4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Moving Read
Elizabeth Berg's Once Upon a Time, There Was You is a deeply moving exploration of the complex ways in which our relationships, past and present, shape us.

Read more at Suite101: Book Review: Elizabeth Berg's Once Upon a Time, There Was You Suite101.com[...]
Published on Oct. 17 2011 by Karen Gilmore

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable but boring & unbelievable
I love Berg but the last. two books were not up to standard. In this one the characters make unrealistic choices, and seem some what disconnected. Not a good read but any easy one
Published on April 20 2012 by Chele

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable but boring & unbelievable, April 20 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Moving Read, Oct. 17 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not her best work, Aug. 13 2011
I have read every book E.B. has written up to this point and she is to blame for my staying up all night not being able to put the book down...this is not one of those books. Not a bad read but she has certainly written better. The one incident that happens to the daughter seems to be really out of place in the novel and such a huge event is really under-stated and seems out of place with the rest of the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Aug. 8 2011
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
John and Irene's marriage only lasted eight short years. They divorced when their daughter, Sadie, was 8-years-old. Irene moved away making her the prime caregiver to Sadie and John visited when he could and had Sadie every August.

Their marriage and relationship was tenuous at best. In my opinion, it failed because of Irene. She is an odd character who is deeply lonely and neither she nor John had much in common other than their beloved Sadie.

When something terrible happens to Sadie, they come together and realize that in all these years they've never really figured each other out or even really knew how they felt about each other.

I loved the story but found Irene a very odd person, her own worst enemy at times. She wasn't ever happy, thought differently and perceived things differently than most people, but isn't that what makes each of us unique? Although the story involved John, Sadie, Irene and a few friends, I felt the story focused more on Irene than anyone. At times while reading I just felt like I wanted to yell at Irene: "Okay, okay just shut-up will ya!!! Geez!!" Her incessant chatter and what I call whining was weighing heavily on my nerves. I kept thinking "why?" are John and Sadie trying so hard with Irene, she "kept herself" miserable and couldn't seem to pull herself out of this narcissistic, lonely, complaining place she was in. The story was well-written and any author who can evoke such involvement and emotion in me definitely gets my thumbs up!!

Once Upon a Time, There Was You: A Novel
Once Upon a Time, There Was You: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg (Paperback - Oct. 4 2011)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27