4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over the previous entry. . .
Published on Nov. 12 2001 by David Zampino

3.0 out of 5 stars A necessary book, but the least interesting of the series
This book dragged a little during the middle part. The beginning was interesting and the last 3rd of the book was very well done.
Published on July 26 2003 by movie_maniacs3000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A necessary book, but the least interesting of the series, July 26 2003
movie_maniacs3000 "Scott" (Savannah, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
The character that assume the office of the Incarnation of Nature is name Orb. She is the Daughter of Niobe from bk 3. A beautiful gifted singer that is destined to "maybe marry evil". Orb leaves home at the age of 18 to pursure a singing career and she soon begins a trek for a particular song called the "llano", which is a song so powerful that it can manipulate nature itself.
Orb meets a number people during her quest. The 2 most significant is Mym, her first true love that become the Incarnation of War in book 4, and a Mysterious singer named Natasha.
What Orb dosen't realized is that her quest is actually training to become the Incarnation of Nature.
Like all IOI books, Satan plays a strong role, epecially when a new person becomes an Incarnation. New Incarnations are so inexperienced that Satan likes to manipulate them to gain advantage in the War over good and evil. Satan has a particular interest in Orb.
I found Orb's "quest" a little to drawn out. The book did finish very strong setting up book 6 for a very interesting read. As a teaser, Natasha spells what backwards?????

4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over the previous entry. . ., Nov. 12 2001
David Zampino "21st Century Hobbit" (Glendale, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
Like the previous four volumes in this series, "Being a Green Mother" deals with a human taking on the role of an Incarnation. While the plot of this novel becomes fairly predictible, the characters are interesting. Anthony's imagination certainly comes to the fore in this novel, incorporating, Jonah the Whale, Jezebel and the band that played in "On a Pale Horse"
Again, like the previous novel, it appears that Anthony intends to unite all the Incarnations together by family or relationship ties. Orb, the daughter of Niobe, is revealed as the mother of Orlene (fathered by Mym) who becomes the lover of Chronos. (I did find the resolution of the relationship between Mym and Orb to be unconvincing.)
Again, like the previous novel, the final showdown between the title character and Satan approaches the level of total destruction -- something not seen in the first three novels. It also becomes clear that more novels will be required -- the ending is a SERIOUS cliff-hanger! (If not entirely believable!)
An enjoyable entry in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Different, Sept. 26 1999
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read the first five books in this series and this one, Fate and Death were my fav's so far.But I was kinda disappointed because we didn't really learn anything about how Nature works. I guess I had high expectations of this book but it didn't really reach them. The main character, Orb, is really a great character. She popped up in 3 of the books so far so that was cool. The only thing was that it was kinda annoying to reread all that stuff about Mym since it was in his book too but I guess if you haven't read War then you need to know it... One thing I noticed was that Piers Anthony just doesn't cut it when writing female characters. He describes everything from a male point of view (I guess he can't help that though.) But he did write Satan really well at the end, that's one point in his favour. I don't think this ended the series very well, thankfully there's 2 more though. It sort of leaves you hanging at the end. Does Orb do well as Gaea? What happens after that end scene? How does her life go on? Stuff like that. Overall, this book was good, but not great. I recommend reading it, but not very highly. From reading the back, I was expecting more romance in it. Between Orb and whoever but there was very little, that kind of disappointed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Green Mother's Prophecy, March 26 2001
James (St.Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
The readers of this series already know that there was a prophecy between Luna and Orb. The prophecy was that 'One might marry Death and the other Evil'. When Orb and Luna were young they met some gypsies that talked about the Llano(a musical song that is supposed to do good)and how they were searching for it. From then on, Orb committed her life to finding the Llano. When Orb has no reason to stay at home she leaves her mother, Niobe, and goes in search of this mystic song. Orb travels around the world looking for the Llano. She joins a traveling circus so she can go all around India. Then it ends and she goes to visit Luna. She ends up joining and band that travels around for the Llano.Then one day Orb was in a trap and Natasha rescued her. Then she met Natasha and fell in love with him. His voice was a match for hers. One day Niobe went to tell her daughter,Orb, that she was being offered the chand to be the green mother. Was Natasha working for Satan or was he Orbs true love?

