5.0 out of 5 stars Real Food for Your Pets!
From personal experience, I know Martin Goldstein is right on with feeding pets real food. I believe your dog will live a healthier and longer life eating the foods that Dr. Goldstein recommends.

For years, my Pug struggled with crystals in her diet...both acidic and alkaline. She was put on different Hill's Prescriptive Diet foods.

She was also...
Published on April 16 2008 by Norma Lehmeierhartie

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not comprehensive
Published on April 30 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Food for Your Pets!, April 16 2008
Norma Lehmeierhartie (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat (Paperback)

She was also going blind.

Two years ago, I thought--enough of this crappy food--I want the rest of her days (at that time I thought very limited) to have more quality. I started to feed her free-range chicken and premium canned food (because I knew it was balanced.)

She's still eating it and is now a healthy, almost 14 year old Pug! (I have since added meatloaf from free-range buffalo, brown rice and grated carrots.)

Author of award winning book, Harmonious Environment: Beautify, Detoxify and Energize Your Life, Your Home and Your Planet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not comprehensive, April 30 2002
By A Customer
I read the book and personally consulted with a vet associated with this clinic. There are many good common sense pieces of information about the importance of diet and supplements, but it should be noted that stories of cure are by nature anecdotal, and should be recognized as such. Everyone has heard of the uncle who was saved from cancer by the vegetarian diet, but then has also heard of those who tried the same diet, and died. In my case, my cat had a medical problem and did not improve on the holistic treatment plans recommended but did improve with conventional therapy. The bill for the services was not cheap, nor were the nutritional supplements they prescribed. I think the ideal approach is to combine both traditional medicine (which has stood the test of time and is reproducible) and the holistic approach. Don't approach this as the end-all and be-all or you may be disappointed and worse yet, depriving your beloved animal of necessary, proven medical treatment. Get second opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 2 2003
By A Customer
Excellent book. Well organized. The information on commercial pet food was eye-opening. Dr. Goldstein provides a balanced viewpoint on a natural diet that allows the reader to decide what is best for each pet. I have read quite a few "holistic" approach pet books and this is the first one I have been VERY impressed with. I know I will use this book as a reference for many years and many more pets to come. I wish I had had this book when my "boys" were still puppies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Medications can still be harmful, Nov. 6 2000
Donna (Sherman Oaks, California USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered Dr. Goldstein's book and have found it very enlightning on the alternative methods of treating animals holistically. I fortunately have a great holistic vet, but after Bailey suffering with allergies, and reading Dr. Goldstein's suggestion, I dosed him with the recommended dosage of homeopathic meds that Dr. Goldstein recommends. My dog had a very very bad reaction to one of the ingredients in this medication and could not breathe. My dog is fine now, but I think that what you should take away from this book is the value of holistic treatments, but don't assume that just because it is homeopathy that there are not risks involved. I was very lucky with my dog Bailey, and I would just make sure that if you are interested in treating your animal holistically that you do it under the advice of a trained vet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, Jan. 15 2014
Once you read this you will never want to feed your dogs processed commercial food again. Great info, easy and interesting to read. It is so easy to feed my dogs healthy natural food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, July 23 2013
I highly recommend this book to all pet owners for the fact that from a vet's experience as to how our pets are being over vaccinated etc. to the point of hurting their health. It gives you alternatives of what to do for your pet to give them a healthy life. I wish all vets would read this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly helpful as a reference book, May 4 1999
By A Customer
This book is written by a veterinarian who employs alternative medical techniques in his practice (such as the use of nutritional supplements, chiropractic, and acupuncture) to offer pets a variety of methods with which to have their ailments improved. In one chapter he dissects the diets commercially available to dogs and cats (and lambastes the pet food industry, for the most part) and provides recommendations for more healthful, interesting foods that may be offered. In another chapter, he expresses strong disapproval for the standard vaccine schedule pets who are treated by vets who practice conventional medicine are subjected to from the age of a few weeks, and yearly for as long as they live. He goes so far as to state that vaccines cause cancer by weakening the immune system and allowing abnormal cells to proliferate. Another chapter offers a glossary of ailments commonly found in our pets, and recommendations for their treatment. He also discusses the death of a pet, the animal's spiritual life while alive, and the possibility of after-lives in pets. Although he has many criticisms of conventional veterinary medical practices, he concedes that there are some situations in which conventional therapies should be employed for the welfare of the patient (e.g., the use of standard antibiotics in the face of overwhelming infection). This reader found the author a little too dogmatic in his views at times. Goldstein also uses many anecdotal accounts (of his own experiences and those of others) to support his views, instead of reputable research findings. The book is full of anatomy and physiology, biology, and biochemistry, and may be too complicated for some readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, but..., April 16 2000
I read this book which was passed on to me by a friend who seemed to be impressed with its contents. Although it seems to have some useful information and also seemed to be impressive as far as the doctor himself, I started to feel that there was nothing to really back up his claims about a lot of things, with the exception of the nutritional information. I spoke with my veterinarian, having recently adopted a puppy, to see what he thought about these methods, and he also agreed that there wasn't any proof as to many of the claims in this book. This led me to believe that this book is both fact and fiction.
I am an open-minded person who would love to believe that medical science doesn't have "all the answers" and that this book has the answers that the medical community can't provide, but I am also not naive. I think this book has some interesting concepts, but until proven scientifically, I will much of the information in this book with a grain of salt.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Views on this Book, April 11 2000
Joseph Harper (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
Although this book seemed good in theory, it was not backed up with enough scientific/medical evidence. I liked what I read about not buying pet food in our "grocery" stores, but purchasing food in the better pet food supply houses. I happen to feed my dogs and cats Innova pet food and have had good results but don't have the time to cook for them very often - not balanced meals that they would eat anyway. I have read articles about "What's really in pet food" on the internet, so this wasn't a surprise. But, I would have to say, in general, although it was a fairly good book, it wasn't backed up enough with sound scientific/medical information.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANSTATIC, April 19 2004
By A Customer
Love the book! Very good reading, Dr. Goldstein's writing is not dry and boring making it a trail to get through. Very informative, if you have ever thought about giving your dog a healthier life this is a book you need to read and keep on your shelf for reference. I have already refered back to this book numerous times. And my dogs (3 Great Danes)are already looking and felling better than they have before. It has also taught me not to take everything at face value but explore your options. Just because it has always been done that way, does not mean it is the best way!

ARRAY(0xb5b804f8)