5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!!
Published on March 15 2004 by golodhros@go.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite get it done for me
Published on Oct. 5 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars No., June 28 2004
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
What are you guys talking about? It's a bad book, it doesn't stay true to max's personality at all. I mean, 'grown up soldiers'? What is that? They may be kids but they're supposed to be genetically engineered soldiers. where would they pick up the word 'grown ups'? Not only that, but the description of max at the start is somewhat pedaphaeliac. James Cameron must be crying himself to sleep each night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!!, March 15 2004
golodhros@go.com (Mountain Home AFB, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Like most who bought these books I was distrought that season two ended so abruptly and left so many unanswered questions. This particular book doesn't answer to many of them but gives great insight into Max's past and makes it so she isn't the only one with a deep dark secret. The author makes it feel like your watching the show the way the dialogue flows. I just loved the book and highly recommend it to any dark angel fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn�t �tact� something you put on a teacher�s chair?, Jan. 21 2004
Amazon Customer (Not near Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Miss the series? Collins serves up a generous helping of backstory to the Max Guevara we've all come to know and love. The story expands on the small details that are already known: we are pulled along through the harrowing X5 breakout from Manticore, up through Max's first contacts with the "normal" world and right on up to the catastrophic Pulse that brings the United States down to Third World status. Much of the story deals with Max honing her craft as a professional thief on the mean streets of post-Pulse Los Angeles. Circumstance and a possible lead on an X5 "sibling" send her north into Seattle, and we are treated to the tale of how she met Original Cindy, how she moved in with Kendra, how she started with Jam Pony, where she first heard of Eyes Only, and even the spiritual importance of the Space Needle to Max's "meditations." Logan Cale features prominently as well, in some wonderful foreshadowing scenes. Original characters include fellow X5 "Seth" and Russian gangster-cum-art dealer Kafelnikov, and for fans who've missed the first season's villain Donald Lydecker, there's plenty of him in this novel, too.
The novel, being more or less unrestricted in its scope and direction, allows the reader to dive more fully into the gritty near-future of post-Pulse America -the language is coarser and more realistic than the cleaned-up television dialogue. Instead of having to hear characters remind viewers that "the world went and got a lot nastier," we are able to actually immerse ourselves in it; much more thought-provoking, particularly if you're prone to playing the "what would YOU do?" speculation game. In all ways an excellent lead-in to the events of the series pilot. An easy read, full of familiar characters, very satisfying conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite get it done for me, Oct. 5 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't want to be negative, but after reading all these glowing reviews, I thought I'd better give a reality check for true fans of this awesome series: this book wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it didn't totally suck, but it's clear that this is just some writer guy who was comissioned to write the book. He has lifted most of the dialogue right from the series, so he gets away with it, but then, when he's supposed to telling us what Max is thinking, suddenly she's thinking in the vocabulary of a 55 year old college graduate from the heartland. Like, she sees a fat guard and thinks, "what a portly, heavyset fellow". Yeah right. I don't think "portly" "heaveyset" or "fellow" are really the words a post-pulse street rat like Max is going to use to describe this guy in her head. He's obviously a lot more comfortable with Logan-speak, but he makes him just a little too much like somebody's Dad. Plus, you can tell the guy is not a fan, because the book just lacks PASSION. It's like he contacted some younger friend and said "Well, let's plot this baby out". I'd be willing to bet serious cash that this guy had never even seen the show before his editor called and said, "Got a gig for ya." But let's be fair, overall, it's a definate fix for those of us who were chapped when the series got cancelled, and it's readable, and we can fill in the gaps ourselves, but it would have been better if they had found somebody maybe a little younger who was a huge fan of the series already.
Gotta blaze..

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Angel, April 24 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are a fan of the Dark Angel TV series, this is a book that you absolutely have to read. Before the Dawn gives a lot of background information of Max's life at Manticore when she was a kid. All in all, this book was excellent and definitely worth every penny you spend on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for a prequel, April 22 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
Decent book for a prequel anyway. I enjoyed it. Can't wait to read the other DA books that follow the series finale. I miss the show quite a bit. I read the other reviews and someone said Max's leaving line was "gotta bounce" and No, it wasn't. ON THE SHOW Max often said, "GOTTA BLAZE". I am 100% positive of that. I've read episode scripts and stuff and it is most definitely BLAZE. So, the writer got it correct. On the show, when Max met Joshua she'd say "Gotta blaze", and he picked that up from her because as she was leaving Manticore just before the building blew up, Joshua told her, "You blaze".

5.0 out of 5 stars So THAT'S What Max Was Doing ..., April 18 2003
Angela J. Thorpe "desertprincess" (Alamogordo, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
This book could be considered the prequel to the television show telling Max's doings before Seattle. A thoroughly enjoyable read including how Max met Original Cindy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The series continues, April 18 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first heard that they were taking the Dark Angel series off the air I was really mad. That series was perfect. Perfect actors, perfect future depiction, perfect characters, perfect plot. Perfect right? So why [did]Fox chose to take it off the air I fear I will never know. So needless to say when I heard that Max Allan Collins was writing a book to continue the series, I perked up considerably. I was really worried that this was going to be one of those books that didn't connect with the TV series, but Collins did an excellent job of portraying the characters just as they were on TV. My only complaint was that Collins put Max's leaving phrase was "Gotta blaze," when on the series it was "I gotta bounce." But that was pretty much my only complaint. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. Over all this book is a great uplifter for the rest of us X5's who are still seriously depressed that our brothers and sisters were taken off air. Anyway, this is a great book and definitely worth the money to buy it.(I've already read it and it's sequal about ten or more times apiece.) It may be off the air, but Dark Angel continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!, March 29 2003
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great book! When the show went off air I was mad. They took off a good detailed show. It was interesting and action packed.What more could a kid ask for. Later, I saw the book.My first thought was "Finally a decent book".

5.0 out of 5 stars I miss Dark Angel the series!!, March 23 2003
N. H. "halnnae" (Paterson, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Angel: Before the Dawn (Mass Market Paperback)
As a fan of the series, I love the book. Nothing more to say.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dark Angel: Before the Dawn
Dark Angel: Before the Dawn by Max Allan Collins (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 2002)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89