Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Kitchen giftguide Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on December 16, 2003
'Interview With The Vampire' by Anne Rice, I found this novel as something I wish that I did not read, but I decided to read it, and personally she is a master of the vampire, but this novel was my only Anne Rice novel, and was my last. I found the story to be slow, there was a lot of human emotion in this book, but I am used to being scared by vampires (Salems Lot for example) and vampires are just supposed to kill, there are some scenes where they do feed, but vampires are not supposed to have emotion, they are supposed to be blood suckers who haunt at night, and terrorize the town like in Salem's Lot.
I guess that I just have a different seeing on vampires. Anyway, the story follows around Lewis, a rich man in the 17 or 18 century, I cant remember, then he meets this vampire, and he turns into one, and he lives his life. The story takes place in two places in two different times: San Francisco, present, and New Orleans 17 or 18 century.
Lewis lives his life like he was still human, but I found this book to be too full of nothing, there is nothing exciting in this book, it is just him talking, and talking, and talking. It gets real boring, REAL FAST! I dont know what people see in this novel, but then I am not a big fan of Anne Rice, and I never will be. I just think that I rather just stick to Stephen King's Salems Lot if I want a real good vampire novel.
on May 11, 2003
_Interview with the Vampire_ is a train wreck of a novel. I'm told that some later Rice books are better, but based on this, I don't think I want to try them. The book's main problem is simply that Rice is not a very good writer. The storyline has a lot of promise, but it never pays off. The "interview" format of the book is irrating and unnecessary. It simply pulls us out of the story into an uninteresting situation where we know nothing of consequence is going to happen. Then, during the story itself, Rice's prose is so flowery and unsubstantial that it is difficult to gain any understanding of what characters are supposed to be feeling. Often the prose actually obscures the action with it's insistent long-windedness. The reason I'm giving two stars instead of one, is because Rice does manage a few really nice images, and occasionally is able to draw a scene for a page or two that genuinely incites empathy in the reader. For example, the way Louis first attacks Claudia, and then struggles with what to do with her later, is very well done. These kind of moments are the exception, not the rule though. Utlimately, Louis is a big whiner, while Lestat, Claudia, and Armand are never more than cardboard characters that I could basically not care less about. Don't bother with this book.
on February 24, 2001
I must tell you, if you wish to enjoy Interview with a Vampire,you cannot buy this audio production. F. Murray Abraham gives an execrable narration.
He spends the first 15 minutes of the book giving Louis a bizarre, vaguely Eastern European accent, and then, upon reading that our vampire is from New Orleans, tries something more soft and French.
The majority of the main characters are men of a youthful appearance: Lestat, Louis, Armand, the interviewer, etc. He attempts to give them different accents but does so quite inconsistenly. Their voices run together, making dialogue difficult if not impossible to follow.
His voice for Claudia is bad from start to finish. First he tries a high-pitched mewling unpleasant to the ears, and then the aged voice of a 60 year-old woman, which makes it difficult to keep in mind that she always, always has the aspect of a five year-old child.
After Lestat's murder, the voice given him is always unnatural, although faithful to the narration. It is bizarre and unpleasant to hear Lestat speak, although perhaps that is the one aspect that is true.
However, I must admit that I liked Anne Rice's story and will be reading the novel myself soon, as I find the relationships between characters quite fascinating.
on June 25, 1999
Upon skimming through this book, I am reminded of a friend's favourite saying: "The people of the night are not just the people of the day dressed up in black and hanging around in graveyards because they think it makes them cool." The story was written beautifully and I enjoyed the imagery immensely. But the content was insipid, the events of the plot repetitive, and the attempts at describing sheer misery laughable. A deeper understanding of depression would have helped Anne Rice to write a truly stirring book. But as it was, she neither created a convincing sense of oppressive sorrow nor maintained the hint of it she managed to achieve. The complaints about the pointlessness of vampiric existence seemed petty, especially in places where more thought-provoking comments could easily have been made.
This is not great literature. The lyrics of any Diary of Dreams song could create a more gothic mood. If you like books of the genre that Interview with the Vampire pretends to be, then by all means pick up Dracula. Better yet, read Shelley's Frankenstein or something by the Bronte sisters. Interview with the Vampire is written more skillfully than most thrillers and will keep you awake if you ever find yourself on night watch. But it is a pale shadow of the Gothic Novel, a few sticks in the mud masquerading as a great cathedral.
