Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on May 25, 2002
Before you all jump on me, let me say that I adore HHGTTG in all its incarnations. I've read the Dirk Gently books, although I'm not as big a fan of those as I am of HHGTTG. I even own (and have read) Last Time to See. So I'm a bona fide DNA fan.
I have seldom looked forward so much and then been so disappointed in a book as I was with Salmon of Doubt. It's okay for what it is -- a mishmash of previously published articles and columns, random musings culled from DNA's computer after his death, interviews, reprints, and the beginning of his unfinished and incomprehensible novel.
The marketing led me to believe I was going to be reading a new installment in HHGTTG, not an anthology. Even the book itself implied that we'd be getting another installment of HHGTTG, and specifically states that it's not a Dirk book. Well, it may not be Dirk Gently (even if he is the protagonist), but it's also not HHGTTG. And the whole "novel" comprises only 80 or so of the 280 or so pages of the book.
Save your money. Re-read HHGTTG instead.
on September 13, 2003
This has got to be the poorest mastering job I have ever found for an Audio Book. The actual contents are fine; the recording is good, the reading is good, and the material is moderately intriguing. However, it is without excuse that the 7 CD set contains only 1 track per disc.
Do the producers really think that people want to listen to a book of letters, memoirs, interviews, and miscellany in a single (or 7 1-hour 10-minute) sitting(s)? It is unbelievable that the various chapters of the book have not been given individual track numbers.
For my own use, before I could bear to listen to this audio book, I had to rip the entire 7-disc set and segment it so I could handle it in reasonable chunks. That took me 5 hours. Oh, and there is not even a Table of Contents. I had to find one on somebody's website, so I'd have some sort of clue what I'd find in this book.
This is inexcusable and irritating, especially for an audio book that retails for $45.
If this is how all of New Millennium's titles are, I'll never buy one again.
on August 14, 2002
The voices are wonderful, sound is excellent. The CD format could be greatly superior to a regular book, especially for those who listen and drive, if only:
1. You could play each CD thru to the end. My machine, which is new and quality, cannot track the last x number of minutes. I really don't know why, but I'm 0 for 2 of the 8 CD's. And the stuff that's cut off is the stuff that other reviewers have been raving about.
2. Each CD is recorded as a single track. That means you can't go forward or back or continue listening on a different machine, or play a simple excerpt. Given the length of each CD, this is really annoying.
Until the manufacturer gets his act together, I would avoid the CD.
on November 19, 2010
I would first like to emphasize that I love the writings of Douglas Adams. I first picked up a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I was 7 years old and never looked back. I've never read anything by Doug that I didn't consider worthwhile . . . until I bought a copy of The Salmon of a Doubt.
I had long since read 'Young Zaphod Plays It Safe' and 'The Private Life of Genghis Khan'. Anyone who poked around the net would have done the same.
I could pick apart the supposed third Dirk Gently book, but it is most simply criticized by saying that a writers unfinished work should never be published. It feels like a publisher trying to milk the last few dimes out of a now dead author.