5.0 out of 5 stars I felt this Book

3.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising
Published on Aug. 14 2001 by Ms Diva

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt this Book, June 11 2004
Jay Raskin "PhilosopherJay" (Orlando, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment, Spiritual Supremacy, and Sexual Satisfac tion (Hardcover)
I felt this book. Not just felt it, like holding it, I mean you have to hold a book to read it, but what I mean is I loved this book. It helped me get in touch with my inner comedian, the guy inside of me who wants to host a radio talk show and make $10,000,000 starring in a motion picture. Every chapter is hysterically funny. Well, not every chapter. The one by Ben Stiller having a guardian angel who looked like Hoss Cartwright is kind of like a bad sketch comedy bit that goes no where, but everything else in the book is right on and cool, to quote hip seventies language.
I guess it is kind of wierd to be praising a book five years after it came out and everybody else reviewed it five years ago. Okay, so I'm a little behind, but so what? Maybe this book was ahead of its time, maybe its time is now. Maybe Ben Stiller and Janeane Garafolo, Garofolo, Garofalo's time is now. They seem to be doing pretty well, Janeane is doing that terrific radio talk show and Ben is making a movie every other month, and I see all of them. Well, I didn't see the recent one with Jack Black, but that was in and out of the theater in like two days, but I did see "Meet the Parents" twice in the movies and twice on TV, and I'm waiting for the sequel which I have heard Barbara Streisand is going to be in.
Anyways this book has really helped me. It hasn't helped me to sell any of my thirteen screenplays which nobody has bought, but it has helped me to see being pathetic as a source of humor. That's good and amazing. Well, maybe not amazing, but interesting. And believe it or not I finished it in one afternoon, and I never did finish that book by Ellen Degeneris. Maybe, I'll finish that book today and write a review of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising, Aug. 14 2001
Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
I love Stiller and Garofalo, and I thought the concept of the book was fabulous. But the content inside the book didn't match the back cover. It was like a mishmash of essays that didn't fit together. Alot of it, while interesting, didn't make me laugh. Even the stuff that did make me laugh was tepid at best. Definitely not something I'd read twice or want to keep. The only reason I'm not giving it a lower mark is because the he said/she said really was good, and some of Garofalo's writing is high quality. I do have to also say that I think I would have found some of it funnier in audio format.

1.0 out of 5 stars ABOMINATION, June 10 2001
By A Customer
These 2 profound DUMMIES should be punched in the jaw. How dare they insult the intelligence of collective humanity with this HORRIFIC stench! - THIS IS PURE GARBAGE!

1.0 out of 5 stars actors not authors, May 1 2001
Amanda Berlin (new york) - See all my reviews
I usually am entertained by the aforementioned actors, but authors, they are not. I had less of a problem with Garofalo's banter, but Stiller, made no mistake about mentioning over and over that he was writing the book for the advance and the revenue that it would supply. Stiller's voice can virtually be heard through his writing which was just innane banter thrown down on a page and attached to his name with the hope that it would draw readers. This book is not worth the time or the money that in essence is exactly what the authors were after. Their apparent motives are insulting to their fans and readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Jerks, Dec 5 2000
They are hilarious on TV, let's keep them there. Being funny actors does not make them funny writers or witty either. This book is just another sell-out, a quick stab at an extra buck before their fifteen minutes of fame are over.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Jerks, Dec 5 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars One Out Of Two Couldn't Even Save This Book, July 17 2000
I could handle Janeane Garofalo's essay's (mildly) but, Ben Stiller was just down right awful. I must say, I was very sadden by this poor attempt at humor from two of the funniest people out there. I'm a huge fan of JG's but, this was just a weak try at being funny. You could almost hear them trying so hard to be smart, full of humor, and a bit on the cutting edge. They really missed the mark. I can't even imagine getting threw a chapter of the print book, at least I had the audio that had mild entertainment value. JG's reading was a step above Ben's but, that wasn't enough to make this book could. Her over abundant use of her (obviously plentiful) vocabulary just got on my nerves. I was really disappointed in this lack luster tale. I was all set to love it and have a wonderful time. Too bad it was such a let down. Don't waste your time....I'm sad I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars no thanks, i'd rather feel broken glass, July 12 2000
By A Customer
being a true fan of miss garafalo and most of her previous work, i dutifully ordered this book, and with bated breath, i awaited its arrival. i shouldn't have wasted my time. it is seriously one of the worst books i have ever read (and this is coming from a person who LOVED mystery men.) i was truly disappointed with the diatribes between the two authors, whom i once considered very witty. it was nauseating, and if you do one thing this whole year, it will be to stop yourself from buying this horrible book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the funny?, July 5 2000
By A Customer
Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo must be the only people laughing at the book... The only joke here is the fact that this thing got published. My friend told me that she fell asleep reading it, I wish I had. Short on humor and totally lacking substance, this book is the mindless indulgence of two celebrities. Next time these two author a book, I hope that have something to say, and hire a comedy writer to add some real humor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment,, April 18 2000
By A Customer
Could not even finish the book - it is truly a total waste of time. I'm in a book club and we thought this might be great because we were all fond of the two actors who wrote the book. We decided after two weeks into the reading assignment to stop because there would be nothing to discuss.
I read approximately 2 chapters and it was a chore to just get through the first two that I simply couldn't continue. I wish I could even comment on the chapters I did read but I don't even remember them.

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01