5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put this book down
I loved this book, it was a page turner and kept me wondering how it was going to end. I did like the little twist it had at the end when Jilly needed some extra help. The only problem I had was that I did not like the ending, it did leave me wondering what happend with Jilly and her extra help and why he had got invold. But over all it was just a great book.
Published on Oct. 15 2003 by rebeccabv

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Garwood Great
Like many other reviewers on here, I've been a long time fan of Ms. Garwood. Her historical romances are fun, warm, and loving. Once you read "The Secret" or "The Bride," you don't forget the characters.
Over the past three years, Ms. Garwood has gone away from this genre, and into suspence-romance. At first, I was excited. One of my favorite...
Published on May 30 2003 by Jennifer French

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, Dec 20 2003
Bonnie F. Rutledge "Cool Aunt" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This continuation of Julie Garwood's exciting and well-written 'Mercy' was a lackluster disappointment. It almost felt like it had been written by another person!
Where its predecessor, 'Mercy,' made Monk an intriguing villain, 'Killjoy' turned him into a buffoon. The protagonists had few likeable moments, and while I had hoped John Paul Renard's character would be given more depth now that he was the hero of the story, there was hardly any development. Perhaps that was what was what was so unappealing about this novel - everyone, whether they were supposed to be on the side of right or wrong, came off as immensely shallow, and the traumas that were meant to endear them to the reader felt sorely contrived.
Also, too often the action of the story was told in past-tense summation. Escapes, explosions - some moments that could have been tense, page-turners were half-heartedly skimmed over in ho-hum narrative. The end result was more deflating and tedious than thrilling.
Julie Garwood's prior work is much more entertaining than this selection.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put this book down, Oct. 15 2003
"rebeccabv" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up To Usual Standards, Oct. 11 2003
"kchaos" (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Killjoy was, to say the least, a killjoy. I consider Julie Garwoods an excellent writer (though her historical romances seem to be a bit formulaic), but this story really let me down.
The beginning starts off incredibly slow. Garwood describes the childhood of the main character, Avery through her "young" eyes. Maybe it's just that I don't particularly like this style but I thought it was a bit too cheesy for my taste. The next chapter is pretty slow, too, as it talks about everything between Avery and her Aunt Carrie.
The storyline, though promising ends up lacking any real substance. The characters aren't given much depth- their actions don't mesh with what their personalities are supposed to be. Aunt Carrie was supposed to be as sweet as can be, but I found her character to be vulgar and not likeable at all. Avery seemed a bit too sweet for somebody working in the FBI, and she lacked the confidence I'd expect. I was disappointed that her third book was to be written about John Paul, as he wasn't described as a great person in the book Mercy. He wasn't very exciting, and it was hard to grasp the fact that he fell in love with her because she could stand up to him. As for the 'evil' characters, they were a bit laughable. Monk (from Mercy) is lovesick and seemingly weak. The story would have been more exciting if he had truly been a smooth operator instead of a guy drooling over a girl. As for Jilly... we're constantly bashed over the head with how 'evil' she is. She is described as evil and vicious, but her behavior doesn't seem to match that so well.
All in all, I didn't find this book to be interesting. It lacked the usual warm humor in Garwood's other books, and the ending left many questions unanswered. The general plot is interesting, I just feel that Garwood could have done more to really increase the danger and love elements. I just hope she writes a book about Noah Clayborne soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Suspense, Romance and Laughs, Oct. 8 2003
S. K. Leggate "Sunni" (Fernley, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great story that I am sure you will enjoy. Keep in mind that there is some character cross over from a previous book of Ms. Garwood's (Mercy), but even if you haven't read it you will still be able to follow along easily.
This was a tough novel to put down. It kept me on the edge of my seat trying to guess what would happen next in the saga of Avery and John-Paul, as well as Aunt Carolyn and Monk. This isn't a traditional romance, nor a traditional suspense novel which made it a wonderfully quick and entertaining read. The characters could easily be real life, and the comic relief that was scattered throughout the book was delightful. This is one that I feel just about anyone would enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Closer, Sept. 4 2003
E. Suter "erindipity" (D'Iberville, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I have long been a fan of Julie Garwood's work, having first fallen in love with her historical novels. I admit to being disappointed when she switched to suspense romance though. Her newer books (Mercy, Heartbreaker) lack the sense of humor she had in the historical pieces. In fact, the humor was the reason I so enjoyed her books. For the first time Ms. Garwood has included that humor in her suspense novels.
I enjoyed Killjoy, though as with other reviewers I was disappointed also with the ending. After the huge build-up, the ending left a lot to be desired, the reader is just left hanging.
Avery Delaney is an FBI analyst. For a woman that is perceived to be so brilliant in the begining she really does fizzle when her own life is in danger. The hero, is fairly predictable. He like all heros is a loner with deep emotional scars. He is the typical macho man who saves the day.
The plot is complicated and the villian just too warped for words. Jilly, the supposedly dead mother of Avery has returned for revenge. She is delusional and apparently so beautiful that every man she ever meets falls hopelessly in love with her. Jilly concocts a complicated scheme to kill Avery and her aunt. Of course the plans to wrong and she and her accomplice struggle to find a way to kill them before being caught.
I found the dialog between Avery and John Paul witty and it reminded me of many of her earlier works. Hince the reference to the humor. This is the first of her contemporary novels that I have truely enjoyed and hope she continues to improve in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant Wait, Aug. 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Killjoy (Hardcover)
The people we fell in love with in Heartbreaker and Mercy are back in one of Julie's most suspenseful love stories "Killjoy". This book is overly entertaining and will definitely keep you flipping through constantly and falling in love at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, But The Ending Will Disappoint, Aug. 25 2003
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
As an avid reader of anything by Julie Garwood, everything she writes automatically goes in my bookshelf of keepers. This book is no exception. While reading the first half of the book, I found myself staying up much later than I should just to read one more chapter... then one more... If you read as much as I do, you know how that goes. Usually that's the sign of an excellent book. In this case, however, as much as I enjoyed the first part of the book, the ending really disappointed me. After the excitement and build-up, I expected a grand conclusion, and it never happened. I couldn't believe Avery never confronted her mother. I couldn't believe I didn't get to see Jilly captured. Even now, two days after finishing the book, I'm still in disbelief over the ending. Mrs. Garwood was on a roll and then it seems she just lost steam or something. Despite the disappointment, however, I'd still recommend the book to anyone, because I believe that Julie Garwood at her worst is better than many writers at their best.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner but missing an important element!!!, Aug. 12 2003
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
The book is great! I couldn't but it down. I would have given it 5 stars except Garwood missed one important element..... She failed to allow Avery to come face to face with Jilly. Otherwise...an excellent book.

