4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting yet challenging book
Published on May 7 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, but avoids the action
Obviously written by someone who cannot write action sequences well. All the battle scenes are either short, or related second hand, like a greek play. Interesting characters, but the plot is just too slow. I felt I had to write this after reading the other two reveiws here.
Published on Feb. 14 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting yet challenging book, May 7 2000
This review is from: King's Justice (Mass Market Paperback)
I really didn't enjoy reading this book, yet it was challenging. Even though there was some fighting action that kept me in suspense, I had a hard time remembering some of the characters. I would read about one family and then start reading about another family. Then, when a character tells that another person is in the family, I get confused. One reason might be that I read volume II of this book, instead of volume I. Even though I was confused, I would recommend this book to someone who likes to read about knights and learn about a 17 year old teenager who struggles to do his best job as a king.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, Dec 22 1999
This review is from: King's Justice (Mass Market Paperback)
In this book kelson finally becomes a true King. He finds out that life is far from fair, but you have to live it anyway. He takes up challenges and causes that he probably never even concidered existed before, and i must say Mrs. Kurtz puts it to paper masterfully. She manages to take the readers into the kingdom of Gwynedd, and puts you right into the action next to her main characters I have grown to know and love. She keeps us on our toes with action and twists and turns in the story, so much so that it's more like watching a movie then reading a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I have ever read, Dec 22 2000
Melika (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
As a reader I always read series. The Deryni series is one of my favorite series! There is action in it(so much that I couldn't put it down).Mrs.Kurtz has the ability to set a plot and to take it under control, which is something many people lack. She tells the story in a way that when you sometimes compare it with your everyday life, you say well, there are many people who are stuck somewherer in life because of others(like poor Kelson). I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy books and hope that Mrs.Kurtz comes up with other series about Deryni!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely one of the best books I've ever read!, July 23 1998
This review is from: King's Justice (Mass Market Paperback)
I fell madly in love with Kelson Haldane from the moment I picked up 'The Bishop's Heir', the first book in this series, but this particular book is, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy about the young Haldane King. I am not a Christian, but I appreciate Kurtz's expert blending of the rich ceremony of what is obviously a parallel of the Catholic church, and Arthurian-type legend into this marvelous tale. I had no interest in heraldry before I read the trilogy, but now I am fascinated by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting twist, Dec 22 1999
AS one of Mrs. Kurtz biggest fans, i have to say i was pleasantly surprised with the twists of this novel. With the intruduction of Dhugal as a main characters, and managing to tie him in to the "family" so nicely was simply amazing. I was glad to see further character growth and developement and was impressed with how they seem to be learning from each other(and past mistakes). I highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys fantasy of any kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good series, July 12 1999
By A Customer
Kurtz creates a fascinating medieval fantasy world in this first book in the series. Power struggles between Church and state, civil war, well developed characters, and of course, magic. If you like fantasy, magic, and political intrigue, you'll love this book. Her writing style improves with each novel she writes. I hope she's working on another Deryni series, they're one of my favorites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Aug. 14 1999
This review is from: King's Justice (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this second book in Katherine Kurtz's trillogy of Deryni novels. It was very dramatic, suspenseful, and extremely entertaining. Kurtz does a skillful job of blending midevil court life, the Catholic church, and magic into a gripping novel with a stunning conclusion that sent me after the final book in the trillogy, The Quest for Saint Camber.

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, May 9 1999
By A Customer
The ideas in this book spark a lot of interest: magic, a bishop with a son (who's not even a bastard!), a suppresed race, a kingdom on the brink of war...all revolving around the nobility, church, and royal family of Gwynedd. For anyone who loves midevil fantasy and magic, this book is a must-read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, but avoids the action, Feb. 14 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in the series!, Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: The Bishop's Heir (Hardcover)
"The Bishop's Heir" is one of my favorites in this series -- fantastic writing; wonderful, well-developed characters; adventure; intrigue; brotherhood; loyality; friendship; sacrifice; and some humor thrown in for good measure. Who could ask for more?

King's Justice
King's Justice by Katherine Kurtz (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 12 1987)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01