5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful story
Anne Rice has yet to write a book that I haven't adored. Regardless of those few "cool" people in the world that think hating a famous author makes them look intelligent, they are crazy. This story is about a young boy, thrust into becoming a man far too early, and becoming something much worse. I couldn't stop reading it.
Published on Aug. 8 2003 by S. Dye

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Historical Fiction
Published on Feb. 14 2003 by azmi21

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful story, Aug. 8 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating New Twist, March 18 2003
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finsihed reading this wonderful book by Anne Rice. For some reason I am a devoted fan but I never got around to reading this book until now. I love Azriel the Genie. He is an tantalizing, alluring figure.I found the beginning of the tale with the "author" Jonathan taping Azriel's richly detailed tale of ancient Babylonia fascinating.
After reading every one of Anne's Vampire and Witch stories I found a different type of supernatural character very refreshing. I also realized how timely the idea of Gregory Belkin's mastermind plot of mass destuction is during these times of terrorism. Leave it to Anne Rice to tell such a tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating New Twist, March 17 2003
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finsihed reading this wonderful book by Anne Rice. For some reason I am a devoted fan but I never got around to reading this book until now. I love Azriel the Genie. He is an tantalizing,sensuous and alluring figure.I found the beginning of the tale with the "author" Jonathan taping Azriel's richly detailed tale of ancient Babylonia fascinating.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Historical Fiction, Feb. 14 2003
"azmi21" (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't read this book if you are looking for a Vampire caper involving Lestat and his friends. This is about Azriel and his transformation into the Servant of the Bones. The story is actually in 2 parts. The first part about Azriel's past life in Babylon and the second part about Azriel's present situation. I found the first part to be more enjoyable due to Anne's lively and vivid description of Babylon. The 2nd part of the story about Azriel's present lacks drama and pace. The story could have been better if Azriel's past with his many masters had been fleshed out in detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I can tell you from listening to the audiobook, Dec 7 2002
Robert Lachman "secretpilgrim" (Red Hook, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an intersesting story, and it's just dripping in Anne Rice's writing style. It's a little predictable that way. And, the ending is sort of like Queen of the Damned. Since I didn't yet read the book I'm a little confused and don't really feel Azriel the way I get her Vampire characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best......., Dec 5 2002
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have ever read. This book has it all, history, romance and suspension. I think that everyone should read at least one Anne Rice book throughout their lifetime. Her novels for the most part are very informative. This book is proof of just that. Azriel is a great character, read this book and get to know him.

5.0 out of 5 stars great stori, Dec 3 2002
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
what can I say, except that I really liked this book. It was very interesting, it had a good history and a good storyline. I thought that Azriel was a very interesting character. I think that everyone should read this book. Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Rice novel..., Oct. 8 2002
S. Glozeris "Reader Extraordinaire" (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
Probably my second least favorite novel by Rice (second only to Memnoch the Devil). I found it boring, slow, and too complicated. It was difficult to follow and the character's motivations for doing anything were unclear. Otherwise, I'm a huge Anne Rice fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars didnt even finish it!!, June 22 2002
Shauna (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, im terribly sorry to say, but I absolutely despised this book. O.k. i dont DESPISE it, but it was so.....unamusing, not capturing and there deffinetely wasnt any adrenaline rush going on. thats how i usually feel with anne rice's books, the "cant put the book down" feeling and you end up staying up all night reading it. (even tho im only 14) i found it hard to stay foccused, even tho im pretty young i tend to read adult books, ones quite thick and heavy, but this one was small and i couldnt even finish it!! maybe its my lack of life experiences that kept me from understanding the book, but, i dont know, it just didnt appeal to me. Anyway, to people that are reading this that havent read the book yet, my advice is dont read it, but if it caught your attention by all means do so. But really, not a good book.

1.0 out of 5 stars if you gave a bunch of monkeys a bunch of typewriters..., May 7 2002
This review is from: Servant of the Bones (Mass Market Paperback)
...they would invariably write a better novel than this.
I'm not sure if the weird narrative dialog was a literary experiment gone horribly wrong or Ms. Rice's vain attempt to recapture some of the same quality as her 70s "Interview with the Vampire" classic, but whatever it was, it [wasn't good].
Perhaps this strange 'fourth-person' format works well when narrating a story verbally, but in a novel it just doesn't go. For the first 100 pages, I found myself at a total and devastating loss with regards to plot, setting, and character. I could, however, paint you a detailed picture of Azriel, whose eyes and thick hair are described so often it seems as though Rice was either trying to fill mothholes in her paragraphs, or had forgotten she'd already talked about them 5 times.
Generally speaking, I consider it poor form to write a review of a book, no matter how terrible, if I haven't completed it. However, the extreme drivel-factor of "Servant of the Bones" compelled me to share my thoughts on it although those first 100 confusing pages were all I managed to plough through.
If you absolutely must read a novel by Anne Rice, try out "Cry to Heaven"--what i personally consider one of her very few palatable works. If you're a real goth/vampire fanatic, "The Vampire Armand" is also worth considering.
Otherwise, steer clear. Spend your time on something with more literary value. If you can manage 600 pages of Rice, you can probably manage any number of classics.

Servant of the Bones
Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 28 1998)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89