1.0 out of 5 stars How does this tripe get published?, Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my second and last novel by Garwood. When I read Mercy, I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, and figured it was just not her best. Killjoy was even worst. The writing is all passive, more telling than showing. This author has the oddest way of circumventing her own suspense by undercutting the action. She rarely follows through on the action scenes; instead, she tells the reader about it. The dialogue is laughable and the villians more silly than menacing. Avery (the heroine) is the only decent character in the mix, but she can't come close to saving this book from the trash heap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Julie Garwood's Form Has Slipped!!, Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: Killjoy: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a longtime Julie Garwood fan, and never thought I would see the day when I would give one of her books a 1 Star rating. The day has come! I couldn't get past page 160, in "Killjoy," before I had to put the novel down. I am talking about 160 pages of the most boring prose I have ever read. I loved all Ms. Garwood's historical romances. I just don't think she has written anything original, worthwhile, or interesting since she began writing "contemporary romantic suspense fiction," (crsf).
I read "Heartbreaker" when it first came out, and while not one of the best "crsf" books on the already glutted market, I did finish it, and even enjoyed some parts. I thought, this is a new effort for the author, and she will surely improve and attain her previous heights as a romance writer. I was disappointed with "Mercy." Certainly not much improvement there. I did purchase "Killjoy," because my loyal fan status dies hard, and I was ever the optimist.
The characters in Killjoy are cardboard caricatures, not believable at all. The heroine, Avery Delaney is just too naive - too cutesy, to be as intelligent, creative, and brave as she is supposed to be. How did this woman ever get a job as a crime analyst with the FBI? Her mother, Jilly, the Bad Seed, is like a villain from a comic book - no redeeming traits. She isn't even gifted with the sly intelligence sometimes present in psychopaths. The hero is flatter than two day-old seltzer. Yes, he's handsome, (according to Ms. Garwood), but has little else going for him. The plot is trite. There is nothing new here. The evil ones are not even scary! And the dialogue, especially between hero and heroine, is inane, to say the least.
I think this is the last time I will spend my money on a Julie Garwood book, at least not while she is in a slump. It's a shame! I write this review with no great satisfaction. I only hope to save fellow customers some time and money.

ARRAY(0xabc8d510)

Killjoy: A Novel
Killjoy: A Novel by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - July 1 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89