5.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles for confident parenting
I had read the first book and found it pretty helpful. But this book really helped me gain confidence in knowing how to guide and parent my toddler. I borrowed it from the library but found it so good, I had to buy my own copy for reference. There is so much great stuff in there for every aspects of a Toddler's life. In comparison to the toddler stage, looking back at...
Published on Oct. 30 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Mom of twins
I never read her first book on infants but Hogg's "insights" into toddlers rates no greater than those of the average parent. This book is all over the place and attempts to cover nearly every aspect of a toddler's life, from developmental milestones to switching to solid foods to stopping temper tantrums. Unfortunately, none of the topics are covered completely or...
Published on Feb. 14 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler Love, Toddler Sleep, Toddler Eat, Feb. 5 2002
Hogg does an excellent job of calming the frazzled nerves of parents with toddlers. I'm the single mom of a "spirited" toddler. And I thought I was going to lose my mind. I read this book a week ago, and things are already better. She has parents examine their behavior as well as that of the child's. She doesn't present it as if you are an awful parent if your child won't go to sleep or throws fits that are unmanagable. But there is a problem, or you wouldn't be reading this book in the first place. And what I find the most amazing thing about her book is that she offers no quick fixes. In a time when everyone wants to lose 10 lb. in one week, and have their children sleep through the night in the same amount of time, Hogg says it cannot be done. What she suggests is introducing limits and actually *being* the parent. Her method takes time. I am an attachment parent, and I find no conflicts between this style and mine. She does not ever say you should lock your child in a room and walk away or otherwise desert him. She's not a Ferberer. She's also against spanking, yelling, slapping, shaming and teasing. In the past I've become very angry with my child because of his behavior. Now I can understand where his behavior comes from, what I've done to let the situation get out of hand and not only can I deal with him better, I can prevent most of the behaviors that drive me up a wall. A great book for tired parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reference, Feb. 19 2002
This book is worth every penny. They did an exceptional job of organization, presentation and, yes, marketing. It has the test for your child's 'type' and your parenting style. The chapter on Ritual and Routine is fabulous with so many good, practical little bits to enhance your toddler's day. It also has THE BEST solid food introduction/weaning plan I've EVER seen. There is also so much good stuff in the chapters on life skills and emotional development to read & re-read & re-read again to stay mindful of. In summation, this book gives you a plethora of tools to help us be the best parent we can be. There is great stuff applicable from the time you start contemplating feeding your baby solids until their pre-school years. I've read A LOT of books on parenting and babies and, yes, if you don't buy any other book on toddlerhood, buy this one. It IS the ESSENTIAL guide for parents of babies and toddlers. I recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book in The Whisper Genre, April 29 2002
I bought this book because it's title reminded me of "The Child Whisperer" by Matt Pasquinilli. One of the best books on parenting I have ever read, "The Child Whisperer" taught me how to effectively communicate with my overactive son and highly distractible daughter.
"The Horse Whisperer" as a movie was ok, but the real man behind the story, Monty Roberts, is a common sense genius. The fact is, Monty Roberts not only whispered to horses, but he raised over forty foster kids.(Rent "Story of a Real Horse Whisperer" by the BBC at your local video store - or buy Monty Roberts book here at amazon.com.)
"Secrets of The Baby Whisperer for Toddlers" is not exactly the same concept, but it is very helpful for younger children. If you are a "Whisperer" fan like me, then you will want this on your shelf next to "The Child Whisperer" and "The Horse Whisperer."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the Toddler set, Feb. 13 2002
Double Mom (Cranbrook, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
As a mother of 11 month old twins I found this book to be very timely. Tracy Hogg is a true voice for children of all ages. She shows us the mind of the child to help new parents learn to communicate and respect the little person/s in our lives.
As with her first book I found numerous tips and ideas to help me get through this age and stage of my boys lives. Parenting is such a large issue for everyone so finding a book that is useful and easy to adapt to my lifestyle is important.
I highly recommend this book to everyone I know and can't imagine what I would have done before Tracy's voice helped me to see the way. My twin boys have slept, ate and lived by her words and I have the happiest babies I know living at my house. Thank you Tracy for all your hard work and dedication to the babies of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!!!, Feb. 17 2002
By A Customer
I find Tracy's respectful view of parenting to be refreshing and practical. Although she says there are no quick fixes, and I agree, following her method for getting my 13 month old to sleep in his crib took only 1 week. Although he is not going all night, he is now comfortable in his crib, no longer screams to be in our bed, and is no longer nursing non-stop. Yes we have our work cut out for us, but I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I also have a 2 1/2 year old and have found her suggestions on dealing with a 'spirited' child to be right on target...again easy to read, easy to follow. I am feeling less and less like every day is a battle, enjoying motherhood the way I had hoped to. THANK YOU TRACY!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensible stuff, March 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers (Paperback)
This book is brimming with down-to-earth, sensible advice on bringing up a toddler. There's a lot of information on the when, how and why of discipline - often a dodgy area full of inconsistencies when it comes to toddlers! The author really explores this and I found it a great help.
Not sure if I agree with the way the author begins the book with a "Know-Your-Toddler Quiz" in which she effectively categorises (pigeonholes?) toddlers into 5 distinct types, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she can do this because of her vast experience with countless toddlers during her career. Nevertheless it's a great read and an invaluable reference source for this mummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Whispering As Your Baby Grows Up....., July 20 2003
Julie Jordan Scott "Writer, Life Coach - Owne... (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Hogg and Blau use a very workable, applicable style to deal with parenting a toddler: as I am on my fourth toddler, I can attest that the techniques are valuable and easily used in parenting.
I especially appreciate the step by step approach and belief in "conscious" parenting instead of parenting-by-the-numbers. The suggestions and notes from "real" people via email interspersed further give the book a personalized, realistic flavor.
The ending chapters about having another baby and valuing relationships are very much a part of parenting the toddler. My only wish is there was a touch more in regards to collaborative-parenting with both parents being consistent Baby Whisperers.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!, Feb. 14 2002
By A Customer
Finally a sleep method that is working! After just one week of following the advice my 13 month old 'non-stop' nurser is FINALLY out of my bed and no longer fighting me all night to nurse. He still wakes, but now needs no more than a pat on the back to go back to sleep. We have a ways to go, but this book has given me the help I needed and in an easy to read, easy to follow format (very important when you are sleep deprived!!) ALSO, I feel as if Tracy Hogg knows my 2 1/2 year old inside out! I can't say enough about how her insight has helped me in the day to day dealings with a very high energy boy. I will recommend this book to everyone I know who has a toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Dec 6 2011
This is a great set! I have boughten it for gifts several times since ordering it for myself. It has lots of great advice and the methods work! Great author!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had my money back, April 3 2002
By A Customer
This is an example of a writer having one seller then putting a useless sequel out.I really would like to get the money I wasted back on this book.She seems too much like an old fashioned English Nanny or nurse and not someone that familiar with children.Not enough activites to stimulate the childs development and games suggestions.Only good suggestion she had was that Moms needed to not interfere with Dads being with their kids.

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers by Melinda Blau (Paperback - Feb. 4 2003)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 12.84