summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 2, 2010
In my roles as a La Leche League Leader, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, and a Registered Lactation Consultant I have spent many years working side by side with many mothers and fathers as they experience both the enjoyment of breastfeeding and the challanges.

This book, in my opinion, is the single best book available on breastfeeding. If you are pregnant and only buying one book on breastfeeding this should be it. If you are looking for a wonderful, supportive gift to give to a friend or relative who is far away this should be it. If you want the right book beside you to support you and guide you this should be it.

Why do I rate this book so highly? It is warm, supportive, informative, current and practical. Its easy to read. It doesn't talk down to you and it isn't a medical text. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding -8th edition - is like having that wonderful auntie beside you at 3 in the morning. You know the auntie I mean - the one who loves you, supports you and doesn't judge you, always says the right thing when you need it.

There are other excellent breastfeeding books out there. Books I recommend when there are special circumstances. But this is the single best one available.

This is the perfect gift to give anyone pregnant or with a baby. She will think of you warmly when she finds it says the most helpful thing at the most helpful moment.
on July 21, 2010
Lots of current information yet easily readable. Everything from pre-birth preparations, getting started, breastfeeding at different ages and stages, nighttime nursing, combining breastfeeding and working, technical help for difficult situations, starting solids and weaning -- all in a warm, supportive, makes-sense presentation.
on August 23, 2010
I am the nursing mother of a 16 month old. The first 6 months of our breastfeeding relationship were difficult to say the least. I experienced every problem you could imagine. I wish someone had told me about this book before I had my daughter. I bought it a month ago, and have found the information incredibly useful even now that our breastfeeding relationship is very well established. The chapter on nursing a toddler has really made me feel good about my decision to continue to breastfeed. All expectant mothers who plan to breastfeed should buy this book.
on July 24, 2010
This book should be the first one every mother to be receives. Years of experience and the wisdom of the best current breastfeeding experts (including Canadian author Teresa Pitman) combine to make this your best friend during those first nerve wracking days home with a new baby.
on November 10, 2010
What a great book. So well written, and full of clearly stated, supportive information. The only breastfeeding book most of us will ever need!!!
on February 25, 2011
I read the 7th edition and wasn't thrilled, but picked up the 8th edition as part of my training and read it out on the patio in the sun as if it was a typical summer book (i.e. novel). It was great!

After reading it, not only was I proud of my breastfeeding experience, but also I was proud of my birth, of my decisions as a parent, of my child. Overall, I was now a confident mother. All this from one book. It also convinced me to become an LLL Leader. Normally leaders give information and support, not advice, but advice I do give is: "Buy it, you won't regret it!"
on April 5, 2011
Breastfeeding really is an art that used to be taught by observation, but in a culture where learning by observation is lacking, this book fills a necessary gap. An essential must read for all moms, ideally before baby arrives so you know some "how-to's" in time for when you need the skills, this book is an excellent prep for an optimal breastfeeding experience. Whether you have La Leche League meetings you also attend, or use it in addition to them, this book is invaluable for the topics it covers. It is well documented the best way to create a society of loving adults who are well adjusted and contribute a positive element in this world is how they were parented to start with. From breastfeeding too loving guidance parenting, The Womanly Art beautifully helps parents create these well adjusted, loving individuals. I adore the 8th Edition, the best yet!
on December 14, 2012
This is such a wonderful resource for new Moms and Moms-to-be, not to mention those of us that have been nursing for a while too. I'm currently nursing a 20-month old and find myself still referring to this book from time to time as the nursing relationship with my son further develops and changes. When nursing a newborn, I found all of the encouraging support and positional coaching in this book to be super helpful (laid back nursing SAVED my breasts those first few months!!). I think what I love most is now positive, supportive, and realistic this book is, I don't find it preachy or condescending. It has realistic sections on troubleshooting, and it really is true that if nursing hurts something needs to be fixed even if your latch looks perfect. I give this book to all of my friends at their baby showers!
on April 24, 2012
A cagillion years ago, when my children were babies, I was a La Leche League leader. This was the most informative book on breastfeeding, and I now have bought and sent it to my daughter, who is having her first baby and will breastfeed. It is simply the best.. was then, and still is now.

While breastfeeding isn't for everyone (you have no idea how long it took me to learn that one), those who choose to breastfeed can't go wrong with this book. East to read and to find the information you want. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying it.

And the best part is while I live in Long Island, my daughter lives in Canada. I was able to have this delivered to her door so easily!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 19, 2013
When I had my son I didn't have many women in my life who had breast fed successfully. Without a support system, I struggled with breast feeding and began to feel discouraged. Breast feeding is something I really wanted to do for my baby, but sometimes I felt really intimidated. After reading this book, I felt so much better. This book has a way of not making you feel silly or guilty for asking questions. They go through different feeding positions, pumping, struggles, and more. I highly recommend this book, it's fantastic.