5.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles for confident parenting

1.0 out of 5 stars Mom of twins
Published on Feb. 14 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles for confident parenting, Oct. 30 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers (Paperback)
I had read the first book and found it pretty helpful. But this book really helped me gain confidence in knowing how to guide and parent my toddler. I borrowed it from the library but found it so good, I had to buy my own copy for reference. There is so much great stuff in there for every aspects of a Toddler's life. In comparison to the toddler stage, looking back at the infant stage of my child--there were a different set of challenges. This book was written with tremendous understanding of what parents of toddlers(especially first time parents) face! With Toddlers, you can't have a simple "how to" manual, you need principles to guide you. And this is exactly what Tracy does! She's a guide. I do not find her condescending at all! In fact, I find her principles very directive and liberating. She gives very reasonable and wise principles for parenting your toddler. It's not all general either.
However, she does speak to a certain kind of parent; it seems like those who choose attachment parenting aren't crazy about her. She speaks to the parent that does not necessarily want their child to be "attached" per se, but wants a child to be secure and confidently loved nonetheless. So if you're looking for good guidlines for confident parenting, this is a great place to start. She's not going to preach about inflexible methodology but rather flexible principles where you can apply them to everyday challenges and situations with your toddler! If this is the kind of parenting you want, then this is your book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best toddler book out there, March 27 2002
I can't say enough good things about this book. I've found most books on toddlers to be quite depressing. Tracy's book actually makes me look forward to my baby's toddler days. I feel like it will be challenging, but very fun and rewarding.
One of the things I enjoy most about Tracy's writing is her emphasis on the personhood of your child. She wants you to really consider how your child is feeling. I think this ties in very well to her chapter on accidental parenting, which talks about how your actions reinforce bad habits in your child. I think that the interplay between understanding your child's feelings, and understanding how your behavior effects your child's behavior sets the stage for good discipline.
I also really liked her chapter on discipline. I thought she presented a good case against spanking, but also provided parents with the tools they need to discipline effectively. It isn't enough to tell someone not to spank, you also have to give them something to do besides spanking.
It was a wonderful book. I think all parents of toddlers will learn from it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mom of twins, Feb. 14 2002
By A Customer
I never read her first book on infants but Hogg's "insights" into toddlers rates no greater than those of the average parent. This book is all over the place and attempts to cover nearly every aspect of a toddler's life, from developmental milestones to switching to solid foods to stopping temper tantrums. Unfortunately, none of the topics are covered completely or affectively. Her tip to help with dressing a toddler ("buy loose clothes with elasticized waists, big buttons and Velcro closures") is an example of the elementary tactics offered.
I was looking for a book to help me understand my toddlers (I have twins) and how to best work with them, especially during the challenging times of disciplining. But even during the rare times that the book delves into helpful topics, such as determining your toddler's temperament/type, the following chapters do not build on the information. So now I know that one of my toddlers is "spirited" and one is an "angel"; so what?
An even greater concern for me is the judgmental and condescending tone of this book. Other books have offered me far better lessons and motivated me to change my behavior without making me feel like a completely incompetent parent.
The few insights that I gleaned from this book are available in much more comprehensive and less patronizing texts, including Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A. Baily; and Your Two-Year-Old, Terrible or Tender and Your Three-Year-Old, Friend or Enemy by Louse Bates Ames. I'm sure may more sources are out there but these have really helped me be a much more understanding, patient and loving parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! Stop looking and purchase this book!, April 5 2004
This review is from: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers (Paperback)
I'm such a better mother now after I have read all her books. I also found the DVD to be helpful. I have made notes on 3x5 cards for easy reference. Every time I feel I'm loosing my patience with my 'spirited' toddler I just pull out the card with the solution to my particular problem and its like having her there with me as my nanny. I wish! If I ever run into her I will just loose it! Somtimes I think of how unaware I was in the beginning and it's frightening. She has really opened my mind to a better motherhood. I recommend this book and wish the doctors would just hand these books out to their patients after giving birth, I wish mine had. Don't listen to ANY of these reviews that gave under five stars. I have no idea why they would want anyone to doubt the power of these books. If you are a loving mother you will read it and apply it into your life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Original, June 27 2004
By A Customer
This book is moderately helpful, but not as good as Hogg and Blau's original "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer." While that book was an invaluable asset and demonstrated Hogg's true expertise with babies, this one seems to emulate its predecessor instead of standing on its own. I found the first one much more helpful and practical than "What to Expect the First Year," but now I find "What to Expect the Toddler Years" to be more informative than this toddler book. If you're as big a fan of the first book as I was, you probably are tempted to go right out and buy this one as soon as your baby becomes a toddler. I would encourage you to read it to benefit from some of the more helpful parts (especially good, in my opinion, were the ritual and routine recommendations), but unfortunately, it doesn't pass the test to be your go-to guide to your toddler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy you have done it again. Congratulations, Feb. 4 2002
Michale (Lake Forest, IL) - See all my reviews
Thank you !!
I could not read this book fast enough. With my daughter Rachel fast approaching 15 months, I took all the advice in the Baby Whisperer book and turned around my then 3 month old grumpy/touchy none sleeping baby girl, into an Angel baby, sleeping through the night at 4 months. YES the one I thought I gave birth too and dreamed about.
And what a great read the Toddler book is.
If you decide to parent using Tracy's philosophy and enjoyed her Baby book you have to read the Toddler book. The advice and intuition is common sense and oh so real, information is oozing out of this book.
A superb blend of humor mixed with real life stories, leaves you feeling empowered with the woes of toddlerhood, I am just finding out whether or not my Angel daughter is going to continue her path, but I know she is. We have had our moments though, and now I feel so confident about the situations that do arise.
A more empowering book than her first, wonderfully written, I just cant seem to put it down. Husband laughs alot when I wont leave the house without it. But he did eventually read Tracy's Baby book and enjoyed it, he has not got his hands on this book yet.
Congratulations on such a wonderful book
Michale and daughter Rachel XX

