5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
This book set me free from false, self-imprisoning beliefs I didn't even know I had!
Published on July 9 2003 by V. Cleveland

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
For those who buy into the current American new agey affirmation laden culture, this book is great. Buy it, read it, and it may help you.
For those who question, think deeply, and are introspective try the more compassionate and realistic _Fear Book_ by Cheri Huber.
Published on Dec 4 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, July 9 2003
V. Cleveland (Simi Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Dr. Jeffers talks about no-lose decisions. Either way you go, you win. You get "goodies," meaning the experience of life, either way. I had always thought that one had to agonize, think, pray, talk to people, get advice and finally make the absolutely right decision or else all would be lost. How freeing it is to realize I can't go wrong. I get to experience life in all it's fullness either way.
Another section of the book teaches us to make connections in at least nine areas of our life. So many of us connect with just our work, or with our mate, or with a child. When we lose our one and only connection, we are devastated. She teaches us to have and nurture connections in several areas. That way when we lose one, we are hurt, but we can still move on.
Finally, I always thought that when I felt fear it was a sign that perhaps I should back off. Dr. Jeffers teaches that if you're not feeling fear, you're not growing. Fear is just part of life. We all have an internal "chatterbox" that talks at us constantly and tells us all the reasons why we can't do something. Our job is to overcome the chatterbox and she effectively teaches us how to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed the way I look at challenges., Aug. 28 2012
I see mixed reviews for this book but I credit the author for helping reshape my thinking. I read it at the age of 23. I had just quit a job in PR that had completely dominated my life for 2 years. I had a significant amount of cash in the bank, lived at home, was single and was essentially free from any responsibility. Family suggested I take some time off to date or travel, try living in another city, or buy a home here. Everyone kept telling me how I had the world in the palm of my hand, but I was completely frozen, depressed, and terrified to make any decision. My confidence was at a low, I felt like a failure and my friends had all but disappeared after years of choosing my job over them.

Then I read this book, suggested to me by one of my few remaining friends. It was a quick, simple read but you get the real impact by reading it a second, or third time. So many areas helped me reshape my thinking. Her question of "do you know someone in your life who think of as fearless?" resonated with me. Helping me understand that everyone feels fear and it's a person's interpretation of fear that makes all the difference, really hit home. Also encouraging me to view my life from a third person's point of view - like reading a book - really sprung me in to action. Taking away the expectation of a specific outcome to 'read on' motivated me to start dating... a lot! I detached myself from the outcome and just put things in to action. It was liberating, and I met an amazing guy (several actually, but one stuck:).

I'm now 31 and I use the lessons from this book, and Susan's book Embracing Uncertainty, everyday. I public speak regularly, I'm bolder in my dealings with people, I take financial and career risks, all with the confidence that I can handle whatever result may come of my actions. How do I know I can handle what comes my way? Because I've handled everything that's ever come my way in life. This book helped me realize that.

If you can take one or two lessons from a counselling book, it's worth a read. I promise, this one will give you many more than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Applicable to all, April 24 2014
This review is from: Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r) (Paperback)
Excellent author with practical advice. A must for every library. I particularly recommend this for business people, parents (so you can share this with your kids), and educators (again, for seeing that children get the message, too).

4.0 out of 5 stars found a few things, April 10 2014
I liked this book, it took a long time to read because I wasn't overly into reading. It changed the way I went about a break-up! I decided to be an adult about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, April 7 2014
This review is from: Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r) (Paperback)
This is a good book for people who are looking to make a difference in their life but fear is holding them back. This book was exactly what I needed to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, Feb. 23 2014
I like this book, it can improve my knowledge and clam me down. When I feel upset, I can find myself by reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ain't nothin' to it, but to do it!, Jan. 24 2014
This review is from: Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r) (Paperback)
I really wasn't expecting this book to be that great. Boy was I wrong. From the first few pages it gripped me and slapped some reality back into my perspective.
If you are hesitant on doing something - anything - in your life, then you NEED to get this book. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very influential book for me, April 15 2013
Dobes Vandermeer "Software Engineer, Enlighte... (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book was really the first personal development book I read and although I barely remember its content I know that it's message is bang on. We live life in fear - and yet many of the things we fear are completely imaginary. You can't go wrong reading this book and applying its wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful self-help book, for once, July 15 2003
This book takes a common-sense approach to fear. I read it about seven years ago, and have found some of its ideas and concepts very helpful:

- Fear doesn't go away until you do what you fear. If you're afraid to place an important phone call, the only way to lose that fear is to go ahead and call.
- There's no such thing as people who are afraid to fly, but people who refuse to board a plane. Many who fear flying board planes all the time - they don't let an unreasonable fear control their lives.
- To avoid debilitating fear in any area we should make sure our lives are well-rounded. Her 'grid' is very useful in this.
- Making a decision will always involve giving something up, i.e. what you would have gained if you had made another or the opposite decision.
Jeffers also urges us to lighten up, and for a society of drama queens that's sound advice!
Worth reading if you're plagued by self-doubts and are feeling unhappy with your decisions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Dec 4 2001
By A Customer

Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r)
Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r) by Susan Jeffers (Paperback - Dec 26 2006)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27