5.0 out of 5 stars Swift and sure. A great read.
I picked this one off my local library's shelf because of the Star Trek books I have read by these authors. I wondered at first about that, though, because the cover also states the story is "by" Rand Marlis and Christopher Weaver. But I'll put that on hold for now and hope perhaps sometime in the future I'll get that wonderment solved.
Meantime, not to...
Published on April 9 2001 by Diane Bellomo

3.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism
Published on July 8 2001 by SH in Tampa

3.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism, July 8 2001
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
Although published as three separate books, the Tenth Planet trilogy should really have been released as a single compilation. None of the three books are able to stand on their own. As a set, they are a light but engaging read. These books are pure escapist fun, with stereotypical characters, some plausible pseudo science and a fast paced plot. As long as you are not expecting great literature like Gene Wolfe and are prepared for sci fi that is more in the spirit of Edgar Rice Burroughs, you will enjoy this series.
In the first book, archeologist Leo Cross has discovered evidence of mass destruction through out Earth's history, repeating in precise intervals. Meanwhile, observers at the Hubble III telescope pick up a strange object, six months away on a near collision course with Earth. Earth has six months to guess what is happening and develop a defense.
If you enjoyed this series then you will probably like the Heritage Trilogy by Ian Douglas, which is far better written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swift and sure. A great read., April 9 2001
Diane Bellomo (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
Meantime, not to sound like a cliche', but this story's a real page-turner. I finished it in two days and was delighted to realize there are two more books in this series! It's filled with uncomplicated tech, peopled with humans *and* aliens whose names one can pronounce without a Universal Translator, and has just enough romance and human interest to keep it all feeling very "real." In some respects, it's very "Independence Day"-like, but not in all. We get to hear the alien's point of view, something that can be lacking in "alien invader" stories such as this. Highly recommended. May have to make this (and its sequels) a purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare for the rocket ride of you life with Tenth Planet, Oct. 15 1999
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
Before you sit down to read this novel, it should have a brown seal that states, "Warning! You will not be able to put it down." That is exactly what happened to me.
Expecting another of Dean Wesley Smith's outstanding novels filled with good solidly human characters complete with flaws and humor, I was more than rewarded by The Tenth Planet. Picking up the novel I immediately became lost in the characters and the incredible plot that develops naturally right before your entranced eyes.
The novel, set in the near future of Earth places of all things an archaeologist as the hero who steps forward to prepared mankind for its greatest challenge every. Along the way his terrifying discovery explains much of the major mysteries of our world, such as extinction events, disappearing cultures, and a very odd layer of black soot around the planet.
The story develops into a race to save mankind, and along the way we experience the best and the worst that man is capable of. Something Smith does so well when he tells a story, especially one as epic as this.
Believe me this novel leaves you wanting much more, and unable to wait for the second novel in this trilogy in the making!
If you love good suspense and science fiction rolled into one, this book is a definite!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great novel with obvious reservations, Oct. 6 1999
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
Just like everyone else I am disappointed by the obvious economic partioning of what could be a pseudo-classic SF novel. In this case more is less. Almost like the publisher took the finished novel from the authors, took the first third of the book, asked the authors to put 100 more pages in that section and then published it. Fortunately the authors were great in creating a constant build in suspense, but the build was far too long for my tastes. Wouldn't recommend buying until the sequels are out so you can read them all at once, since it isn't really a complete novel as is. Also has a semi-done plot, but great new twists without too much technical jargon. But what SF reader doesn't like technical jargon? If it had been published as a single novel it would have probably been superior to both "Footfall" and "Independence Day", but the added filler makes it probably a close 3rd. Tough to put down, easy to read. Definately a must have when the sequels are finished.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple but engaging plot; I can see a movie about this, Aug. 16 1999
Chiara Shah (Manalapan, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
While I was hooked by the end, the book started out a little slow for my taste. There were several scenes in which nothing new was revealed; several scenes that just rehashed what the characters had learned in the previous scene. It almost seemed like the authors were trying to add "filler" so they could make a certain wordcount before leaving us with the cliffhanger. Honestly, I would have preferred the entire trilogy in one complete novel, but I understand the economics of this business and that sequels make money.
After reading the entire book, I realize that those extra scenes are primarily for introducing new characters. I wish the authors had devised a more creative way of introducting a new character than calling them into a conference room and explaining to them things the reader -- and protagonists -- already knows.
That said, I enjoyed the fast pace of the novel. The story, while predictable at times, had some wonderful character development, mostly on the side of the "enemy". I look forward to the sequels.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, but is it a novel?, July 25 1999
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
"The Tenth Planet" is an interesting and well-written story involving the approach toward Earth of a previously unknown celestial object. The theme has appeared in SF many times and has been used with varying degrees of success. The plot is fairly predictable. However, the authors do a good job with character development and raising suspense. The story flows smoothly, with people who act and re-act logically (with the exception, perhaps, of a US president who balks at nuclear weapons when faced with the greatest threat ever to the human species.)