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped with my toddler!, Feb. 4 2002
By A Customer
I have an 18 month old "Spirited" toddler. He wakes up at 7 am and is busy nonstop until 7:30 pm. He naps about an hour and seems to get by just fine on that little nap. That's parenting, though, and his energy is not the problem. His temperment, on the other hand, is often trying on my patience. Being pregnant with our second child and the wife of an active duty military pilot (who is fighting for us overseas), it gets to be a very long day at home with my son's "spirit". This book helped me to identify better with his personality and help to make his day go more smoothly, and thus, making my day a little better and easier as well. I found great tips on how to work with his temperment as to not take away his spirit and to give him more choices to help him be more independent and confident.
I think the book offers sensible advice and good techniques. There is always a lot of controversy about this versus attachement parenting. Tracy Hogg doesn't suggest you don't hug and cuddle your baby, as the review above mine suggests, she merely suggests you work with your toddler on their behavior and hugs and cuddles aren't always the answer. I can see with a young baby this book may not be a good choice, but with an active toddler who is learning how to get what he wants and manipulate, come mild discipline is needed to stay sane and remind your child that you are still the parent.
I owe a lot of my new-found sanity to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is for everyone, Feb. 2 2002
By A Customer
Tracy's blend of humor, common sense and most importantly respect, is excellent reading, not only for dealing with Toddlers but for everyone. Certainly opens your eyes to the way we communicate.
If you followed Tracy's advice in the Baby Whisperer book, this book is for you. If you didn't read the Baby whisperer book and you are a parent or becoming one get both books. They are Totally packed with real life scenarios, common sense, and sound advice. Tracy's wit definately proves to me that she has been in the trenches as she calls it with these Toddlers, and not something she has conjured up from behind a desk.
This book will "and I underline will" guide you through the tantrums of Toddlerhood and will even set the stage for parenting beyond this period. I am totally amazed at the results by just using the H.E.L.P chapter with my 18 month old twins.
The seperation anxiety issues are well worth the read, this seems to be frantic time for all parents who are usually not aware of this.
All in all a superb read from cover to cover. You will have to read it at least twice though because of the quantity of information. Parents around the world will be thanking Ms. Hogg for revealing her secrets. My wife and I will thank her personally when she is in LA. I have already given this book as gifts to both our parents, 18 of our friends, the daycare center.
A Special thanks to Ms. Hogg
Frpm Dianna & Tom ----> Toddler girls Simone & Farah

1.0 out of 5 stars Went against everything I believe, Jan. 31 2002
Grizzy Lu (Monrovia, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book really made my skin crawl.It is so far from the idea of attachment parenting. It focused on the parents needs more then the baby's. They are only little for such a short time. Why not love them , hold them and cuddle as much as they want? what is more important, sleep or having your child feel safe and loved? After I read the book I gave it to my 9 month old baby and let him do what babies do to books. A much better use then keeping it in my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, easy to follow, March 8 2002
Tracy Hogg has given us yet another gem. If you, like myself, have found yourself beating your head against the wall where your toddler is concerned, you should do yourself a favor and splurge on this book. In the first "Baby Whisperer" book, Tracy taught us how to respect our infants without surrendering our parental control, and gave us simple acronyms (E.A.S.Y., S.L.O.W.)to remind us of her helpful advice. In her "toddler" edition, she uses the same method. Is your toddler refusing to potty train or play with other kids? What about dinner time- do you dread the constant fight over getting the kids to eat their veggies? Tracy gives helpful hints to overcome common toddler struggles, all the while encouraging us to praise our kids and give them the structure they need and, oddly enough, desire. Other topics are discussed, such as food allergies, kids who won't seem to talk, air travel do's and don'ts, the 12 ingredients of conscious discipline, typical or chronic sleep problems, and how to help your toddler deal with a new "intruder" in the form of his/her new baby sibling. Never has applying practical advice been presented in such an easy-to-follow fashion.

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers by Melinda Blau (Paperback - Feb. 4 2003)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 12.39