5.0 out of 5 stars Best Xanth Book Yet, I think.
I loved all of the books in this series so far, so it is hard to choose a "best" one. But Ogre, Ogre, is definetely a good read. It maintains all of the traditions of the first four books, but the action is taken up a notch or two. It is much better then Centuar Isle, the four book in the series.
In Ogre, Ogre, like all of the books in the series, there...
Published on Nov. 24 2000 by Richard La Fianza

3.0 out of 5 stars A very spirited adventure with a little touch of sexism.
Published on March 23 2000 by Banshee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ogre's Tale, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Ogre, Ogre, is another fantasy masterpiece written by Piers Anthony in the series of Xanth. The Xanth according to the story is located south of a mundane state called Georgia, which the land of magic Xanth is actually Florida. The fifth series of the Xanth saga, the story another problem in the world of Xanth that has to be solve by a group of heroes to solve their problem, which is one of the reason I like this novel. Another reason I would rate this a four out of five is that these series would put a reader into suspense and would want a reader to continue reading this book and asking him or herself what would happen next? Furthermore, the different twist between the modern world words, ex. Catastrophe, eye-queue etc. makes this saga unique from different fantasy series. Ogre, Ogre, the seventh series of the Xanth Saga, introduces the giant sized Ogre named Smash. Smash although still talks in rhymes and looked terribly ugly, is still different from any ogres. The only difference that changes his life is that he is a vegetarian. Now Smash goes on a quest to find romance meanwhile a half nymph/human female named Tandy also goes on a quest to find someone to protect her from the evil demon. However in the end, they both wind up together in a quest to help each other. However, due to Tandy¡s knowledge about ogres, Tandy is horrified to travel with an ogre and does not trust Smash. Furthermore, as their journey continues, the ogre and the halfling then encounter more damsels in distress, similar to Tandy¡s situation. With another few damsel following with there, how will the ogre Smash and the halfling¡s problems be resolved? Well, the only way to figure out their resolution of their problem is to¡Kread the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Xanth Book Yet, I think., Nov. 24 2000
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
In Ogre, Ogre, like all of the books in the series, there is a quest or mystery. Here an Ogre, a vegetarian, travels in Xanth finding adventure and romance along the way. Smash, son of Crunch, like all ogres likes to rhyme. For this book, the rhymes are fun and add to the charm of the book.
Smash gets into trouble with a demon who, like all demons, are probably the most powerful creatures in Xanth. (But like all creature in Xanth, we learn that every creature or demon thinks their kind is the "most powerful.) Smash, who is really only half Ogre and half human, thus has a powerful foe to contend with. And, since he is only half Ogre, he appears to be at a disadvantage.
But, sometimes, your human half can be helpful too. In particular, humans are smarter then Ogres. If he can find a way to use his brain and his brawn, Smash may stand a chance. Otherwise he may be, well, he may be smashed by his opponents. Ogre, Ogre is another fun, good read. Plenty of surprises and twists, and much magic, makes this book a pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hee hee hee, Nov. 27 1998
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
I had a strange experience with this book. One of the other reviewers stopped reading Xanth after this book, and I almost did too. Yet it was my dad's favorite. I asked him why, and he rattled off about ten reasons, none of which I remembered reading. That was really weird; normally I have good memory and reading comprehension. I quit reading Xanth for a while, getting more interested in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker stuff, and after I got through with that I decided to re-read the first four Xanths because they were so much fun. I got to this one, read it again, and loved it. I concluded that this was because it is hard to see an ogre as a human being, and therefore I, as a human being, had a hard time putting myself into it. I was a bit nettled at the concept of blanket trees too. So what's so great about this book? Well, you realize that the Good Magician Humfrey's answers ALWAYS make sense, but you don't realize that they do until they do, giving the querent greater satisfaction. This book is hilarious. It has some great fights, like Smash Ogre vs. the Gap Dragon, and Smash vs. another ogre, and Smash vs. demon. Smash runs into an Eye Queue (IQ) vine and becomes smart. He regards it as a curse, as ogres are proud of their stupidity. Ogres are also soulless, emotionless creatures, and Smash is not; over the course of the adventure he becomes more and more humanlike until he falls in love at the end. I don't know if this is realistic, but all through the story he thinks of himself as an ogre; no identity crisis in contrast to Bink in Xanth 1 or Dor in Xanth 3. His adventure triggers new feelings, which at first he doesn't understand, and eventually becomes comfortable with the idea of being a soulful human being while maintaining the ability to bash someone's brain in at need. My original dislike for this story was due to the fact that it was too dark and serious although humorous, but the second time through I came to appreciate that quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is 10 the best you could do? How about 100??, April 9 1998
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all the Xanth books up to Vale of the Vole, and Ogre, Ogre is my absolute favorite! It's fabulous! This is a romantic and adventurous story about an ogre-human cross, Smash, who finds out that he's not quite as stupid and fierce as he (and everyone else) always thought he was. My favorite part is '"Ogre, ogre, burning bright-" "Ogres don't burn!" "They do when they're stepping across the firewall," Tandy said, "trying to fetch a boat so the rest of us can navigate past the Loan Sharks. That's what reminded Chem of the poem, she said. The flaming ogre. Anyway, the poem tells how they go through the jungle in the night, the fiery ogres, and are fearfully awful." "Yes," Smash said, becoming pleased with the image. "We had a good laugh. You aren't fearful at all, to us. You're a big, wonderful, blundering ball of fur, and we wouldn't trade you for anything." "No matter how brightly I burn," Smash agreed ruefully.'

