5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly "punny"
This book is what caused my addiction to Xanth novels (along with whomever I shared the book with). It combines all the characteristics of an amazing series: humor, love, friendship, action. I've read this book over three times and I still can't get enough. I recommend this and every other Xanth book to all fantasy literature enthusiasts!
Published on Aug. 12 2004 by Annette

3.0 out of 5 stars A very spirited adventure with a little touch of sexism.
After years of trying to find the very first book of the whole Xanth series, I decided on "Orge, Orge". I truly love the brilliant use of idioms as gags (riding off on a nightmare, for instance) as well as the really hilarious scenes involving the gentle-natured orge and his girlish-girly troop. And there are also simply beautiful images so playfully painted...
Published on March 23 2000 by Banshee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly "punny", Aug. 12 2004
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ogre's Tale, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Ogre, Ogre, is another fantasy masterpiece written by Piers Anthony in the series of Xanth. The Xanth according to the story is located south of a mundane state called Georgia, which the land of magic Xanth is actually Florida. The fifth series of the Xanth saga, the story another problem in the world of Xanth that has to be solve by a group of heroes to solve their problem, which is one of the reason I like this novel. Another reason I would rate this a four out of five is that these series would put a reader into suspense and would want a reader to continue reading this book and asking him or herself what would happen next? Furthermore, the different twist between the modern world words, ex. Catastrophe, eye-queue etc. makes this saga unique from different fantasy series. Ogre, Ogre, the seventh series of the Xanth Saga, introduces the giant sized Ogre named Smash. Smash although still talks in rhymes and looked terribly ugly, is still different from any ogres. The only difference that changes his life is that he is a vegetarian. Now Smash goes on a quest to find romance meanwhile a half nymph/human female named Tandy also goes on a quest to find someone to protect her from the evil demon. However in the end, they both wind up together in a quest to help each other. However, due to Tandy¡s knowledge about ogres, Tandy is horrified to travel with an ogre and does not trust Smash. Furthermore, as their journey continues, the ogre and the halfling then encounter more damsels in distress, similar to Tandy¡s situation. With another few damsel following with there, how will the ogre Smash and the halfling¡s problems be resolved? Well, the only way to figure out their resolution of their problem is to¡Kread the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Xanth books, April 11 2003
Rosemary Lake (SF, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of my favorite Xanth books. Another favorite is VALE OF THE VOLE. They remind me of Oz: nice people travelling together and coping with obstacles and odd creatures. The characters here are livelier and more interesting than in VALE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, April 7 2002
Jennifer Rosevear (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
First, I don't read SF as a rule, but someone left this book at my house, so I picked it up. What a great read - the puns and wordplays captured my interest, and now I've found myself reading and re-reading looking for things I missed the previous times through. I've gotten so hooked I've ordered other books from the Xanth series. I'd definitely recommend this one to SF fans and non-fans alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Nov. 29 2001
Judy Wood "auntysocial" (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Smash is my kind of man. Sensitive, but destructive. Although my true preference in Piers Anthony books is the Incarnations of Imortality, The Xanth series is worth reading. This book, in particular, is my favorite of this series. Poor Smash, doesn't know what his question is, but serves his time for the answer, and finds himself surrounded by females and unable to crunch any of their bones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ogre Quest, Aug. 23 2001
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Smash Ogre is sent on a quest to answer the question that he did not know he had.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a great Vacation!, March 30 2001
yancie (Valdosta, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Orginally, I only was going to read this to get an idea why a friend of mine is always calling himself an ogre. I wondered into Xanth having no clue what to expect except that their would be an ogre somewhere around. I found myself deep in the mysterious underground. I didn't see anything that caught my eye at first but I decided to investigate a little before I left. I was amazed by the things I found by exploring the underground and soon found myself aboveground. Again, I was totally enthralled by all. The more that I saw the more I was glad I stayed. Before I had to go back home, I had met many friends who have become dear to me. I had to sadly depart Xanth and reenter this Mundina that I exist in. I will not forget to visit again soon. The trip is well worth the effort. I will look forward to my next visit

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Xanth Book Yet, I think., Nov. 24 2000
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved all of the books in this series so far, so it is hard to choose a "best" one. But Ogre, Ogre, is definetely a good read. It maintains all of the traditions of the first four books, but the action is taken up a notch or two. It is much better then Centuar Isle, the four book in the series.
In Ogre, Ogre, like all of the books in the series, there is a quest or mystery. Here an Ogre, a vegetarian, travels in Xanth finding adventure and romance along the way. Smash, son of Crunch, like all ogres likes to rhyme. For this book, the rhymes are fun and add to the charm of the book.
Smash gets into trouble with a demon who, like all demons, are probably the most powerful creatures in Xanth. (But like all creature in Xanth, we learn that every creature or demon thinks their kind is the "most powerful.) Smash, who is really only half Ogre and half human, thus has a powerful foe to contend with. And, since he is only half Ogre, he appears to be at a disadvantage.
But, sometimes, your human half can be helpful too. In particular, humans are smarter then Ogres. If he can find a way to use his brain and his brawn, Smash may stand a chance. Otherwise he may be, well, he may be smashed by his opponents. Ogre, Ogre is another fun, good read. Plenty of surprises and twists, and much magic, makes this book a pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, July 12 2000
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Ogre ogre was one of those books I couldn't put down.Anthony is a fantastic author and I consider myself a fairly good judge.His Xanth novels are some of the best books I've read. Ogre Ogre Captures you and takes you on an imaginative adventure.You really start caring for Smash.Discovering his human side at last he realizes that there is more to life than tramping around xanths wilderness and scaring creatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will always rememebr Smash, June 27 2000
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is hilarious. Great puns. Smash is an ogre. They love to fight, the uglier the better and brains is something to be avoided. It has some great fights which shiows the strength of an ogre. Smash runs into an Eye Queue (IQ) vine and becomes smart. He regards it as a curse, as ogres are proud of their stupidity. Ogres are also soulless, emotionless creatures, and Smash is not; over the course of the adventure he becomes more and more of what we would call humanlike. Though Smash knows he is an Ogre. His adventure triggers new feelings, which at first he doesn't understand, and eventually becomes comfortable with the idea of being a soulful human being while maintaining the ability to bash someone's brain in at need. When you remeber Smash's speach panterens, you forget how horrible Ogres' are suppose to be. A must read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ogre, Ogre
Ogre, Ogre by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 12 1987)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89