4.0 out of 5 stars If Only I Had Read Them In Order..., Dec 5 2001
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
The availability of the Incarnations series for me left a lot to be desired. You see, I read "On A Pale Horse" (Death), followed by excerpts from "Wielding A Red Sword" (War), the only two I had a chance of reading. So, when "For Love Of Evil" (Satan) came available, I jumped at it, even though it was out of order. Thus, when I finally got the chance to read the other 3 (including "Being A Green Mother" [Nature]), I knew how they ended. But I still enjoyed them greatly. As the series continued, I found that Anthony referred back to earlier episodes more and more. This is fine if you read from #1 to #6 in order, but if not, it can make things a little confusing. Luckily, Anthony's writing style made it easy for me to understand the basics of what was happening, preserving the flow of the book at hand, without giving away too much when I went back and found the other books. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The series' best, July 10 1999
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
I used to love Piers Anthony. I worshipped him. Now, to be honest, I absolutely can't stand him. And yet, there are certain select books which I still love. The two at the top would have to be A Spell for Chameleon and Being a Green Mother. Being is a wonderful book, by far the best of the Incarnations of Imortality series. The plot is unpredictable (if a bit irrelevent-seeming at first), the characters are memorable, and the scenes are fascinating. I find myself going back and rereading parts of the book. I have half of a latter chapter memorized. As I said before, I detest Anthony, but I must admitt that he is a king of dialogue, and this is best displayed in Being a Green Mother. Read it, if only to learn how to write from it. Writing is one of my fortes, and my favorite thing to do, and as much as I hate it, my dialogue owes the most to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet, Another Wonderful Read in the IOI Series, May 13 2004
James Duckett (St. George, Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
After being introduced to the wonderful nature (pardon the pun) of Orb in the fourth book, it was wonderful to come back and revisit her and really get to know her in this fifth book of the Incarnations of Immortality series. Of particular interest is what happened to her shortly after Mym left... which is the setup for book #2 (Norton's love, Orlean) and the last book.
As with all of the other books, Satan is there to cause mayhem in her life as he continues to champion the cause of evil. When Orb meets and starts to fall in love with a man named Natasha (his father wanted a daughter) she is warned by all of the incarnations that Satan might have a hand in it and to be on her guard.
This book is very good, and you see how all of the Incarnations are related to each other in one way or another... including Satan, the Incarnation of Evil.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, March 14 2000
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book only to continue reading this series in order, but when I finished, I was glad I did. It was simply amazing. Admittedly, it did drag in parts. But watching Orb progress throughout her life, learning how to be Gaea and not realizing it, was interesting, and a different spin in the rest of the books. The Natasha story line, and the ending of the book just left me stunned. Speechless. I had to reread the last chapter a couple of times. I'm quickly reading through another book right now so I read For Love of Evil, and find out some of Satan's thoughts on what was going on there. DEFINITELY read this book ... be warned, however ... even though all of the Incarnations books say they stand alone, it really helps to read the series in order.

1.0 out of 5 stars the series just gets worse, July 14 2004
fezabel (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the only review I will write for the entire Incarnations of Immortality series because the review will be about the same for each book.
The series is uneven most of the time, with philosophy thrown in with annoyingly cute humor and cliches. This book is the worst of the lot. It goes on and on about this quest, following the exact same formula as in all the other books. The only thing that changes is the point of view depending on what character is highlighted.
It's boring. It's a waste of time. The only good thing about this book (and all the rest) are the interesting concepts about Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil, and Good. The premise is okay, but the storytelling is awful. Read one book and consider yourself done.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but the worst in the series, Feb. 15 1999
This review is from: Being a Green Mother (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was really good. I loved it. The reason I say that it was the worst in the series is because every other book adds something to the character. This one just... well.... didn't. Every other book displays the powers of that specific Incarnation, and how they interact with other incarnations. In this book, Orb became Gaea towards the end of the book, and you didn't really learn what she can do. You know that she is the most powerful Incarnation besides God or Satan, but you don't see any of her powers in this book. It was still a good story, but not as good as any other. My advice- skip this and read "For Love of Evil," which is the best book in this series by far, and my all time favorite book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Being a Green Mother
Being a Green Mother by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 12 1988)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92