5.0 out of 5 stars For Everyone
In his book, Dr. Sagan takes the reader on a tour of the universe and a ride through time that belittles our existence but at the same time reveres it. But Dr. Sagan does not forget who he is writing for. One of the ideas behind the unbelievably popular companion tv show of Cosmos was that the general public is more interested in and capable of understanding science...
Published on March 13 2004 by Chad Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars Good episodes
I liked this series on television. It showed 3 times. However, the last 2 repeats included updates at the end of a few episodes, like the ones about Venus and Mars. This book excludes those updates. (It's probably the same with other editions, and the video/DVD sets.)
Published on March 2 2003 by R. Kramp

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmos - What DONT you want to know?, Jan. 10 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmos (Paperback)
The Book Cosmos by Carl Sagan is the best book to read if you want to know everything. With it's extensivly detailed explanations and stunning pictures, there IS no better book about the Universe as it is today, as it was, and as it will be. I am only 14 and read this book last year. It opened my eyes to what is an unimaginably large universe, and helped me decide what to do with my life.
I was very sad to learn of Carl Sagan's death (20th Dec 1996) as he was probably the best person to talk to to find out about anything.

In deep Respect,

Russell Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible for Agnostics, Dec 29 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: Cosmos (Paperback)
"Cosmos" the book is the next best thing to the series
itself. In fact, the book "Cosmos" goes into some
details that could not be covered in the series.

Much of the spectacular artwork from the series can
be found in the book, as well as Sagan's WONDROUS
explanations of "what makes it all go".

To quote Dr. Sagan, "Cosmos" can be summarized with
the sentence, "The universe is KNOWABLE", and "Cosmos"
is a beautiful description of some of the most
fascinating things we've have come to know about
the universe through science.

It has become like a Bible to me -- many of my
one of a kind letters and articles are tucked between
it's pages.

If you like learning about the world and the universe
around us, this is a book for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good episodes, March 2 2003
R. Kramp (Parow East South Africa) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art!!!, Aug. 20 2001
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
Carl Sagan is a wonderful writer in the sense that he takes very complex subjects such as einstein's theory of relativity and makes it very easiily understandable to the layman. He has such a passion for his work, that he is able to draw people into his world with his wonderful examples and descriptions. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested even in the least bit about the universe. If i could, i would rate this book a 6! It is just that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Science For Dummies, Sept. 18 2002
Bill R. Moore (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos (Hardcover)
Carl Sagan, with this remarkable book and its like-named television series, introduced millions of people to the wonders of science. The 13-part series, which has now been seen by over half a billion people, aside from introducing many people to science, was also enormously influential - can one imagine the success of the modern Discovery Channel and its ilk (actual 24-hour science networks) without Sagan? Hardly. Undoubtedly, many of the leading figures in science today would credit Sagan with introducing them to the field in the first place. Perhaps even more importantly, however, Sagan did that incredible, seemingly almost impossible thing: he interested the average layman in science. Whether he was a "real" (whatever that means) scientist or not, as some refuse to concede, is totally beside the point: what he accomplished was monumental, and he should be given the credit he deserves. Many supposedly open-minded individuals would keep science esoteric and its knowledge among the hands of an elite few; Sagan not only pointed out why this is wrong, but also devoted his life to vigorously seeing that it never became so. This book is remarkable in that it explain many difficult and far-reaching concepts in relatively simple terms that most people will be able to understand - and even enjoy. Unlike many college textbook authors, Sagan, for the most part, keeps his personal biases out of the writing, and he rarely gets overly technical. This is truly a book that all can enjoy. There are many photographs and quotes strewn throughout the book as well, to pep up interest in the text. This is a great general, all-around book on science for the layman: truly a "Science For Dummies." And, unfortunately, this book is often pigeonholed as a book solely on astronomy (the section in which you're likely to find it at bookstores), but don't let the title fool you: this book at least touches on all the major aspects of science, as well as quite a bit of history. Evolution is given a clear and concise overview, genetics is more than touched upon - and Sagan even induldges in a bit of the social sciences. However, the book, unfortunately, does grow less interesting towards the end, where Sagan uses the text to push his own agendas (radio astronomy, later the basis of his excellent science fiction novel, Contact; and a dated plea for peace in the nuclear arms race, which, though commendable and worthy, now smacks a little too highly of Cold War paranoia.) All in all, though, this is an excellent, highly interesting, and immensely readable book that works very well as introduction to the science (in particular, astronomy) for the common man, as well as guiding him towards that all-important virtue: open-mindedness. Along with Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time and some (unfortunately) long-out-of-print books from Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov, this is perhaps the best type book of its kind. Highly reccommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine introduction, but...., July 18 1999
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
Sagan's "Cosmos" is a fine generalization of the different elements and processes that drive our universe. Yet, the book (like all other books) is only a step in our development as human beings, and should not be revered too greatly. Like the religious scriptures' biases toward mystery and metaphysics, "Cosmos" expresses all the prejudices and assumptions of a biologist: in summa, one who wishes to be truthful must read the book critically (Note, for example, Sagan's belief in evolution by natural selection).
For serious scientific understanding, one would be best studying the disciplines' origins and histories, through their primary sources: the Ionian philosphers, the Arab astronomers, Renaissance authors, Einstein's explanation of Special and General Relativity, and so forth. This will take energy (which most folks are too lazy to exert), but the intellectual and spiritual rewards are ample.

