5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for expectant moms, especially high risk pregnan
Dr Luke has written a highly superior pregnancy nutrition book,
it is the best on the market right now. The recommendations on how to eat in this book are easy to follow and understand. Dr Luke doesnt talk down to women and her book even has some great recipes in the back.
Published on Dec 22 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars she says she's a scientist
Published on Dec 31 2001 by Ronald Yang

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for expectant moms, especially high risk pregnan, Dec 22 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Program Your Baby's Health: The Pregnancy Diet for Your Child's Lifelong Well-Being (Paperback)
Dr Luke has written a highly superior pregnancy nutrition book,
I had preeclampsia and hellp in my first pregnancy and and my daughter was born at 25 weeks and left us after 20 days in NICU. I followed the diet in this book and had no preeclampsia or hellp with my son. He was a 36 weeker but weighed a robust 6 pounds 15 oz. I attribute superior eating to my sons healthy size and to not getting hellp/severe PE again. She also has good advice on infant and toddler nutrition which I have found to come in handy with a picky 1 yr old!
After losing my daughter I did a lot of research on how to have a good pregnancy. Good nutrition is imperative to a baby not only in utero but well into adulthood. The advice on how to eat in this book is similar to the Bradley method but in my opinion Superior to the Bradley method as it is more updated. This book covers ALL the bases of pregnancy nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars from a registered dietitian, Nov. 4 2003
By A Customer
This book has solid information based on well-established research. I recommend it. I decided to write this review because another reviewer didn't understand the concept of metabolic profiling. The scientific data for malnourished mothers and babies comes only from times of war and famine and other natural disaster times because it is simply not ethical to malnourish a human fetus or pregnant mother to see what results. The concept of metabolic programming is forward thinking, but the concept of giving a baby what it needs from day one is common sense. Under different circumstances and in different environments humans adapt based on what is available- so why not start that thinking in utero??
I think this book treats mothers with respect, instead of over simplifying nutrition concepts. Good Stuff!

3.0 out of 5 stars she says she's a scientist, Dec 31 2001
Ronald Yang (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I just read the excerpt of the book that's available online and it's left me feeling very skeptical of the author's idea of "metabolic programming." To build support for it, she refers to studies of mothers who were in FAMINE conditions or who were STARVED. She also mentions studies of malnourishment and undernourishment, but never defines these terms. How do these studies relate to modern day middle class mothers? Does she ever identify a causal relationship between her suggested diet and improved baby health? Improved 2nd generation baby health?
She foists her theory onto people as though it has been repeatably demonstrated to be valid when in reality it's probably just opinion. It seems like it's just pseudo-science that doesn't happen to harm you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby development before birth, July 15 2001
By A Customer
This is a very informative book for women who want to give their unborn child the very best chance for excellent health. This book explains the developmental processes of the growing baby in the womb and it's nutritional needs during each phase of that process. According to this book, a mother can ""program" her baby's future health by eating right, gaining the appropriate amount of weight, and avoiding toxins."

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Reference Book, Nov. 2 2001
Carina Walker (Sierra Madre, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I found myself referring back to this book time and time again, since I am a big believer in proper nutrition during pregnancy. This book was an excellent reference on what to eat, what not to eat, and how various nutrients affect your unborn baby. Other nutritional books I've found tend to be more superficial, just giving you the basics you probably already know like vegetables are good for you, and folic acid is important.

CDN$ 33.00 CDN$ 26.40