5.0 out of 5 stars A Creepy Murder Leads Rizzoli to Creeps, July 21 2011
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silent Girl (with bonus short story Freaks): A Rizzoli & Isles Novel (Hardcover)
"Whoever rewards evil for good,
Evil will not depart from his house." -- Proverbs 17:13 (NKJV)

I found The Silent Girl to be one of the very best books in the series. Let me explain why.

The novel has a strong sense of place. I often walk through Boston's Chinatown and the story evoked just the sort of thoughts and emotions that occur to me while regarding people there.

There are many mysteries here, each of which has to be exposed to the light of truth before anyone can know what really happened. I found that storytelling style to be intriguing.

By drawing on Chinese culture, there's an exotic element that makes the characters and story seem more exotic, almost like finding a hothouse flower unexpectedly in winter.

The story also grabbed me emotionally more than most police procedurals and suspense stories do.

Sometimes Dr. Gerritsen's stories don't completely ring true to me. This one allowed me to successfully suspend disbelief throughout.

The only aspect of the story that didn't appeal to me (other than what the villains did) was the brief involvement of Dr. Maura Isles. It seemed almost like a leftover from a different story than an essential part of this one. If it had been edited out, I suspect many readers would have liked the book better. But die hard fans of Dr. Isles will be disappointed, I'm sure, with the little they find of her here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen, Oct. 12 2011
Linda J. Leclair "Good Book Reader" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Some of her books with Rizzoli and Isles are not as good as this book was. The storyline in this book makes for excellent reading. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Not to be Silent About, Sept. 3 2011
Bernie Koenig (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Art Matters: The Art of Knowledge/The Knowledge of Art

I have been reading a lot of mysteries lately but this one really stood out. From the first sentence I was hooked. This has partly to do with the great writing. it just flowed. I found myself reading lines out loud, especially her descriptions.

Secondly, as a previous reviewer said, a great plot. Very complex but followable. The use of Chinese lore was great. The character of Iris fang is great.

Even though I have not been to Boston in decades, Dr. Gerritsen's descriptions made me feel as if I was there. I could picture the buildings and I think I got a sense of the street layout.

The sub plot With Dr. Isles could have been developed more but the point was to make her credible under any circumstances, which becomes important later in the book.

A really good read regardless of the kind of literature one may like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rizzoli & Isles, Aug. 12 2013
I have always enjoyed Tess Garritsen's books especially Rizzoli & Isles. They have everything in their stories, Comedy mystery and relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book. Unfortunately when it came I realized I already had the book and it was a good book., Feb. 1 2013
Joanne Dunsford (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately when it came I realized I already had this book. It is a good book. I have the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Tess Gerritsen, Dec 23 2012
This book was really great and actually very informative about Chinese folklore. I love Tess Gerritsen and the characters Rizzoli & Isles.

The Silent Girl (with bonus short story Freaks): A Rizzoli & Isles Novel