5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love it when the lawyers feel the heat
Published on June 27 2004 by Paul Skinner

3.0 out of 5 stars In Every Detective Series, Some Are Better Than Others...
Published on Jan. 28 2004 by J H Murphy

3.0 out of 5 stars In Every Detective Series, Some Are Better Than Others..., Jan. 28 2004
J H Murphy "Hank Murphy" (Agoura, California USA) - See all my reviews
I've read all but two of the Elvis Cole series and it's generally good throughout. This one was a little disappointing. For series fans, a lot more of Joe Pike's history with LAPD detective Angela Rossi could have been added here, and I think it would have fleshed him out a little. (We had to wait for LA Requiem for that.) There are a few geographic flaws which I found disconcerting as an Angeleno...San Pedro is not sixty miles from LA, maybe more like 16, which is a little like saying Brooklyn is twenty miles from Manhattan. The interplay with the Louisiana girlfriend lends a subplot which series fans will probably appreciate, but I can see where a casual reader might not get it.
But I occasionally found myself thinking that this book seemed like it was written in a hurry, or didn't have the full interest of the author. Not up to the usual standard, which is pretty good. I'd recommend starting with The Monkey's Raincoat first - this is best as part of the series, not as good read independently IMHO. Better than many other mysteries rated at three stars in Amazon, just less desirable in comparison to the rest of the Elvis Cole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love it when the lawyers feel the heat, June 27 2004
Paul Skinner (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
From the beginning, you know Elvis is being hired by a sleezy lawyer, who has got rich on high profile criminal defenses. This time, it involves a TV producer, who is accused of murdering his wife. The defense team wants to pin reasonable doubt on a particular LA police detective known for questionable activity in her past. But Elvis, just wants the truth. And you know, with Elvis and Joe Pike, the truth will be found, no matter who gets hurt along the way. Elvis's romance with Lucy Chenier gets re-kindled, as she pays him a visit during some west coast business meetings of hers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story!, Aug. 4 2014
Jenifer Mohammed, Author of Resurrecting Cybe... (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nothing is quite what it seems to be in this exciting hard boiled thriller. A rich and famous man accused of murder, a powerful lawyer determined to prove his client's innocence, and a detective determined to find out the truth make for a suspenseful and must-read story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let this one get away, Feb. 20 1998
By A Customer
I give this book a ten. After reading all of Robert Crais' books this is the best so far. The characters certainly more developed and the story more detailed. I had the chance to meet Robert Crais in San Francisco and was able to tell him how much I love his books. I pick it up and I can't put it down. I am glad to see Elvis get his girl! His writing makes me feel like I can see everything as it happens, real and alive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Investigating Crime in LaLa Land, March 28 1998
This is my first Robert Crais book and I am impressed! I am tired of depressing detectives, equally depressing characters that they are tracking down, and boring descriptions of where it is all happening. L.A. is alive in "Sunset Express" and so are all of the characters. Looking forward to reading more about Cole's adventures/misadventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery Fans: Elvis does Geraldo!, June 7 1997
By A Customer
I am a true mystery fan, but I have a hard time giving a 10 to anything I would not consider a classic. Otherwise it is great! Crais gets both the press and lawyers in one swoop! Crais' books get better and better and I look forward to the next Elvis Cole mystery with anticipation

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favorite Robert Crais book I've read so far, Sept. 30 1999
By A Customer
I've only read three Robert Crais books so far, but this one is by far my favorite. It's full of good writing along with a good story and an even better ending. Buy this book.

Sunset Express: An Elvis Cole Novel
Sunset Express: An Elvis Cole Novel by Robert Crais (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 25 2005)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92