5.0 out of 5 stars The series continues
Published on April 17 2003 by princess_celestias

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite get it done for me
Published on Oct. 5 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn�t �tact� something you put on a teacher�s chair?, Jan. 21 2004
Amazon Customer (Not near Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Miss the series? Collins serves up a generous helping of backstory to the Max Guevara we've all come to know and love. The story expands on the small details that are already known: we are pulled along through the harrowing X5 breakout from Manticore, up through Max's first contacts with the "normal" world and right on up to the catastrophic Pulse that brings the United States down to Third World status. Much of the story deals with Max honing her craft as a professional thief on the mean streets of post-Pulse Los Angeles. Circumstance and a possible lead on an X5 "sibling" send her north into Seattle, and we are treated to the tale of how she met Original Cindy, how she moved in with Kendra, how she started with Jam Pony, where she first heard of Eyes Only, and even the spiritual importance of the Space Needle to Max's "meditations." Logan Cale features prominently as well, in some wonderful foreshadowing scenes. Original characters include fellow X5 "Seth" and Russian gangster-cum-art dealer Kafelnikov, and for fans who've missed the first season's villain Donald Lydecker, there's plenty of him in this novel, too.
The novel, being more or less unrestricted in its scope and direction, allows the reader to dive more fully into the gritty near-future of post-Pulse America -the language is coarser and more realistic than the cleaned-up television dialogue. Instead of having to hear characters remind viewers that "the world went and got a lot nastier," we are able to actually immerse ourselves in it; much more thought-provoking, particularly if you're prone to playing the "what would YOU do?" speculation game. In all ways an excellent lead-in to the events of the series pilot. An easy read, full of familiar characters, very satisfying conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite get it done for me, Oct. 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't want to be negative, but after reading all these glowing reviews, I thought I'd better give a reality check for true fans of this awesome series: this book wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it didn't totally suck, but it's clear that this is just some writer guy who was comissioned to write the book. He has lifted most of the dialogue right from the series, so he gets away with it, but then, when he's supposed to telling us what Max is thinking, suddenly she's thinking in the vocabulary of a 55 year old college graduate from the heartland. Like, she sees a fat guard and thinks, "what a portly, heavyset fellow". Yeah right. I don't think "portly" "heaveyset" or "fellow" are really the words a post-pulse street rat like Max is going to use to describe this guy in her head. He's obviously a lot more comfortable with Logan-speak, but he makes him just a little too much like somebody's Dad. Plus, you can tell the guy is not a fan, because the book just lacks PASSION. It's like he contacted some younger friend and said "Well, let's plot this baby out". I'd be willing to bet serious cash that this guy had never even seen the show before his editor called and said, "Got a gig for ya." But let's be fair, overall, it's a definate fix for those of us who were chapped when the series got cancelled, and it's readable, and we can fill in the gaps ourselves, but it would have been better if they had found somebody maybe a little younger who was a huge fan of the series already.
Gotta blaze..

