5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun at Any Age
I first read this book when I was 12 or 13. It was great. I recently have re-read it, at age 33, and it is still a good read. A Spell for Chameleon is one of Mr. Anthony's best books even after 20 years as a writer and well worth the read for anyone interesting in magic or fantasy.
In particular, the story centers on a young man named "Bink." In any...
Published on Nov. 24 2000 by Richard La Fianza

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an ok book
This book was ok. It so would have been better if he left out the nudity in it but besides that it has a good story line and good meaning too it. I won't be buying any of his other book though maybe checking them out at the library but definitely not buying them.
Published on Jan. 31 2002 by M. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book yet i find, Sept. 15 2003
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book to be very good and i was from then on very interested to read the rest of his series. I think that he has a great imagination but i found the other novels in this series were not as good yet I would class this won as great fun. I hope you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***FASCINATING***, Aug. 9 2003
Autumn Weisweaver (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this book. I'm not a huge fan of science ficiton, fantasy or otherwise, but this book is absolutely enchanting. A Spell For Chameleon was the first Xanth novel I read and I've since read every one that I could get my hands on. A "must-read" for anyone looking for lighthearted, engrossing books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm finally interested in reading again!, May 30 2003
jif101 (Oak Hill, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
After college, I lost interest in picking up a book and reading for pleasure -- most of the books I read had put me to sleep, and I always thought of reasons to put it off. This book sparked my reading interest. Xanth is a very mystical place to visit, and this magic-filled fantasy land took me places I had never imagined. If you enjoy fantasy, magic, adventure, and a little bit of dragons, this book is a MUST READ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild and Crazy, May 7 2003
Severa (Tórshavn Faroe Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I couldn't decide whether to keep puzzling over this book or just laugh myself silly, its that good.
Young Bink is in trouble. Unless he can prove to the senile old king that he has a magical talent al his own, out he goes. Only the magical may stay in Xanth, and facing life in the outside world, Mundania (you guesses it, here), is more than Bink can take, particularly since it means parting from the girl he loves. So, he sets out on a quest to find his talent, and his place in the world.
The book has its fair share of bad puns and clever lines, but most of the humour comes from the ridiculous situations that can happen only in Xanth. Imagine a world where everything is magical to some degree. Than imagine a world where everything is completely weird. Than ad the fact that every tiny little problem always escalates to a huge catastrophe. Multiply by ten. Than you have Xanth.
If you like Terry Pratchets Discworld, you will probably like Xanth too. Give it a try. And have fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars a fun beginning, Feb. 18 2003
Joe Sherry (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the book that first got me reading fantasy novels. I read this for the first time when I was in 8th grade, I believe (now 23 years old). At the time I found it to be a simple, fun to read novel that got me interested in the world Piers Anthony created. It also got me interested in other fantasy novels, and I moved along from Anthony to Eddings, Brooks, McCaffrey, Feist, Jordan, and Martin. Anthony's Xanth series is what got me started, however.
I think I've read about half of the Xanth series, and it is apparent that the novels are becoming less and less serious. The books become filled with puns, and everything magic is punned. A Spell for Chameleon is the first Xanth novel, however, and there is very little of the punning that the series is known for (and may be the downfall of the series). This first novel sets up the series and defines what Xanth is and what kind of land this is. Xanth is shaped like Florida, but is not actually connected to the United States. It is a separate world filled with magic. Anthony teases that all of the magical creatures in Earth's legends actually were real (dragons, centaur, harpy, sphinx, etc), but they came from Xanth by mistake. Xanth is a magic land is somehow connected to our world, but not in any fixed location. The human population of Xanth was settled by Mundanes (our world is called Mundania) in a series of waves of Invasion, as the Mundanes (from various parts of the world) discovered passages to Xanth. While humans don't naturally have magic when they arrive, any children born in Xanth do in fact possess magic.
When this novel begins, we know there is a Shield blocking any more Waves of invasion from Mundania (prior waves had been mostly violent). The king is an old man with failing health and he has decreed that any citizen who has reached his 25th birthday must be able to demonstrate his magical talent (everyone has just one) or be exiled to Mundania (beyond the Shield). Bink is a young man nearing his 25th birthday and he has not yet discovered his talent. He is journeying to the Good Magician Humphrey to discover his talent. As Bink travels, we learn more about what type of land Xanth is, and discover some of the most prominent features of the land. Humphrey knows that Bink has a Magician level talent, but is unable figure out what the talent is. Bink is still to be exiled.
While I feel that the novel has lost something over the years, it was still a very enjoyable read and it is fun to revisit the world of Xanth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning., Jan. 15 2003
"sccflood" (Rio Rico, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is an excellent read, and is great way to introduce kids into the world of novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book from a great author., Dec 2 2002
B. Skeen "dragonsgold2000" (Bellevue, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the greatest books for people to read in the fantasy genre. I first read this book when I was 13 years old. At first it took me a while to get through it, I couldn't understand why. I finally sat down one day and forced myself to start reading it and I have been thankful for that everyday since.
This book sends you deep into the wonderfully created world of Xanth, a seemingly alternate fantasy universe of Florida strangely enough. The characters in the book are all extreamly colorful and delightful. The main character, Bink, is the classic bumbling hero treading through life trying to find a magic talent before he is kicked out of Xanth forever and sent into the dreaded Mundania. He faces many trials by magic and pure thought and somehow is able to escape most situations without even a scratch, strangely enough..
If you like a story with fun situations and exciting adventures, then this is for you. If you like puns and humor, then this is for you. If you like fantasy, then this is for you. Grumps, people searching for the worst in everything and those without imagination need not apply for this is the wrong book for you. Enjoy a classic at its finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars a spell for the reader, Sept. 21 2002
Sillas Family (Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Xanth. Piers Anthony's writing style is a flowing read of puns, sarcasm and common figuratives made literal. He still gives plenty of detail, enough to make you sigh and wish you lived there, or gasp and glad you're mundane. The characters are relatable, even though they are "magical". The adventure starts off quickly and maintains a romping pace thoughout. I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exellent Opening Volume of the Xanth Series (1 of 25), Aug. 18 2002
"hari__seldon" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book of what now numbers 25 volumes in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Do not let the size of this series frighten you because each volume is an individual story in and of itself and can be spread out between more serious works you may be reading. I do, however, recommend that you read the books in order to understand them even better. Have you ever read something serious and wanted a humorous break? That is what this book and the whole series is. It is comic fantasy that soars, suprisingly often, into areas of profound ideas and philosophies. It does not shy away from ... attractions either and this is incorporated well into the book. This, the very first Xanth book, details the young man Bink and his quest to try to discover what his magic talent is. Everyone in the magical land of Xanth has a talent. If you don't discover it before your 25th birthday you are banished forever to Mundania, a boring place similar to the realities of Earth. Bink does this to stay with and marry his sweetheart, Sabrina. During his quest he goes through many dangers and encounters Centaurs, Evil and Good Magicians, a Sorceress of Illusion, a soldier, and others along the way. He goes through many adventures and it should be pointed out that their are actually 2 quests within this one book. The author does not have a heavy male or female bias but writes to please everybody. He has alot of fans of both genders. He displays an intimate understanding of love and even of women's menstrual periods! This is a very funny fantasy novel with love, trust, honor, and lots of ... appeal at its core. I think you may love it, I really did.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Book, July 26 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Spell for Chameleon (Mass Market Paperback)
A Spell for Chameleon is the gateway to the magical, pun-filled world of Xanth. This is a definit must read, even if you don't want to read the entire series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

A Spell for Chameleon
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - March 12 1987)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49