‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart center Open Book, Feb. 5 2000
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
Once you've read it, it makes such sense: everything around us is connected to us and imbued with our energy -for better or for worse. Reading this I realised that I longed to have a home which was truely a home for my soul NOT just for my body and NOT (as I had been very apt to do) a home for the eye and thinking/cortical mind.
Interior design has it all wrong. Its head-led stuff. Fine if we were just heads on sticks. Feng shui is largely wrong too. Its rigid and full of superstition. Denise Linn gets it right. Our homes are places of the heart, places of the soul and places of the body.
She teaches us how to trust our instinct in creating places to live that are truely of us and for us. NOT for the visual consumption of the style critic. But for us to fully live in and experience the sacred in.
If you're ready for this book then you'll love it. If not, then you'll dislike it. But here's an idea of what's in it:
How to move stagnant energy out of a house. How to bring in new and beautiful energy into a home. How to use ritual. The central role of INTENTION - your intention - in creating the sacredness and spirituality of your home. Little tidbits about making moon water, and rainbow light. And a big emphasis on the earth and all the powerful tools she gives us to ground and enliven our homes:earth, water, fire and how to use these.
Take the plunge. Live in your house and hence your body/spirit/mind in a new way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, useful ideas, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
Forget fuzzy theories! This author gets right to the point with helpful, specific little ideas to make your home feel better and to make you feel better in your home. I have had this book for two years and continue to pick it up regularly and get ideas I can use. Some of the ideas fall within the realm of decorating while others get at changing the energy of a space with everything from chimes to water or candles. The book is very readable and easy to actually USE (unlike most of those feng shui books that go so deeply into theory that I never know what I am supposed to DO about it all!). For more specific decorating ideas in this same vein, I also highly recommend EVERYDAY COMFORTS, which is filled with practical ideas and beautiful color photos. I put those two books, Sacred Space and Everyday Comforts, plus a candle, in a birthday gift basket for my sister, and she loved it. Since buying Everyday Comforts, I find I am using that book all the time, too. It is relaxing just to flip through that book, but i love all the specific ideas that I can quickly accomplish to make my home more comforting.

This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
Denise Linn's books are always a pleasure to read. Through her eyes the world comes alive with mysterious enchantments, she sees unseen things, rather like my cat. I'm a little envious of her ability, but her writing generously provides guidance for opening doors I didn't know were there, so I bear no grudge. I begin wondering if there is a nature spirit in the shadiest part of the garden where the ferns are, or if the dank and neglected basement corner is harboring more than earth-bound spiders and mildew. You don't have to believe in the whimsical, it all makes perfect sense and her suggestions are practical as well as mystical. I will admit I have enough trouble cleaning the house without wondering what the energy is doing, having run out of energy myself, but there are enough suggestions that you can choose what suits you best if you'd like to perk up your home and yourself, and Ms. Linn is never judgmental or prissy. It doesn't hurt to be more sensitive to the effect our surroundings have on ourselves and others, and ultimately the idea is to make it more pleasant. Ms. Linn puts a lot of herself into her writing, resulting in a book filled with personal and colorful detail, and just reading it is cheering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the leap!, Dec 19 1999
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
SACRED SPACE is one of those books that certainly gives you food for thought. Denise Linn discusses energy in and around the home and work place. There is a small section on Feng Shui, but Denise's book is not at all about Feng Shui. SACRED SPACE shows you how to prepare yourself and your home for cleansing and clearing. How to clear the energy in such a way that you open your life to all the good stuff. :) What to look for when moving into a new home, and how to fix the energetic debris that is usually left behind long after the previous inhabitants have moved out.
From bells and gongs, salt and water, color, crystals, chanting and even introducing yourself to the space you occupy , Denise shows ways you can really make home "where the heart is". It's a book that's easy to read, with loads of information (even numerology for your house address!) and a light, good feeling, this book is an asset to any bookshelf. You don't have to be an energy worker or a spiritualist a healer or "New Ager" to appreciate Denise's offerings. You just have to have a home, and the will to make it "an oasis of peace amidst the turmoil".
The price is right, and Denise Linn's writing style, as always is concise and a pleasure to read. Take the leap! It's a lot of fun.
You'll find yourself chanting aloud in no time! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a serious book. The author is not a "flake"., July 15 1997
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
I was skeptical about reading this book but a good friend of mine recommended it. This friend has a photo of my daughter, her god-daughter, in a section of her house with a lot of other similar photos of friends and family, and one day she explained to me why my daughter's photo was in that particular spot in her house. Its placement was very intentional; it had something to do with affecting the "energy" of her home...then she told me about Denise Linn's book. This book is not a joke written by some far-out flake in California. This book is seriously written and researched by a highly educated and skilled woman. It is applicable not only to houses, but to any place of residence or even an office space. You are a part of your environment. The space in which you live affects your mood and psyche, and there are ways to improve your well-being by improving your environment. That is what this book is about. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It made a lot of intuitive sense, even if I didn't understand the "science" of it all

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise, non-judgemental, and inspiring, Aug. 26 2003
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
I read this book after I read Karen Kingston's "Space Clearing" book, and, even though the two authors apparently work together, the two books are like night and day in their approach. Ms. Kingston's book was very rigid and authoritative. Although Ms. Kingston's techniqes may work for some, her book made me feel anxious and "wrong". Ms. Linn's book encourages people to rely on their own intution and trust their own feelings rather than following traditonal "rules". She gives examples of space clearing techniques from many cultures and encourages you to make your own rituals rather than following some set technique.
You may not agree with all Ms. Linn's ideas, but she presents them in a way that allows you to consider them and then make your own decisions, rather than telling you that you have to believe what she believes. Reading this book was like talking to a wise, loving, friend - I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has forever changed the way I live, July 13 1998
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
I first discovered this book over a year ago, and with all of the enthusiasm of a new convert, I went around experimenting with the techniques and tools Denise explains in her book. I tried many things, and finally found, over time, that certain tools seemed the most useful to me, the most suited to my personality and goals. Today, I have several housecleaning rituals in place, some that I do daily, some weekly, and some whenever I feel the need.
Have you even felt that you lacked the motivation to finish a project? I have discovered that clearing the space has removed my desire to procrastinate time and time again. This assistance is invaluable for me because I telecommute and am constantly in my home. This book has made my life and work much easier! Thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical suggestions for transforming your home..., March 24 2000
Laura Haggarty (Northern KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sacred Space (Paperback)
This book is one I reach for over and over. It is chock full of practical things one can do to work with the energies of one's home. Linn goes over a variety of techniques for clearing and upgrading the energies of a home; from Feng Shui to smudging to cleansing with sound, light, and color.
She includes several informative sections on things like the numerology of homes (which I find fascinating), includes a Ba Gua map for your Feng Shui use, talks about tomems and various household protection rituals. I have the bad habit of dogearing pages which are important to me in a reference book, and her book must have thirty or more turned down, that's how valuable I find the info within. A real value, sure to be usefull.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sacred Space
Sacred Space by Denise Linn (Paperback - Dec 26 1995)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72