march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Tess Gerritsen has said that this story draws more on her own personal experience and background than any other she has written. It certainly shows, and this is the most absorbing Gerritsen I have read since The Surgeon. I imagine that once she had the plot outline clear in her mind this story really flowed from her pen. It certainly reads that way.

And quite a plot it is too. The starting point is a murder/suicide in Chinatown nineteen years ago that was neatly tied up by the police at the time. However it becomes clear that not everyone feels that the truth was uncovered or is prepared to let the past rest in peace. There are plenty of twists and turns as both Rizzoli and the reader exercise their deductive skills in trying to get a grip on what really happened.

This is not a short book, but it's one that I read through very quickly. It's an absorbing tale and if you like Gerritsen's style then The Silent Girl will not disappoint.
on April 11, 2015
a good mystery book
on August 12, 2013
I have always enjoyed Tess Garritsen's books especially Rizzoli & Isles. They have everything in their stories, Comedy mystery and relief.
on February 1, 2013
Unfortunately when it came I realized I already had this book. It is a good book. I have the whole series.
on December 23, 2012
This book was really great and actually very informative about Chinese folklore. I love Tess Gerritsen and the characters Rizzoli & Isles.
on October 12, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Some of her books with Rizzoli and Isles are not as good as this book was. The storyline in this book makes for excellent reading. I highly recommend this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2011
Art Matters: The Art of Knowledge/The Knowledge of Art

I have been reading a lot of mysteries lately but this one really stood out. From the first sentence I was hooked. This has partly to do with the great writing. it just flowed. I found myself reading lines out loud, especially her descriptions.

Secondly, as a previous reviewer said, a great plot. Very complex but followable. The use of Chinese lore was great. The character of Iris fang is great.

Even though I have not been to Boston in decades, Dr. Gerritsen's descriptions made me feel as if I was there. I could picture the buildings and I think I got a sense of the street layout.

The sub plot With Dr. Isles could have been developed more but the point was to make her credible under any circumstances, which becomes important later in the book.

A really good read regardless of the kind of literature one may like.
"Whoever rewards evil for good,
Evil will not depart from his house." -- Proverbs 17:13 (NKJV)

I found The Silent Girl to be one of the very best books in the series. Let me explain why.

The novel has a strong sense of place. I often walk through Boston's Chinatown and the story evoked just the sort of thoughts and emotions that occur to me while regarding people there.

There are many mysteries here, each of which has to be exposed to the light of truth before anyone can know what really happened. I found that storytelling style to be intriguing.

By drawing on Chinese culture, there's an exotic element that makes the characters and story seem more exotic, almost like finding a hothouse flower unexpectedly in winter.

The story also grabbed me emotionally more than most police procedurals and suspense stories do.

Sometimes Dr. Gerritsen's stories don't completely ring true to me. This one allowed me to successfully suspend disbelief throughout.

The only aspect of the story that didn't appeal to me (other than what the villains did) was the brief involvement of Dr. Maura Isles. It seemed almost like a leftover from a different story than an essential part of this one. If it had been edited out, I suspect many readers would have liked the book better. But die hard fans of Dr. Isles will be disappointed, I'm sure, with the little they find of her here.