4.0 out of 5 stars slightly displeased

Published on July 27 2008 by craz4books

4.0 out of 5 stars slightly displeased, Sept. 24 2007
bluegirl "jules" (SUDBURY,ON.CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of Linda Howard,always will be.But this book is second one that hits me as been slightly rushed.It begins well anough but Cam's complete 360 in regards to his feeling towards Bailey leave me feeling like there should be something more.I can see feeling more charatible towards someone in a life or death situation but come on he's cracked on the head and suffering from lost of blood and he thinks she's all that. I know most guy's think of sex all the time but this was a little to far fetched me.The stepson's attitude reversal was another big problem for me as well as well.I'll continue to bye her books but I think I'll wait till the paperback version comes out from now on.
A good example of Linda howard at her best is Cry no more,one of the best books I've ever read.That book will make you cry and cry some more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tried too hard, July 27 2008
craz4books (Brantford, ON) - See all my reviews
This is the second disappointing Linda Howard book I've read in the last few months and I'm hoping that it isn't a pattern. I keep getting the feeling that she's trying to force the chemistry or she's following some sort of checklist to make sure she's gotten all of the elements covered. Cam's sudden change of opinion of Bailey was unbelievable as well as their kindling romance. Basically I just made myself finish this book because I've been a Linda Howard fan for a long time and did not want to give up hope that the book would end up being as good as some of her older novels, sadly that just wasn't the case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Aug. 7 2007
This review is from: Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel (Hardcover)
Bailey's strong characteristics is a big plus. She's smart and I feel she has a stronger presence even than Cam. I feel almost the entire book was a great thriller. Until the suspence is finally revealed. It just left me feeling disappointed at the whole book that I'd been enjoying so much. The main villain is not only unlikely, it's too sneaky, and I just can't seem to agree with it. It's as though the conclusion was too rushed without warning, or Howard was running out of ideas. Sorry, I love Howard's book and always defend them, but this book just didn't do it for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars No magic formula, Jan. 1 2008
Linda Bulger (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel (Hardcover)
Sometimes a reviewer points out that a book follows a formula, and that could be a good thing or a bad thing. This book, unfortunately, follows at least two formulas -- and it's quite a bad thing.

The romance: young Bailey is the widow of a wealthy older man who left her in charge of his adult son's and daughter's trust funds. They hate her, she's walled off her emotions, enter handsome sexy pilot, Cam ...

The survival thriller: Cam pilots the charter flight taking Bailey on vacation, and they crash in the remote mountains of Idaho. He's injured and she saves his life. They realize that the crash was caused by outside interference. Will their resourcefulness and stamina overcome the rigors of weather and altitude and enable them to survive?

Oh wait, segue to Formula Romance: sharing body warmth under a pile of clothing in a makeshift shelter, him concussed and her infected from a puncture wound ... sparks fly.

Neither theme is developed convincingly. The hot relationship between Bailey and Cam feels circumstantial; the Uber-Girl-Scout performance of Bailey is never explained; and by the time we find out what REALLY happened to the plane, we don't care and it seems as if the author doesn't either.

With much more attention to character development and the other elements that make a book worth reading, this COULD have been a decent book. An opportunity missed.

Linda Bulger, 2008

Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel
Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel by Linda Howard (Hardcover - July 17 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.06