5.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles for confident parenting

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Original
Published on June 27 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles for confident parenting, Oct. 30 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers (Paperback)
I had read the first book and found it pretty helpful. But this book really helped me gain confidence in knowing how to guide and parent my toddler. I borrowed it from the library but found it so good, I had to buy my own copy for reference. There is so much great stuff in there for every aspects of a Toddler's life. In comparison to the toddler stage, looking back at the infant stage of my child--there were a different set of challenges. This book was written with tremendous understanding of what parents of toddlers(especially first time parents) face! With Toddlers, you can't have a simple "how to" manual, you need principles to guide you. And this is exactly what Tracy does! She's a guide. I do not find her condescending at all! In fact, I find her principles very directive and liberating. She gives very reasonable and wise principles for parenting your toddler. It's not all general either.
However, she does speak to a certain kind of parent; it seems like those who choose attachment parenting aren't crazy about her. She speaks to the parent that does not necessarily want their child to be "attached" per se, but wants a child to be secure and confidently loved nonetheless. So if you're looking for good guidlines for confident parenting, this is a great place to start. She's not going to preach about inflexible methodology but rather flexible principles where you can apply them to everyday challenges and situations with your toddler! If this is the kind of parenting you want, then this is your book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Original, June 27 2004
By A Customer
This book is moderately helpful, but not as good as Hogg and Blau's original "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer." While that book was an invaluable asset and demonstrated Hogg's true expertise with babies, this one seems to emulate its predecessor instead of standing on its own. I found the first one much more helpful and practical than "What to Expect the First Year," but now I find "What to Expect the Toddler Years" to be more informative than this toddler book. If you're as big a fan of the first book as I was, you probably are tempted to go right out and buy this one as soon as your baby becomes a toddler. I would encourage you to read it to benefit from some of the more helpful parts (especially good, in my opinion, were the ritual and routine recommendations), but unfortunately, it doesn't pass the test to be your go-to guide to your toddler.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best toddler book out there, March 27 2002
I can't say enough good things about this book. I've found most books on toddlers to be quite depressing. Tracy's book actually makes me look forward to my baby's toddler days. I feel like it will be challenging, but very fun and rewarding.
One of the things I enjoy most about Tracy's writing is her emphasis on the personhood of your child. She wants you to really consider how your child is feeling. I think this ties in very well to her chapter on accidental parenting, which talks about how your actions reinforce bad habits in your child. I think that the interplay between understanding your child's feelings, and understanding how your behavior effects your child's behavior sets the stage for good discipline.
I also really liked her chapter on discipline. I thought she presented a good case against spanking, but also provided parents with the tools they need to discipline effectively. It isn't enough to tell someone not to spank, you also have to give them something to do besides spanking.
It was a wonderful book. I think all parents of toddlers will learn from it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mom of twins, Feb. 14 2002
By A Customer
I never read her first book on infants but Hogg's "insights" into toddlers rates no greater than those of the average parent. This book is all over the place and attempts to cover nearly every aspect of a toddler's life, from developmental milestones to switching to solid foods to stopping temper tantrums. Unfortunately, none of the topics are covered completely or affectively. Her tip to help with dressing a toddler ("buy loose clothes with elasticized waists, big buttons and Velcro closures") is an example of the elementary tactics offered.
I was looking for a book to help me understand my toddlers (I have twins) and how to best work with them, especially during the challenging times of disciplining. But even during the rare times that the book delves into helpful topics, such as determining your toddler's temperament/type, the following chapters do not build on the information. So now I know that one of my toddlers is "spirited" and one is an "angel"; so what?
An even greater concern for me is the judgmental and condescending tone of this book. Other books have offered me far better lessons and motivated me to change my behavior without making me feel like a completely incompetent parent.
The few insights that I gleaned from this book are available in much more comprehensive and less patronizing texts, including Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A. Baily; and Your Two-Year-Old, Terrible or Tender and Your Three-Year-Old, Friend or Enemy by Louse Bates Ames. I'm sure may more sources are out there but these have really helped me be a much more understanding, patient and loving parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! Stop looking and purchase this book!, April 5 2004
This review is from: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers (Paperback)
I'm such a better mother now after I have read all her books. I also found the DVD to be helpful. I have made notes on 3x5 cards for easy reference. Every time I feel I'm loosing my patience with my 'spirited' toddler I just pull out the card with the solution to my particular problem and its like having her there with me as my nanny. I wish! If I ever run into her I will just loose it! Somtimes I think of how unaware I was in the beginning and it's frightening. She has really opened my mind to a better motherhood. I recommend this book and wish the doctors would just hand these books out to their patients after giving birth, I wish mine had. Don't listen to ANY of these reviews that gave under five stars. I have no idea why they would want anyone to doubt the power of these books. If you are a loving mother you will read it and apply it into your life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Went against everything I believe, Jan. 31 2002
