biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

on January 11, 2013
I admit I came across this book while googling "gifts for guys" - so I won't complain that it's written for a 25 year old male audience - I will just point it out. Hard to believe a woman is the main author of this book - maybe she got her teenage son to jazz it up after she was finished. E.g. after defining several german words commonly used in English, the book says "the German's blew their wad on the nouns, so there are only a few adjectives..." That kind of thing is peppered throughout.
What I will complain about though is that I can't trust the facts . Being Canadian, I flipped with interest to the section on Canadian politics. It says we have a party called the Progressive Democrats, also referred to as Red Tories. (for non-Canadians reading this: this is not accurate, the party was (the book is a few years old) called the Progressive Conservatives, and red tories are members of this centre-right party who lean more towards the left. Small detail but if they couldn't fact check Canada - when we speak the same language and live right next door - then how can I believe the facts in the section on Cambodia?
If there was a more credible book that does the same thing as this one I would buy it instead, but I don't know that such a book exists. This one is fun to read if you can get past the guy talk.
on February 18, 2009
Great book with loads of info on everything! Reminds me of a "Bathroom reader"; something you can pick up and open at any page when you are feeling the need for some factual food. Great purchase for my mum's Christmas gift. She took it with her to Florida.
on May 23, 2014
The perfect amount of useless information about EVERYTHING!
You can school all the other people who don't know what they're talking about.
on September 7, 2015
Fascinating and an excellent read for trivia buffs.