5.0 out of 5 stars a Town like Alice
Life if the Australian outback and what it was like if you were a single white female. An old book that was a favourite of my Mothers so stands to reason that it would become a favourite of mine.
Published 1 month ago by K. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
The plot line was very interesting and I liked the characters, but the style felt a little laboured. I'm glad it I read it though.
Published 10 months ago by Angela B

5.0 out of 5 stars a Town like Alice, June 9 2014
K. Clark "love to read" (Brantford, Ontario) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Story., May 17 2014
This review is from: A TOWN LIKE ALICE (Kindle Edition)
Read this book. It still holds up and I am so happy to have read it. I think anyone would love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master author at work, April 7 2014
This review is from: A TOWN LIKE ALICE (Kindle Edition)
Over the years I have read all of Nevil Shute's books. while I have enjoyed them all, some have been particularly memorable. a Town Like Alice fits this category. what I particularly like about his work is that it could all be absolutely true. His knowledge about what he writes is very comprehensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Sept. 13 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars To the moon, Alice!, April 19 2013
NyiNya "NyiNya" (It was broken when I got here...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Paperback)
When is a love story not a romance novel? When is a book about Japanese POWs not a book about war? When it's A Town Like Alice.

I've been a fan since seeing the Masterpiece Theater version about 20 years ago (after which I had to immediately run out and buy the book. There are lots of reviews posted here, so we don't need another rehash of the plot. Suffice it to say, if you are NOT a romantic, if you are NOT a fan of romance novels, this is a book for you. The context of WWII and Jean Paget's experiences as a prisoner of the Japanese ring with accuracy. Her prosaic life in London, her eventual return to Malaysia and journey to Australia don't stretch credulity. The romance between Jean and Joe, and even her shy Scottish attorney's feelings for Jean, are beautifully developed. It's just a wonderful read, and Neville Shute never wrote a better book (although he wrote many, many worse ones).

There are two excellent filmed versions of a Town Like Alice. The Masterpiece Theater version stars Bryan Brown as Joe Harmon and Helen Morse as Jean Paget, with Gordon Jackson as Noel Strachen--a completely new and romantic turn for the actor I will always think of as Hudson-The-Butler. An earlier version with Peter Finch and Virginia McKenna is also very watchable. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Just read it. And then go out and rent the movies. Both of them. What are you waiting for? Don't miss this delightful story of war and remembrance and love.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Town Like Alice, March 8 2013
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Paperback)
I was happy to find Neville Shute's books again and this is a book I will enjoy reading again soon

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic will they- won't they tale with a nice twist., Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Mass Market Paperback)
This book opens in Malaysia during WW2, with descriptions based on Shute's own experiences in Indonesia during the war. In a chance encounter an English Girl and an Australian soldier meet and feel something special exists between them.
After the war, each attempts to contact the other. They travel the world to find out if their memories of that defining moment are real, or were a personal illusion, not held by the other person.
A real heart rending tale of true romance set in a passionate backdrop of war and the aftermath, and the wild spaces of central Australia. This is not just an Australian classic, it is a classic! A relly good memorable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you cannot forget, Oct. 27 2003
Inger Watts (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Mass Market Paperback)
I have listened to many of Nevil Shute's books, and this is my favourite. The book's starting-point is a real story that happened during World War II: When the Japanese invaded Sumatra, they captured 80 Dutch women and children. The prisoners were forced to walk along the roads for 2  years, and by the end less than 30 were alive.
Shute's novel takes place on Malakka, because he knew this island better than Sumatra. His main character is an English-woman called Jean Paget. In a touching way he describes how the women have to fight for their survival.
When the war ends, Jean is told that she has inherited some money, and decides to go to Australia to meet a man she cannot forget

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite ever books, Sept. 15 2003
A. Kelly "lorrainecooke" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this in a secondhand bookstore whilst travelling for a year in Australia, and spent three "rest-up" days on a hostel porch near not-very-exciting Bundaberg in Queensland, oblivious to everyone & everything but the unfolding events in this book. I picked it up because I had seen the excellent mini series with Bryan Brown many years earlier and hoped the book would prove an even richer experience. I was right. Quietly compelling & beautifully told, this novel made my heart ache to be leaving Australia whilst I was still there! This was one I selfishly took home with me, rather than the usual (and wonderfully welcome) backpacker practice of leaving books on hostel bookshelves for the next weary, and word hungry traveller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Storyteller, Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: A Town Like Alice (Mass Market Paperback)
Nevil Shute is a magician with the written word. Jean Paget is a true heroine, and somebody that I aspire to be some day. Joe Harman is the hunky Aussie cowboy. They are both heroes. This is a must read!!!! I guarantee you will love this book. It has all the essentials of a good story.

A Town Like Alice
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 12 1987)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01