5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper from Linda Howard
In "Kiss Me While I Sleep," Linda Howard has returned to the world of John Medina and Niemi Burdock, the world of covert intelligence operations and contract killers. She has also returned to the theme she explored in "Cry No More," the trauma of a parent who has lost a child.
Published on July 19 2004 by Nancy J. Silberstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Her Best By Far
Published on Aug. 24 2005 by NewGirl05

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, Jan. 3 2009
Roseanne Whynot "Book Lover" (Liverpool, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
It was very slow for the first little part of the book, but after that, it was exciting and I felt I couldn't put it down. I was in suspense the whole time, and found myself searching every character to see who was the guy responsible!! Very good book otherwise, after you get over the first little bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Her Best By Far, Aug. 24 2005
After getting used to wonderful books full of emotion and witty dialog, this book fell pretty flat. Having a leading lady as an assassin was pretty novel, but her personality felt phoney. Her escape and evasion tactics at the beginning of the book are pretty spunky and showed great promise for entertainment value, but as soon as her leading man arrives, it's all down hill. The action in the book was good, but the plot twists a bit too contrived. And, the clincher was the lack of chemistry between the two main characters. If it had been any other author I would have given her another star, but compared to other LH books, this one was disappointing.
For excellent examples of Linda Howards' talent try "To Die For" or "Mr. Perfect" for a good laugh, or if you're in the mood of women who go through heart wrenching moments but prevail with intelligence, guts and class go for "Cry No More" or "Son of the Morning".

3.0 out of 5 stars Kiss Me While I Sleep, July 20 2004
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
This book put me in mind of ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN with the CIA angle and the mentions of John Medina. That book wasn't one of my favorite Linda Howard's and neither is this one. I enjoyed reading it but it's just not one that will be a book I will read and re-read over & over.

3.0 out of 5 stars A spy with a sense of humor!, July 20 2004
Naomi Johnson "beauvallet" (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
For that alone I could kiss Lucas Swain, never mind that he is a secondhand version of John Sandford's fabulous cop Lucas Davenport. Because of the rather ripped-off version of Davenport (one of my all-time favorite fictional characters)and because the intrigue isn't terribly intriguing, I gave this only 3 stars. That isn't to say I hated the book or that I didn't enjoy it: The banter between hero and heroine is pretty funny - but just a little too much like Davenport and one of his ladies to feel original. If I hadn't read 'Cry No More' right before this one I might have liked this book better, but CNM was a top-notch and very moving story. My expectations may have been a little too high coming off that book. I think I'll go re-read one of Sandford's books now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, July 20 2004
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
This book had the intrigue, but I expected more intrigue, drama, suspense and emotion considering the plot involving CIA agents. The characters personalities just seemed out of place with the plot and lacked the depth that I expected from Ms Howard. Also, I didn't feel the chemistry or build-up between Swain and Lily before they became lovers and "fell in love." However, Ms Howard can switch from character to character on a dime in her books. Ms Howard's characters are never perfect, which allows her readers to relate and Ms Howard's characters are never run together as other authors tend to do. The ending was a nice surprise, if a little rushed. I would still recommend this book, but don't expect it to be as good as Cry No More, which tugged at my heart and made me cry...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper from Linda Howard, July 19 2004
Nancy J. Silberstein (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
Lily Mansfield is a contract killer for the CIA, 37 years old, with 19 years of experience. She is also a grieving parent whose 13-year-old, adopted daughter has recently been killed, along with her foster parents who were Lily's best friends. Lily has set out to kill the man who ordered the hit on Zia and her foster parents, and to wreck as much havoc as she can on his organization. She is doing this without the CIA's sanction; in fact, they have sent one of their top agents, Lucas Swain, to stop her.
Sound grim? It isn't. Lucas Swain is not only an alpha hunk, he is also one funny guy. I found myself chuckling at Swain's opinions and actions, whether it was his thoughts on "chick food" or his views on Fiats. (He hates 'em.) The man went through more cars than Stephanie Plum.
If "Cry No More" had a fairly straightforward plot, that must have been because Howard was saving all her twists and turns for "Kiss Me While I Sleep." Just when you think you understand all Lily's and Swain's schemes and counter-schemes, Howard gives the plot a twist, and you realize you've been led down the garden path. Again.
All in all, a delightful read with a sexy hero and heroine, a serious examination of a parent's grief, and a plot that will have your head spinning. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the cover!!, July 19 2004
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
I have read 99% of Linda Howard's books. I love conflict between the heroine and hero as long as it is not mean spirited. The lady assassin premise was different and Lily was not butch at all. Swain was very well written altho not as deeply as I would like. The 'end' of their relationship was very poignant. Her interview with Frank was a great surprise. So was the 'kicker' to their assignment. I myself loved "Cry No More" but I also enjoyed this book very much. Read it overnight!!!! Mr. Perfect was more humorous but this had a better punch. I read All of LH's books. Have several of the 'older' ones as keepers. She never disappoints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, July 19 2004
Judy "book reader" (Cincinnati, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
Linda Howard's Kiss Me While I Sleep is another riveting tale of intrigue, betrayal and love.
Lily Mansfield has been working as a contract agent for the CIA since she was 18. Lily is extremely good at what she does but after 19 years it's taking a toll on her. When close friends and their daughter are murdered, she goes out on her own to bring them down.
Lucas Swain another agent is called in to bring Lily back one-way or another. Higher ups are afraid that Lily is a loose cannon now. Lucas sets to track Lily but isn't prepared for the woman he meets. As they delve further into the reasons Lily friends were killed, it becomes clear that it is far more serious then Lucas first thought.
As they try to untangle the web of deceit, Lucas and Lily become more entangled with each other. Lily who has trusted few people in her life must put all her trust in Lucas. But will Lucas care for that trust or betray it.
Kiss Me While I Sleep is a book that will keep you clued to the pages till the very end. It has all that you expect from a Linda Howard book, the suspense, the intrigue and the passion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kiss Me While I Sleep through this book..., July 19 2004
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
The only reason I finished this book was because I spent so much money on it. It didn't keep my attention at all, because the characters are unlikable and underdeveloped. Also, the blunt ending seems as if the author forgot to write one.
As a Linda Howard fan and a romantic suspense fan, I can't recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., July 18 2004
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Hardcover)
I am a true blue Linda Howard fan. I read ANYTHING she writes. Her best is better than any other romance writer; her not so best is still really good. I would rank this in the good category. Even though the mystery is probably not the most important aspect of the book, I was disappointed that I figured out the culprit early into the story. I was delightfully surprised though by the resolution of the conflict between the main characters (really good), though I would have liked a longer ending to fully appreciate this resolution. Unlike some Linda Howard readers, I enjoy conflict between the hero and heroine with aspects of humor, and don't enjoy the "funny" Howards as much as some do. I was pleased this was more in the first category. I wish we could have seen Swain being pushed a little more at the end in the emotion department.
All in all, recommended. I probably won't read it again, but will definitely read Ms. Howard's next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb657396c)

Kiss Me While I Sleep
Kiss Me While I Sleep by Linda Howard (Hardcover - July 13 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01