5.0 out of 5 stars Opening of the heart
Ashley Judd's book exemplifies a courageous and soulful individual who openly shared her experiences, insights, and emotions.
Published on May 5 2011 by qcridder

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Ashley Judd
While I admire her courage, determination, and her inner strength, and we all could take a lesson from this book,
I found it a bit long winded...
Published 23 months ago by Barb O.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening of the heart, May 5 2011
The book is an account of the author's outpouring of her own life challenges growing up, as a young woman, and experiences during her philanthropic work around the world. The author's own life demons and dsyfunctional family, along with her own recovery, seems to have provided her with the lens to 'see' , understand and empathize with others. The book was no doubt cathartic for the author and demonstrates her commitment to awareness, acceptance, and action.

One key message in the book is that 'keeping secrets is toxic'. It is also a story of hope and commitment to helping others, demonstrating the spiritual principles that guide her life and own recovery. While the book reveals the many horrific situations that exist around the world, particularly for women and child, Ashley's spirtual disposition offers us something positive - a chance to reflect on the lives of others. By example, the book reveals we can take steps to heal ourself and/or make a difference in the lives of others. Would the memoir be popular if Ashley was not a celeb? Who really knows. Notably, Ashley's integrity and compassionate intention in sharing these true stories, revealing both facts and the realities of her experience, is evident. Her celeb status has no doubt facilitated her sincere commitment to the philanthropic endeavors she has undertaken.

The book is extremely well-written and structured, providing the reader with clear timelines and explicit accounts of events in the author's life and work around the world. If nothing else, after or during the reading of this book, one may not resist the need to take stock of their own lives.

Thank you Ashely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Written, Nov. 14 2011
I enjoyed Asheley's memoir, it was a very honest and heart warming story, one that was therapeutic as well as painful to write about. I found her work with her charities and the stories that centered around those countries that she had travelled to, to be very sad, yet inspiring by her, and the women involved. The only part I didn't enjoy with the book was it tended to be very spiritual and hookey. I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the paragraphs were she tended to become very religious. I have always loved her as an actress, but found a new respect for her and the talents that she is using to bring forth the suffering and hardships that others are facing, and the differences she is trying to make. In the end, I would recommend this book as a worthwhile memoir to read. All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A MemoirAll That Is Bitter and Sweet: A MemoirAll That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock My World, March 5 2014
This review is from: All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir (Paperback)
This memoir is brutally honest and painfully detailed. I have been deeply challenged by Ashley's profound journey, and as a result, I have become even more thankful for the life I have.
I have highly recommended this memoir and will continue to do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gift, Nov. 6 2013
This review is from: All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir (Paperback)
I really like Ashely Judd, but this was a gift. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated. Will let you know how the person enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Ashley Judd, Jan. 7 2013
This review is from: All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir (Paperback)
I found it a bit long winded...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 6 2014
Great read - very heartfelt !

All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir by Maryanne Vollers (Paperback - Feb. 21 2012)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72