5.0 out of 5 stars The series continues, April 17 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first heard that they were taking the Dark Angel series off the air I was really mad. That series was perfect. Perfect actors, perfect future depiction, perfect characters, perfect plot. Perfect right? So why [did]Fox chose to take it off the air I fear I will never know. So needless to say when I heard that Max Allan Collins was writing a book to continue the series, I perked up considerably. I was really worried that this was going to be one of those books that didn't connect with the TV series, but Collins did an excellent job of portraying the characters just as they were on TV. My only complaint was that Collins put Max's leaving phrase was "Gotta blaze," when on the series it was "I gotta bounce." But that was pretty much my only complaint. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. Over all this book is a great uplifter for the rest of us X5's who are still seriously depressed that our brothers and sisters were taken off air. Anyway, this is a great book and definitely worth the money to buy it.(I've already read it and it's sequal about ten or more times apiece.) It may be off the air, but Dark Angel continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all DA fans, Oct. 23 2002
Amazon Customer "ksubich" (Geneva, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
DARK ANGEL: BEFORE THE DAWN is a fascinating prequel novel that is a treat for any DA fan to read. Max Collins has all the characters down pat, and the backgrounding he does for Max, Original Cindy, Logan, and the other regulars of the show is fascinating. After reading this book one can go back and view Season 1 and Season 2 of the series in a slightly different light, picking up clues that were not noticed before that lead back to Max's earlier life before she came to Seattle. Mr. Collins also does an excellent job of foreshadowing things-to-come in the DA universe, threads that will undoubtedly be continued in his DA sequel novel SKIN GAME which picks up the storyline after the last televised episode of the show. If you're a DARK ANGEL fan, please buy BEFORE THE DAWN! The read is well worth your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, but not for kids, Jan. 22 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Absolutely amazing work by Max Allan Collins. An excellent prequel to the series, which was a great series, I thought. Sad that Fox removed it--and considering some of the stuff they're showing now, it's obvious that to some extent they don't know what they're doing. Anyway, the story was right out of an episode of the show, but my biggest complaint (and my only complaint, really) was the pervasive foul language. That really spoiled it for me. We really could've done without it. Still, the story itself was a great story, and I enjoyed the flow of the story. If you ever wanted to know what was so significant about the Space Needle that Max is always on at the end of most episodes, read the book. But not recommended for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read for Dark Angel fans, Dec 26 2002
Linda D. Crooks (Twinsburg, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Beautifully written, 'Before The Dawn' would be required reading for die-hard Dark Angel fans even if the series were still running. Max Allan Collins has given us what we crave -- the Dark Angel "fix" fans have needed since we first heard the series was going to be cancelled early in 2002. This book isn't just terrific brain candy -- it takes a deeper look at some things we saw in the show (such as Max's thoughts as she escaped, and life with her first 'adopted' family), and it fills in a lot of gaps in Max's history as a Manticore escapee on the run in pre- and post-pulse America. I'll be watching eagerly for future DA works from Mr. Collins.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for a prequel, April 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Decent book for a prequel anyway. I enjoyed it. Can't wait to read the other DA books that follow the series finale. I miss the show quite a bit. I read the other reviews and someone said Max's leaving line was "gotta bounce" and No, it wasn't. ON THE SHOW Max often said, "GOTTA BLAZE". I am 100% positive of that. I've read episode scripts and stuff and it is most definitely BLAZE. So, the writer got it correct. On the show, when Max met Joshua she'd say "Gotta blaze", and he picked that up from her because as she was leaving Manticore just before the building blew up, Joshua told her, "You blaze".

4.0 out of 5 stars OMG!, Jan. 5 2003
Amanda (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
OMG! I loved Dark Angel when it was on TV. I'm really upset at Fox, and so are thousands of DA fans when they cancelled the show last May. I especially thought Max, and Logan were the best. But thank gawd for Cedco for the DA Calendar, Artemis Records for the Soundtrack, and now Max Collins for keeping the DA fans still happy. This book is awesome and after I read the first page I knew the rest would be good. Oh, I can't wait for other books on DA and, if there were such a miracle, that DA Fans would all join together and get Fox to put the show back on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect!, Jan. 11 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was absolutely perfect! Normally, if I see a TV series and then read the book I can find at least 5 mistakes in the book, but not so in this case. This book gave vital information on the early days of Dark Angel. If you're are Dark Angel fan you absolutely must read this book. Collins did an excellent job on portraying the other X5's in Max's group. I am waiting very impatiently for Dark Angel #2. If you like the series you'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!!, March 14 2004
golodhros@go.com (Mountain Home AFB, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Like most who bought these books I was distrought that season two ended so abruptly and left so many unanswered questions. This particular book doesn't answer to many of them but gives great insight into Max's past and makes it so she isn't the only one with a deep dark secret. The author makes it feel like your watching the show the way the dialogue flows. I just loved the book and highly recommend it to any dark angel fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dark Angel: Before the Dawn
Dark Angel: Before the Dawn by Max Allan Collins (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 2002)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92