4.0 out of 5 stars Crying For More
Published on May 4 2004 by Desmond Chan

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment...
Published on June 27 2004 by wizardsheart

4.0 out of 5 stars Crying For More, May 4 2004
Desmond Chan (Bishan North Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
Milla Edge encounters the watershed tragedy of her life in the heart-pounding opening sequence of the book. While accompanying her doctor of a husband on a stint, her newborn baby Justin was ruthlessly snatched away from her by perpetrators of a baby smuggling ring in a Mexican marketplace. She lost a kidney in the fierce struggle - her husband and family too - as she forged herself to become stronger and never giving up hope in her quest for Justin, while others misunderstand and loses faith in her quest for an impossible dream.
Ten years in hot pursuit of the perpetrators has left Milla with a new link after a mysterious phone call that unites her with bounty hunter James Diaz. As the mystery deepens, she finds herself confronting a web of conspiracy spun by her closest friends and sponsors of her foundation that is dedicated to finding the missing.
The mayhem and cutthroat suspense may be similar to Ms. Howard's previous efforts like Open Target and Dying to Please. But in Cry No More, Ms. Howard outdoes herself as she throws herself into the world of her central character, bringing out the empathy and admiration for her steely Milla with gut-wrenching emotions. Her angst and bitterness makes her a gripping heroine in every sense; the hero Diaz with the dangerous slant unearths her softness and vulnerability, enriching the poignant romance in the midst of the spinning action.
Ms. Howard clearly has shown that her passion overrides everything. She gets all her elements in place, beautifully injects realism with bits and pieces of Mexican culture, surprises us with an act of maturity by Milla in the ending sequence and lets us feel the unconditional love in maternal ties. This is simply Ms. Howard at her best - and it is bound to leave her fans crying for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but not Howard's "normal " fare, Dec 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
Having been a huge fan of Ms Howards work over the years I greatly look forward to and anticipate each release.
In Cry No More Ms Howard has written a powerfully moving account of one woman's driven, almost obsessive search to track down and find the son who was snatched from her arms ten years before. In doing so she loses her husband, some of her family and as the tale progresses, almost her life.
This was no cosy tale of romance - the genre that I and other fans buy her for and if you buy this novel expecting that, then you will be disappointed. It does'nt make the tale less, but there was a dark edge that permeated the whole book and in some places made it heavy going. It was certainly a different style than all her previous works and was more mainstream women's fiction for that.
Howard did touch on a relationship between Milla and another of the characters, but it was certainly secondary to the main story and at times I felt that a more even balance could have been achieved, to satisfy both her "core" fans and her new ones.
Another thing - the main storyline so overwhelmed the other plot elements of the book, that they were'nt wrapped up at the end and subsequently it left you feeling vaguely dissatisfied.
However, overall, it's an evocative, emotionally heartrending tale of strength and courage against adversity ,but it is'nt a Howard romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Livin' on coffee - 'cuz I couldn't put it down last night!, Nov. 19 2003
Latrinaloo "latrinaloo2" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
Since she has authored so many delicious reads, I know that I can trust a book by Linda Howard. It's never money wasted. Even her worst is better than most author's best. I often reread them rather than buy a new book by someone else (my favorites being After the Night, Now You See Her, and Dream Man).
Cry No More was absolutely outstanding. It was simply impossible to put the book down and go to bed - the last third is soooo compelling - it just blew me away! I loved the strong hero and brave heroine - their quirks and vulnerabilities were gently revealed. Heavier in theme than most of her other works, it was none-the-less a page turner. It was a deliciously sensual and suspenseful adventure, a thrilling roller coaster ride, alternately tear-jerking, tender and joyful. (And those fabulous love scenes kept me reaching for the fan). An author myself, I am humbled by such talent. I await her next book with utter impatience.
Damn, Linda. Keep up the GREAT work.
Girl - YOU ROCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear-jerker!, Aug. 2 2004
Corky (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This is the second book I've read by Ms. Howard and I have quickly become a fan. "Cry No More" deals with one woman's desperate search to find her missing son. Milla Edge is feminine to the core but tough as nails when it comes to trying to locate her son. When James Diaz joins her in the hunt, the chemistry between them leads to a sizzling romance. But Milla is aware that both carry baggage from the past, and can she have a relationship with an assassin/bounty hunter?
This is a great read, with many highs and lows, and a few places you might need to pull out the tissue. Great book, Ms. Howard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a "tear jerker", July 12 2004
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
Diaz and Milla were two tortured people whom fate throws together. This was a bittersweet story and I cried through about half of it.
However, like others, I felt the resolution of the criminals was severely lacking. Why Diaz betrayed Milla is still a puzzle to me.
I can highly recommend "Mr. Perfect".

