5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!
Lately, have you run into any carnivorous Tangler trees? Haw about the gigantic, Roc bird, or a Manticore (shown on the cover of the book). Do you get your shoes of a ripe shoe tree. If so, you're living in Piers Anthony's magical land of Xanth!
Introducing the average, Earth dwelling human to this fantasy world could prove to be difficult. But Anthony mastered...
Published on April 14 2004 by Vega

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the right demographic....
You tend to see polarized reactions to Xanth. People either love it, or hate it. I think thats because the Xanth series has a limited appeal (mainly to boys between the ages of 11 and 14).
You see, I have been in both positions. In my pre and early teens I read just about every Xanth book there was, by my late teens I wouldn't get near any of Anthony's work. At...
Published on July 12 2000 by Austin Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars The is one of the worst SF novels ever., Feb. 12 1998
By A Customer
It is not so much because of this book, but because of the series that follows that I gave this book such a poor review. This book, bursting over with some of the smallest-minded puns imaginable is a work of what I believe is Science Fiction's Horatio Alger.
Piers Anthony relies upon the hormones of his teenage audience when he writes in the sexual innuendo that has been one of the main reasons for the success of his novels.
Furthermore, this novel, like all Piers Anthony novels, has a very easily predictable plot (it would be nice if the hero didn't always get laid by the end of the novel).
Look, for all you young Science Fiction fans out there, the 11,12,13 year old guys who just starting to really get into this genre, stay away from this guy. You'll regret ever picking up one of his novels in your 20's (heck I sure do).

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully sexist and cliche, Dec 29 2001
Rebecca D. Ganetzky (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
Anthony seems to lack a basic grip of common courtesy, and any grip at all of sense. I have read many Xanth novels (blind to the error of my ways...) but when I read Spell for Chameleon I refused to read anymore. A Spell for Chameleon operates on the basic principle that pretty women cannot be intelligent and intelligent women are, by nature, ugly; a theory that is degrading to women everywhere. Anthony also makes no secret of this thesis, stating the above overtly towards the end of the book. Anythony's puns are trite and dull, and his characters tired cliches. By far, one of the worst fantasy writers I have every read, to the point where even mentioning his name is banned at some fantasy cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has mystery, romance, comedy, and has been "medicine" to me., Sept. 21 1996
By A Customer
A Spell For Chameleo

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, Nov. 23 2000
Morgan Hardy (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked up this book because I enjoy humorous fantasy. What a terrible mistake. Anthony's much vaunted "humor" boils down to lots and lots of idiotic puns. Add to that a so-so plot, half developed characters, and blatant sexism, and you have a truly bad book.

A Spell for Chameleon
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - March 12 1987)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49