5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!
Lately, have you run into any carnivorous Tangler trees? Haw about the gigantic, Roc bird, or a Manticore (shown on the cover of the book). Do you get your shoes of a ripe shoe tree. If so, you're living in Piers Anthony's magical land of Xanth!
Introducing the average, Earth dwelling human to this fantasy world could prove to be difficult. But Anthony mastered...
Published on April 14 2004 by Vega

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the first book stop you!
Piers Anthony is a very uneven writer, and this book shows that more so than anything else I have read. The problem with Xanth is that you need to read the bad books to understand what is going on in the good books. And this is one of the worst books he has written.
The ideas are terrific in this book. He really did create a terrific plot full of delicious characters...
Published on July 30 2001 by Daniel J. Fawcett

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed is an understatement, May 14 2002
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read two of Anthony's books, "Spell For Chameleon" and "Centaur Aisle". Now, I think that he has potentials. I think that he's somewhat good at thinking up plots and I like his whole idea of the Xanth world. I also like the idea of the people. And the different magic talents he thought up are something I would never have thought of myself (well, some of them I would, but far from all of them).
However, I think he's a poor writer. I don't think he knows how to make things interesting. I have, I admit willingly, only read two of his books, but I disliked the main character in both of them. Actually, I dislike all of the characters and if there might be one I don't actually dislike then I feel indifferent towards him/her. The only reason why I continued to read the story is because I wanted to know how it ended, but I skipped several passages and just glanced at the words because it's far too dull for me to read. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and despite the good ideas in it I don't see what the big fuss is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 29 2015
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
Grandson loves this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The is one of the worst SF novels ever., Feb. 12 1998
By A Customer
It is not so much because of this book, but because of the series that follows that I gave this book such a poor review. This book, bursting over with some of the smallest-minded puns imaginable is a work of what I believe is Science Fiction's Horatio Alger.
Piers Anthony relies upon the hormones of his teenage audience when he writes in the sexual innuendo that has been one of the main reasons for the success of his novels.
Furthermore, this novel, like all Piers Anthony novels, has a very easily predictable plot (it would be nice if the hero didn't always get laid by the end of the novel).
Look, for all you young Science Fiction fans out there, the 11,12,13 year old guys who just starting to really get into this genre, stay away from this guy. You'll regret ever picking up one of his novels in your 20's (heck I sure do).

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully sexist and cliche, Dec 29 2001
Rebecca D. Ganetzky (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
Anthony seems to lack a basic grip of common courtesy, and any grip at all of sense. I have read many Xanth novels (blind to the error of my ways...) but when I read Spell for Chameleon I refused to read anymore. A Spell for Chameleon operates on the basic principle that pretty women cannot be intelligent and intelligent women are, by nature, ugly; a theory that is degrading to women everywhere. Anthony also makes no secret of this thesis, stating the above overtly towards the end of the book. Anythony's puns are trite and dull, and his characters tired cliches. By far, one of the worst fantasy writers I have every read, to the point where even mentioning his name is banned at some fantasy cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has mystery, romance, comedy, and has been "medicine" to me., Sept. 21 1996
A Spell For Chameleo

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, Nov. 23 2000
Morgan Hardy (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked up this book because I enjoy humorous fantasy. What a terrible mistake. Anthony's much vaunted "humor" boils down to lots and lots of idiotic puns. Add to that a so-so plot, half developed characters, and blatant sexism, and you have a truly bad book.

A Spell for Chameleon
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - March 12 1987)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49