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, July 2 2004
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
Linda Howard novels often get an emotion out of me that no other novels can get! This one is no exception....this story line will have you laughing, crying, and feeling angry all at the same time. The way she entwines love and mystery stories into one is exceptional! I hope she keeps writing more books like this one!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment..., June 27 2004
I love Linda Howard's books. They are always a treat. However, I really felt this wasn't one of her best. I didn't really like the character of Milla. I thought that she was unevenly written and started to get annoying. I also felt that the plot drug on a bit and was a bit implausible. I don't read books based on whether it could really happen...I just felt that this was a bit too much. I can't believe that after ten years of no leads...all of a sudden everything clicks into place; all of these things just start happening and it is easy to find the answers. I think it would have been a better book if it had taken place a year or two after the kidnapping, not ten. It is not Linda Howard's best work, but I still love her and will continue to read her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Adventure, June 30 2004
Katrina Carmack (Clearwater Fl USA) - See all my reviews
David Boone is a up and coming surgeon. He and his wife Milla go to Mexico for a year. So David could work at a clinic. While in Mexico, Milla gives birth to a healthy little boy.
Milla would go to the market a couple times of week. She would carry Justin in a sling close to her body. One day two men corner her. They want Justin. In the struggle to kidnap him, Milla is stabbed and Justin is gone. Milla is rushed to the clinic for surgery. She loses her kidney.
After Milla recovers from the loss of her kidney. She starts a hunt for Justin. In the process David divorces her. Her siblings tell her to forget about finding Justin. But she can not give up. She must find him.
Milla starts a business called "Finders". It's a search and rescue team. That when someone is lost they join the search to help locate the missing person. Either adult or child.
One day Milla gets a tip that the man that took Justin would be at a church in Mexico. So Milla and a co-worker cross the border from ElPaso to wait. As Milla watches the men get out of the cars. She recognizes one of them as the man who took Justin. She starts to reach for the gun in her pocket. But something pushes her back to the ground. He tells her not to move or make a sound. Or shes dead. The two of them watch the men exchange something from one car to another. When it's all done they leave. And the guy holding Milla down, he presses his fingers at the base of her neck and tells her to take a nap.
After she comes to. Her and Brian go to local bar. Milla anounces who she is and she will pay ten thousand American dollars to anyone who can tell her how to find Diaz. Days later Diaz walks into her office. He is the man who held her down at the church.
She realizes that he is not the man who took Justin ten years ago. Afterwhile he agrees to help her find Pavon. The guy who took her son.
This book is full of adventure. You won't be disappointed. This is a great book, very emotional. The first chapter is a little boring but the book does pick up as the story continues. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, June 29 2004
You know you have read a great book when you turn around and start over again just in case you missed something. This book was the best. Yes it made me cry, but it was realistic in how she felt. The only thing I ask is that Linda Howard writes Zack's story next if she hasn't already. I'll be looking for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Couldn't Stop Reading, June 18 2004
This review is from: Cry No More (Hardcover)
I really enjoy Linda Roberts, from her early novels, through her migddle growth period to this stunning book. Roberts gives us incredibly complex characters, finely drawn, whose lives and issues pull the reader in and keep them until the last page. The main characters, Mila, her husband- then ex-husband- David, and the mysterious Diaz are all fascinating. When we find Mila and David divorced after the theft of their infant son, we readers have no idea that we will go on a roller coaster ride with Mila as she works through this difficult emotional loss as well as becomes a different person, one capable of dealing with kidnappers and murderers.
I bought this book and kkept it, read it twice and found some new things in the second reading. I found it to be one of Roberts' best, and a marvelous read. Hankies, yes for some. Not me. Just constantly cheering Mila on in her quest and holding my breath when things got sticky.
Worth every penny.

ARRAY(0xaecfe12c)

Cry No More
Cry No More by Linda Howard (Hardcover - Nov. 4 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01