4.0 out of 5 stars This is a lovely book, Feb. 21 2010
A Canadian Fan (Northern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, and the reviewer has done an excellent job of describing not only the plot but also the tone of the book. Why did I give it only 4 stars? Rita Mae Brown, in her own words, acknowledges that personal information is just that and should not be shared with anyone. What we are given is a glimpse at her life from a certain angle - that of her beloved animals. She describes an amazing family life growing up, which gave her the courage and strength (both physical and moral) to live the life she has chosen. I would have liked more information about her, not just the focus on her life with the animals she has known and loved. Ms. Brown, now age 65, definitely makes her views known, more forcibly than in her fiction. I appreciate her opinions, whether I agree or not, so this is a very enjoyable read, especially for those that have loved her novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal magnetism, indeed!, May 4 2010
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small (Paperback)
I've read ALL of Rita Mae Brown's novels - other than the cat series - over the years, as well as her few works of non-fiction. I think she's a writer's writer. Some of the most beautiful paragraphs I've read come from her work, particularly "Six of One". She's a wonderful writer in that she often returns to the same characters many times, offering updates on our old favorites. I've really enjoyed most of her "Sister" Jane series and was looking forward to a new novel this fall, but I guess that's not to be. Maybe next year...

"Animal Magnetism" really should only be read by animal-lovers. I always refer to myself as a "'dog-liker', but a 'cat-lover'". Brown really is an "ALL-animal" lover and she writes in her latest book about the many dogs, cats, horses, birds, rabbits, and other animals she's loved over her lifetime. And, who've loved her right back. The book comes with pictures of her and various animals, I was only disappointed that while she often referred to her parents and grandparents, she never included any pictures of them. I would have loved to see the REAL "Juts" and "Aunt Mimi" ("Weezie"); her wild mother and aunt she's written about so many times.

Brown sort of makes herself seem as if she likes animals more than people. Maybe she does, but I remember standing in a long line, outside a Charlottesville book/coffee shop, in the early 1990's. She was inside, at a table, autographing her latest book. The line consisted of young, old, men, women, all ages and while it was a long evening, waiting in line, Brown was incredibly charming with EACH person, taking time to talk to everyone in turn. No one seemed to mind because we all knew we would get our own "face-time" with her!

Oh, and Rita Mae, if you read this, would you please - A. update your website and B. go to work on a novel about Celeste Chalfonte and her family. She's probably your most interesting character - after "Juts" and "Weezie", of course - and I'd love to know more about her family. Surely you can make her parents and her siblings the subjects of their own story. We got a look at her in Six of One, and references to her in other novels, but please devote a book to her. Please? Pretty please?

ARRAY(0xf5c7de0)

Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small
Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small by Rita Mae Brown (Paperback - Sept. 21 2010)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00