2.0 out of 5 stars Carl Sagan Writes This More Like An Essay, Jan. 3 1999
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
Carl Sagan, I believe wrote this book more out to be an essay of what he believes. That sometimes can be a little over-the-top. Usually a long essay will not put out the message fully. The ending of this book didn't truly fulfill what I wanted to read. The book does have some good points about the cosmos but it perhaps put too much emphasis where the book should not have went by doing too much info on the scientists of the cosmo. The truth is, this science book didn't fulfill what I expected of it. And thats all I have to say about this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money...can I give less than one star?, Feb. 3 2003
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
Carl Sagan...lets start with the good. He is given credit for making a 70's style science series with the same name as this book. People had never seen science specials like this and he cashed in by introducing so many people to it. Aside from having a good publicist and some enthusiasm this tv series is Sagan's ONLY real contribution to astronomy. If you read this book you see why it appealed to people uninterested in astronomy. First it is extremely basic and if you have a college level education than you probably already know most of what is in this book. Second it skips around chapter to chapter like episode to episode. Works great on PBS but it makes for a jumbled unorganized book.
Now that was the good. As an amatuer astronomer you can only read what is published and inevitably you'll read a reference about Sagan. In it some will refer to him as though he were a real genius like Steven Hawking. Sooner or later either this book or Pale Blue Dot will come across an amatuer astronomers desk. One day I decided to finally read cosmos and let me tell how disappointed is. This is the only book in the last five years, or in recent memory for that matter, I have been unable to finish. Ive read reviews that said the end was slow...I never even got that far. Read any astronomy book and it will be more educational than this one. Not to mention everything is hopelessly dated in the book.
In conclusion Sagan has been dead for nearly a decade. He gets credit way to much for stuff he didnt do. Many books even today reference to him again and again then leave out the truly visonary scientists that did all the work. If you want to read about a true visonary find a book on Verner von Braun, it wont be easy cause there are too many books on Sagan that you have to sift through. The reason I use this as an example is that Von Braun is a ghost in american history when he single handedly kept the US from getting blown out of the space race. He is the true opposite of Sagan. Any book in the astronomy section would be a better choice than this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars an atheist's quagmire, Nov. 29 2000
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
I was a teenager in India when I watched the TV serial, Cosmos. Unfortunately I was swept away by Sagan's smooth rhetoric and thought Sagan's Science had all the answers. I discarded my Christian faith.
For the next 10 years, I still thought so; I avidly read books like Sagan's "Dragons of Eden", "Boca's Brain" and all the 'Zen...' books and many more.
However I came to a road block. There are questions that they cannot answer - Where did I come from?, Where am I going?, What happens after I die?, and the ultimate, Does my life matter?
The answers to these questions are found only in the words of Jesus. Sagan died a few years ago, a fervent atheist till the end. But I am certain, that where he is right now, he will agree with me (I am sad to say so) with despair.

1.0 out of 5 stars an atheist's quagmire..., March 16 2004
Anil Philip (Olathe, KS. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos (Mass Market Paperback)
(3/16/2004) My earlier review was written a while ago. If you are interested in Man's origins, then go to astronomer Hugh Ross' website "Reasons To Believe" (simply type in the keywords Reasons To Believe into any search engine).
------------

ARRAY(0xb36abd20)

Cosmos
Cosmos by Carl Sagan (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 12 1985)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available