and movie. I never met Douglas, but Zarquon's Knees!, I miss him. Buy the CD's, The Salmon of doubt is... ...well, it's better than Vogon poetry!

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmally Poor CD Quality, Aug. 14 2002
"williams_allan" (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The voices are wonderful, sound is excellent. The CD format could be greatly superior to a regular book, especially for those who listen and drive, if only:
1. You could play each CD thru to the end. My machine, which is new and quality, cannot track the last x number of minutes. I really don't know why, but I'm 0 for 2 of the 8 CD's. And the stuff that's cut off is the stuff that other reviewers have been raving about.
2. Each CD is recorded as a single track. That means you can't go forward or back or continue listening on a different machine, or play a simple excerpt. Given the length of each CD, this is really annoying.
Until the manufacturer gets his act together, I would avoid the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars What we will miss, June 7 2002
Steven L. Johnson (USA) - See all my reviews
I was first exposed to Douglas Adams with the radio rendition of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" -- I own and have read the series a number of times.
This book introduces you to the person with the wonderful imagination and craftsman with words. While I don't agree with everything of his beliefs -- I now understand him more. He is articulate in presenting things he was passionate about.
Excellent read -- I don't really care the whole section of the airplane was looking at me as I chuckled out loud; many times ! If you are a fan of Douglas Adams -- this is a must read. For people who have never read him -- read one of his completed works first, then come back to this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x102369c0)

The Salmon of Doubt
The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams (Hardcover - May 17 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01