Grizzy Lu (Monrovia, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book really made my skin crawl.It is so far from the idea of attachment parenting. It focused on the parents needs more then the baby's. They are only little for such a short time. Why not love them , hold them and cuddle as much as they want? what is more important, sleep or having your child feel safe and loved? After I read the book I gave it to my 9 month old baby and let him do what babies do to books. A much better use then keeping it in my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, easy to follow, March 8 2002
Tracy Hogg has given us yet another gem. If you, like myself, have found yourself beating your head against the wall where your toddler is concerned, you should do yourself a favor and splurge on this book. In the first "Baby Whisperer" book, Tracy taught us how to respect our infants without surrendering our parental control, and gave us simple acronyms (E.A.S.Y., S.L.O.W.)to remind us of her helpful advice. In her "toddler" edition, she uses the same method. Is your toddler refusing to potty train or play with other kids? What about dinner time- do you dread the constant fight over getting the kids to eat their veggies? Tracy gives helpful hints to overcome common toddler struggles, all the while encouraging us to praise our kids and give them the structure they need and, oddly enough, desire. Other topics are discussed, such as food allergies, kids who won't seem to talk, air travel do's and don'ts, the 12 ingredients of conscious discipline, typical or chronic sleep problems, and how to help your toddler deal with a new "intruder" in the form of his/her new baby sibling. Never has applying practical advice been presented in such an easy-to-follow fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler Love, Toddler Sleep, Toddler Eat, Feb. 5 2002
Hogg does an excellent job of calming the frazzled nerves of parents with toddlers. I'm the single mom of a "spirited" toddler. And I thought I was going to lose my mind. I read this book a week ago, and things are already better. She has parents examine their behavior as well as that of the child's. She doesn't present it as if you are an awful parent if your child won't go to sleep or throws fits that are unmanagable. But there is a problem, or you wouldn't be reading this book in the first place. And what I find the most amazing thing about her book is that she offers no quick fixes. In a time when everyone wants to lose 10 lb. in one week, and have their children sleep through the night in the same amount of time, Hogg says it cannot be done. What she suggests is introducing limits and actually *being* the parent. Her method takes time. I am an attachment parent, and I find no conflicts between this style and mine. She does not ever say you should lock your child in a room and walk away or otherwise desert him. She's not a Ferberer. She's also against spanking, yelling, slapping, shaming and teasing. In the past I've become very angry with my child because of his behavior. Now I can understand where his behavior comes from, what I've done to let the situation get out of hand and not only can I deal with him better, I can prevent most of the behaviors that drive me up a wall. A great book for tired parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy you have done it again. Congratulations, Feb. 4 2002
Michale (Lake Forest, IL) - See all my reviews
Thank you !!
I could not read this book fast enough. With my daughter Rachel fast approaching 15 months, I took all the advice in the Baby Whisperer book and turned around my then 3 month old grumpy/touchy none sleeping baby girl, into an Angel baby, sleeping through the night at 4 months. YES the one I thought I gave birth too and dreamed about.
And what a great read the Toddler book is.
If you decide to parent using Tracy's philosophy and enjoyed her Baby book you have to read the Toddler book. The advice and intuition is common sense and oh so real, information is oozing out of this book.
A superb blend of humor mixed with real life stories, leaves you feeling empowered with the woes of toddlerhood, I am just finding out whether or not my Angel daughter is going to continue her path, but I know she is. We have had our moments though, and now I feel so confident about the situations that do arise.
A more empowering book than her first, wonderfully written, I just cant seem to put it down. Husband laughs alot when I wont leave the house without it. But he did eventually read Tracy's Baby book and enjoyed it, he has not got his hands on this book yet.
Congratulations on such a wonderful book
Michale and daughter Rachel XX

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped with my toddler!, Feb. 4 2002
By A Customer
I have an 18 month old "Spirited" toddler. He wakes up at 7 am and is busy nonstop until 7:30 pm. He naps about an hour and seems to get by just fine on that little nap. That's parenting, though, and his energy is not the problem. His temperment, on the other hand, is often trying on my patience. Being pregnant with our second child and the wife of an active duty military pilot (who is fighting for us overseas), it gets to be a very long day at home with my son's "spirit". This book helped me to identify better with his personality and help to make his day go more smoothly, and thus, making my day a little better and easier as well. I found great tips on how to work with his temperment as to not take away his spirit and to give him more choices to help him be more independent and confident.
I think the book offers sensible advice and good techniques. There is always a lot of controversy about this versus attachement parenting. Tracy Hogg doesn't suggest you don't hug and cuddle your baby, as the review above mine suggests, she merely suggests you work with your toddler on their behavior and hugs and cuddles aren't always the answer. I can see with a young baby this book may not be a good choice, but with an active toddler who is learning how to get what he wants and manipulate, come mild discipline is needed to stay sane and remind your child that you are still the parent.
I owe a lot of my new-found sanity to this book.

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers by Melinda Blau (Paperback - Feb. 4 2003)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27