3.0 out of 5 stars A very spirited adventure with a little touch of sexism., March 23 2000
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre: (#5) (Paperback)
After years of trying to find the very first book of the whole Xanth series, I decided on "Orge, Orge". I truly love the brilliant use of idioms as gags (riding off on a nightmare, for instance) as well as the really hilarious scenes involving the gentle-natured orge and his girlish-girly troop. And there are also simply beautiful images so playfully painted to depict this very creative fantasy playground. (Hey, I used to live in Xanth - the "Tampa" area, to be exact!) There's one thing, however that totally turns me off. Some of the passages in this books reads as if a hormone-crazed adolescent boy had written it during his sexual fits. This attitude suggested a bit of good-humored predatory as well as that repulsive "love" scene between the orge and the little fairy maiden. So - that was the very last book I have ever read about the fabled land of Xanth.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will always rememebr Smash, June 27 2000
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is hilarious. Great puns. Smash is an ogre. They love to fight, the uglier the better and brains is something to be avoided. It has some great fights which shiows the strength of an ogre. Smash runs into an Eye Queue (IQ) vine and becomes smart. He regards it as a curse, as ogres are proud of their stupidity. Ogres are also soulless, emotionless creatures, and Smash is not; over the course of the adventure he becomes more and more of what we would call humanlike. Though Smash knows he is an Ogre. His adventure triggers new feelings, which at first he doesn't understand, and eventually becomes comfortable with the idea of being a soulful human being while maintaining the ability to bash someone's brain in at need. When you remeber Smash's speach panterens, you forget how horrible Ogres' are suppose to be. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a great Vacation!, March 29 2001
yancie (Valdosta, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Orginally, I only was going to read this to get an idea why a friend of mine is always calling himself an ogre. I wondered into Xanth having no clue what to expect except that their would be an ogre somewhere around. I found myself deep in the mysterious underground. I didn't see anything that caught my eye at first but I decided to investigate a little before I left. I was amazed by the things I found by exploring the underground and soon found myself aboveground. Again, I was totally enthralled by all. The more that I saw the more I was glad I stayed. Before I had to go back home, I had met many friends who have become dear to me. I had to sadly depart Xanth and reenter this Mundina that I exist in. I will not forget to visit again soon. The trip is well worth the effort. I will look forward to my next visit

5.0 out of 5 stars Ogre, oh Ogrely Ogre, Feb. 11 1999
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Smash is lovable. It's these types of books that make me always doubt whether it's real or not...scary... Anyway, I always rate Anthony's books a 5 star. But in Xanth (my fave series) the style of writing is a lot better in the first trilogy of 9 or so then in the later parts of the series, while the later part of the series all have better plots. It's a balance. I still like the idea of magic being so close yet inacessible because I don't believe hard enough... Read the whole series (in order). If not the whole series, then start reading with A Spell for Chameleon and stop when you feel like it (not in the middle of a book, of course, the endings are always great.) Anthony Rocks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and easy reading, July 15 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre: (#5) (Paperback)
While not a fan of Piers Anthony's mass market, book-pumping, auto-pilot, assembly line machine scheme, there are some noteworthy books in his otherwise generic and bland Xanth series. Having read all 18 or 20 books of the series, (they begin to grate on the mind) I must say that his first few books were his best. Ogre, Ogre, written so long ago was still fresh, the puns whimsical and the characters lovable. Good popcorn reading. Three star rating is given because I do not believe it is a classic, it does not distinguish itself enough from its brethren and all in all people are too generous with their ratings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ogre, Ogle her..., Nov. 29 1999
This review is from: Ogre, Ogre (Mass Market Paperback)
Smash and Tandy sittin' in a tree... not till later, at least. Piers strikes again with his puny (that is to say, full of puns) tales of the magic of Xanth. Good use of Chem Centaur, Goldy Goblin, Fireoak the Dryad, the Siren, et. al.- they're all a bunch of fun characters. And giving Smash his humanity- something he'd denied all his life despite his human mother- is a stroke of sympathetic brilliance. It makes you like the story more. One of the better Xanth novels.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ogre, Ogre
Ogre, Ogre by Piers Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 12 1987)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89