The annoying aspect of the book is its clear "serial" quality. "The Tenth Planet" is not a novel, but an installment in a story series. Serialization is a very pervasive entity in SF today. Few novels appear to be written without the possibly, at least, of a follow-up work. Fortunately, most of the installments are relatively complete works (e.g., the Honor Harrington series or the Ender Wiggin series). In contrast, "The Tenth Planet" stops in the middle of the action, with a virtual "to be continued ..." statement. This tactic increases revenue for writers and publishers as readers buy the next book to find out what happened. However, the demi-novel format is just unacceptable, and diminishes an otherwise fine work of SF. This approach is very much that of today's comic books. The fact that the authors have written for "X-men" and the "Star Trek" series may not be coincidence

5.0 out of 5 stars Gee, I sure hope the sequels are as good!, May 10 2003
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished reading The Tenth Planet and rushed to write this review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The aliens were truly alien, instead of the usual different-appearance-but-almost-human brand that's so common. They weren't even evil, but clearly they and we cannot coexist. Their depiction was extremely thoughtful and creative. As for the humans, if the plot were not so fantastic and the action so riveting, I might say the characters could have been developed a little better. The lack of depth seems to be par for the course in this type of Sci-Fi thriller, so I'm not so critical as some. Also, it didn't bother me in the least that this book had no conclusion--it's a trilogy! Anyone reading reviews now can buy all 3 books at once, and not lose a precious moment waiting for next release! I have to give this book 5 stars for the sheer entertainment...when I can't wait to get to the next page throughout the entire book, I know I've found a gem! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 8 2003
Mark E. Cooper "Fantasybooks" (STANFORD-LE-HOPE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
The Tenth Planet is great fun. I read it in one sitting and followed it with the second book--Tenth Planet: oblivion. What can I say? These books are pure escapism. It's a simple story that goes something like this:
An archaeologist notices a black layer in one of his digs. He doesn't think anything of it at first. Forest fires in ancient times do leave such layers only not as thick, but when he notices the exact same thing at the same depth in two other sites, he becomes intrigued and begins to investigate. What he finds is horrifying. The black ash isn't ash at all and isn't caused by fire.
It seems that every 2006 years, something happens to cause those black layers in which all organic life dies--EVERY 2006 years, and guess how long the last one was... you got it! Now he's in a race against time to make his government aware that something from space is coming, and in less than a year!
Great fun.
Mark E. Cooper
Warrior Within (ISBN:0-9545122-0-0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete page-turner!, Feb. 27 2001
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was amazing. I couldn't put it down. Set within the foreseeable future, Smith and Rusch paint a very believable picture of cultural and technological development. The characters are well developed and have substance, they come alive. Realistic portrayals of science, scientists and researchers from archaeology to biology to nanotechnology to astronomy. Wonderful by-play between the government and the private sector. All the while there's the tingling suspense as more pieces of the puzzle fall into place and the countdown continues...
I did not know while reading this story that it was the first book in a trilogy! At the time, the second and third book were not yet released! I nearly pulled my hair out in frustration. Now that all the books are available, buy all 3. Don't start this book without the other two right beside you! You'll breeze right through them in a weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, May 14 2000
Peter Werner "peterwerner4" (Essingen, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenth Planet (Mass Market Paperback)
I really do not care if this is only one third of a novel as others claim. O. K., it has an open ending. But we are promised the sequels, and one has already been published. Even in our fast living time we should be able to show some patience. If the two sequels are only half as good as this book, we can expect two very good novels to follow.
This book is really thrilling. I have read it in one go. There have been other sf novels that used the attractive combination of archaeology and science fiction. But this is by far the best! Not only is the story well researched (the authors know about what they write), but the two writers have also an excellent feeling for action, suspense and human character. My copy of "Oblivion" is on its way. I am looking forward to it (and I will patiently wait for "Final Assaut"). The trilogy might get "cult status".

Tenth Planet
Tenth Planet by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Mass Market Paperback - May 29 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01