on April 30, 1999
A great many people are as loyal to 'Interview With The Vampire' as a man is loyal to the memory of his first love. And, like love, to criticize this book, no matter how well thought out, no matter how well intended, will not sway. Therefore I may be wasting my time in writing this short review, but I insist that 'Interview With the Vampire,' though it evokes the mood, has nothing to say. I mean nothing. For hundreds of pages the hero murders people, is in anguish about it, and continues to murder people. He does not murder people for any reason, other than to continue his miserable existence, so that he can murder more people. And yet, Ms. Rice asks us to believe that he is not a monster, not even a villain, but simply an everyman in a non-judgmental universe. But surely we find conviction, and the strength of our conviction from within. We expect this from ourselves and from others; and no one has any sympathy for a monster who fails to live up to that standard. And yet, this book is praised to the skies, has sold in the millions, and was made into an expensive - albeit a mediocre - movie. Go figure.
on October 31, 1997
Gothic pretense does not a classic make
nor big words a tale ;-{
Forgive me for not being awed, but pretentious hyperbole has never moved me overmuch. Anne Rice did not popularize the vampire's tale, that was done by Stoker several centures ago. Compared to Stoker's Dracula, this book drags on and on wearily like some wounded animal begging to be put out of its misery. I am more than glad to oblige. The writing is ponderous and dull, almost as if the writer were looking up bigger and more obscure words in a thesaurus. Sure the darn thing is gripping, the same way a dead man's hands are in Rigor Mortis!!! Believe me, I don't say this because this is not high literature. I'm an avid reader of comic books and "trash" fiction as well as poetry and literature. I do however, insist that each author should aim at one objective: the writing of a coherent and enjoyable book. Anne Rice fails to do this due to over-involvement in creating her little cult of pathetic gothic-wannabes. This book has absolutely no literary merit. If any of you want to read a good vampire's tale please pick up a book by Steven Brust - Agyar highly recommended (A lot less gore but far more interesting).
on August 15, 2000
Promises, but none kept! It entices with the intresting tale of Louis, a Louisiana plantation owner in the 1800's. Louis is made into a vampire by another vampire, Lestate. Louis' struggle with killing human to live and his resistance to give up human emotions makes him a likable guide through the world of vampires. The mysteries of vampires origins creates suspense, and when Louis leaves with a child vampire, Claudia, to discover them, the book flopps. Louis only runs around in circles in his mind about death. While one long anguishing muse is acceptable, a book cannot live on confusion alone. Had Ann Rice carried on with the plot moving vibrant painting she began with, this would have been a facinating book. Unfortunatly, I only finished the book because I hoped for awnsers to the questions asked in the beginning, but none were to be found. Bottom Line: Don't start reading it, you'll be stuck reading a book that reminds you of a long, draining dream.
on January 15, 1999
Anne Rice has a way with words. There are scenes in this book which are incredibly vivid and stand out in your memory (whether you like it or not). Many people will tell you about the homoerotic undertone in this book; the only reason they might count as "undertones" is because people are pretty blind unless there is a direct, lurid sex scene. We are dealing with one of the worst-matched couples of all time. Lestat is one of the most fascinating anti-heroes I have read about in a long time. Louis, conversely, is a whiner. Hey, catch a clue, Lou! If you don't want to be a vampire anymore, just leave off the sunblock on the beach! Stop agonizing and get over it! Of course, as we see in this book, it is a lot more difficult than that. It's next to impossible to kill a vampire. Just ask Lestat. For imagery I give this book good marks; for Lestat, also good; for Louis, nothing. For plot, well... I guess there was one...
on October 31, 2000
Firstly, I'll comment on the negative - the angst from Louis. What a moaner, whinger, whiner. Complain and the "oh, woe is me", just got too much. Lestat - couldn't you have picked someone else to spend eternity with?? I just hated that Louis character.
Didn't like the writing... blah, blah, blah. I guess since this was my first romantic horror goth type book, I didn't know what to expect. I found it hard yakker getting through this novel, but did it as I was halfway through when the hype hit about a movie being made, based on the story.
The positive - Lestat, how a vampire should be. Beautiful and flawed. So selfish, and so he should be. So manipulative, and should be after spending years roaming the world.
Conclusion - not in a huge hurry to read another Rice book. If I found one in my bookshelf and I had nothing else to read, I may consider it.
on November 14, 2001
two and a half stars...
first of all, i'm not bashing the book for its subject matter. i'm not a bible-thumping blowhard. as a writer/reader, i keep an open mind to all types of literature, so my review is about the story, not the subject.
i admit i don't care much for vampire/goth literature, i rarely watch horror movies, because most horror films are so badly made; same with horror novels. rice is an ok writer, but i never really felt like i was connecting with the story. lestat was actually a fascinating character, in spite of his arrogance.
there were actually a few times i wanted to retch, but i finished the book. it just didn't move me. i did love the way rice wrote about louisiana, especially new orleans. i would much rather read " feast of all saints.