5.0 out of 5 stars Expert says best breastfeeding book
In my roles as a La Leche League Leader, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, and a Registered Lactation Consultant I have spent many years working side by side with many mothers and fathers as they experience both the enjoyment of breastfeeding and the challanges.

This book, in my opinion, is the single best book available on breastfeeding...
Published on Sept. 2 2010 by Linda Crawford

2.0 out of 5 stars so it seems like they are not well-balanced individuals
too hippy. i 100% believe in breastfeeding until baby self-weans even up to two years of age. But some of the methods and views are very weird. The moms in la leche league advocate for breast feeding, but a lot of them aren't healthy themselves, so it seems like they are not well-balanced individuals. They are very opinionated . They are very much against pumping even...
Published 19 days ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert says best breastfeeding book, Sept. 2 2010
Linda Crawford (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)

This book, in my opinion, is the single best book available on breastfeeding. If you are pregnant and only buying one book on breastfeeding this should be it. If you are looking for a wonderful, supportive gift to give to a friend or relative who is far away this should be it. If you want the right book beside you to support you and guide you this should be it.

Why do I rate this book so highly? It is warm, supportive, informative, current and practical. Its easy to read. It doesn't talk down to you and it isn't a medical text. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding -8th edition - is like having that wonderful auntie beside you at 3 in the morning. You know the auntie I mean - the one who loves you, supports you and doesn't judge you, always says the right thing when you need it.

There are other excellent breastfeeding books out there. Books I recommend when there are special circumstances. But this is the single best one available.

This is the perfect gift to give anyone pregnant or with a baby. She will think of you warmly when she finds it says the most helpful thing at the most helpful moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Breastfeeding Book, July 21 2010
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Lots of current information yet easily readable. Everything from pre-birth preparations, getting started, breastfeeding at different ages and stages, nighttime nursing, combining breastfeeding and working, technical help for difficult situations, starting solids and weaning -- all in a warm, supportive, makes-sense presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book! Wonderful resource!!!, Nov. 10 2010
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
What a great book. So well written, and full of clearly stated, supportive information. The only breastfeeding book most of us will ever need!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every new mother, July 24 2010
S. Quarrington (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This book should be the first one every mother to be receives. Years of experience and the wisdom of the best current breastfeeding experts (including Canadian author Teresa Pitman) combine to make this your best friend during those first nerve wracking days home with a new baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, Feb. 25 2011
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I read the 7th edition and wasn't thrilled, but picked up the 8th edition as part of my training and read it out on the patio in the sun as if it was a typical summer book (i.e. novel). It was great!

After reading it, not only was I proud of my breastfeeding experience, but also I was proud of my birth, of my decisions as a parent, of my child. Overall, I was now a confident mother. All this from one book. It also convinced me to become an LLL Leader. Normally leaders give information and support, not advice, but advice I do give is: "Buy it, you won't regret it!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had it earlier!, Aug. 23 2010
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
I am the nursing mother of a 16 month old. The first 6 months of our breastfeeding relationship were difficult to say the least. I experienced every problem you could imagine. I wish someone had told me about this book before I had my daughter. I bought it a month ago, and have found the information incredibly useful even now that our breastfeeding relationship is very well established. The chapter on nursing a toddler has really made me feel good about my decision to continue to breastfeed. All expectant mothers who plan to breastfeed should buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Breastfeeding Book Ever!, April 21 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is THE breastfeeding bible, published by La Leche League International, considered by many to be the world's authority on breastfeeding. This latest edition is a complete rewrite. For those of you who know and love a previous edition, let me assure you that the three authors have out done themselves to produce the best Womanly Art ever. The information is easy to read, up-to-date, and evidence based. It's all there: laid back breastfeeding, how to know when your baby is getting enough to eat, how to avoid and manage problems like nipple soreness or a baby who can't latch, just about everything a pregnant or breastfeeding mother wants to know. The last chapter deals with all the picky challenges that many mothers will never encounter, so it's quite possible to go from reading about setting up your support system to nursing your newborn to starting solids and ultimately to weaning, without being frightened by possible problems that may never happen. The book is warm and encouraging, and tells you when to put the book down and call your breastfeeding helper. You can read this book chapter by chapter, or just refer to the section you need. With the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding on hand, you will be ready to breastfeed with confidence. And when you want to talk to a real person for mother-to-mother help, call one of the many La Leche League volunteers, who have all nursed for around a year (and often longer) and know what it is like to breastfeed a baby for many months. Women who attend La Leche League monthly meetings breastfeed longer than a similar group of women who breastfeed and don't attend a support group. So if you are expecting a baby, order your copy of the WAB and find your local group. Your WIC, health department, midwives, health unit, or chidbirth educators are the people who should have La Leche League phone numbers. Or go to the llli.org or lllc.ca to find a local group in the U.S. or Canada. And remember, if you're past all that, the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a wonderful baby shower gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding 8th Ed, April 5 2011
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Breastfeeding really is an art that used to be taught by observation, but in a culture where learning by observation is lacking, this book fills a necessary gap. An essential must read for all moms, ideally before baby arrives so you know some "how-to's" in time for when you need the skills, this book is an excellent prep for an optimal breastfeeding experience. Whether you have La Leche League meetings you also attend, or use it in addition to them, this book is invaluable for the topics it covers. It is well documented the best way to create a society of loving adults who are well adjusted and contribute a positive element in this world is how they were parented to start with. From breastfeeding too loving guidance parenting, The Womanly Art beautifully helps parents create these well adjusted, loving individuals. I adore the 8th Edition, the best yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for new Moms, Dec 14 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This is such a wonderful resource for new Moms and Moms-to-be, not to mention those of us that have been nursing for a while too. I'm currently nursing a 20-month old and find myself still referring to this book from time to time as the nursing relationship with my son further develops and changes. When nursing a newborn, I found all of the encouraging support and positional coaching in this book to be super helpful (laid back nursing SAVED my breasts those first few months!!). I think what I love most is now positive, supportive, and realistic this book is, I don't find it preachy or condescending. It has realistic sections on troubleshooting, and it really is true that if nursing hurts something needs to be fixed even if your latch looks perfect. I give this book to all of my friends at their baby showers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the bible.., April 24 2012
MudMouse (United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Paperback)
A cagillion years ago, when my children were babies, I was a La Leche League leader. This was the most informative book on breastfeeding, and I now have bought and sent it to my daughter, who is having her first baby and will breastfeed. It is simply the best.. was then, and still is now.

While breastfeeding isn't for everyone (you have no idea how long it took me to learn that one), those who choose to breastfeed can't go wrong with this book. East to read and to find the information you want. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying it.

And the best part is while I live in Long Island, my daughter lives in Canada. I was able to have this delivered to her door so easily!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International (Paperback - July 13 2010)
CDN$ 24.00 CDN$ 17.33