5.0 out of 5 stars Who's afraid of flying?
I remember having postponed the reading of this book, as a result of a comment by a passenger on a flight from Cagliari to London, which advised me against it before flying.
At the moment I thought it would be really disturbing, but now, after reading it, I realise that it did exactly the opposite effect to me.
We are undoubtedly facing a great thriller, which...
Published 3 days ago by Anakina

Published 12 months ago by VincentG

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's afraid of flying?, July 9 2014
This review is from: Airframe: A Novel (Paperback)
We are undoubtedly facing a great thriller, which narrates about a strange plane crash and follows all investigations into its causes, with a lot of interference by the media, which tend to place greater emphasis as always to the sensational appearance of the matter, rather than the truth, in an absolutely ruthless way, enough to bring down a large company. Everything on the basis of assumptions, without any evidence.
In another book Crichton had addressed not so much veiled criticism on the bad tendency to spread theories with little proof in order to create sensation and fear. I'm talking about "State of Fear", but it came ten years after this one.
The annoyance and anger provoked in the reader is almost the same, although in "Airframe" it refers to a subject, that of the people who work in the airline business, which does not affect us closely. But now, thanks to the skill of the author and the obvious extensive research done before writing the book, we get to know a fascinating world that is continually moving in front of our eyes (or should I say over our heads) and that we almost take for granted, without understanding its enormous complexity.
Reading this book, we learn how airplanes fly, how they are made, all professionals who are behind their construction, but also understand how they are extremely safe.
And, when you get to understand something, it is rather difficult to get really scared.
For this reason I would suggest its reading to those who still fear this fascinating means of transport, provided that (and it is quite a feat!) they commit to deal with it with attention and maybe have some minimal knowledge of physics or a particular interest or just curiosity about such a technical subject.
Said so, you may think that it is a sort of fictional essay, just like the aforementioned "State of Fear". In fact it is not. It is a thriller that captures you and keeps glued to the book. Actually I read it in less than a week (we are talking about a novel of more than 400 pages), despite my chronic lack of time. I just could not stop. Anyway the description of the technique is undoubtedly essential to understand all the aspects of the plot and try to find the cause which is "guilty" of the accident, it is almost a detective story.
And just like in a well thought out detective story, the elements to uncover the truth are scattered everywhere in the plot, all the more it is a good reason to read it in its entirety with extreme attention.

Rita Carla Francesca Monticelli, author of Red Desert - Point of No Return

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must read if one is hesitant about flyingt, Dec 20 2013
Amazon Customer (New Westminster, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Kindle Edition)
The research that was required in order to write this book had to be phenomenal
and painstaking...... MC was such a wonderful write and created a novel that
many people who fly can understand the miracle of flight.

2.0 out of 5 stars All downhill from an average start... specialists in aviation will be hugely disappointed, June 22 2013
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
While I cannot fault Crichton's story telling ability and his pacing in what is supposed to be a techno-thriller, I found myself being disappointed by the 'techno' part of it, as this is where anyone who specializes in aeronautics will find fault with this novel. I do not know who advised Crichton on the technical aspects, but 'nobody at all' would seem like a plausible answer. The portrayal of Flight Data Recorder (the famed 'black box') as being unreliable is massively wrong; in my career, I must have decoded hundreds of flights, and never seen a single bit being out of whack. Not only that, but I have not noticed any event where the embedded fault correction logic was actually needed to recover a parameter. Further, Crichton depicts the FDR as recording totally ridiculous data, like the position of the wings relative to the fuselage, so that a playback with the alleged faulty data would show them flying on their on a fair distance from the rest of the aircraft! Since the FDR is central to the story, the whole novel collapses into insignificance because of it.
If one does not know about aerospace, most of the techno babble details will be 'word candy' that can be overlooked, but for anyone who works in the field, how wrong those are would be a major distraction and annoyance. And disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars MOVING THE CHESS PIECES, July 18 2004
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
AIRFRAME is another mystery on Crichton's growing list. The daughter in this tale shouts, "Oh, Mom, I missed you!" Which is what the reader will also echo in his or her search for character in this novel. When you write film scripts, which this essentially is, you leave it up to Sharon Stone to provide the elements of character. The heroine, Casey, in this story is one of the author's chess pieces, a woman who dumps her daughter off on her ex husband and engages in zipless sex while she stumbles her way to solving the mystery of the why an airplane dove out of control.
Crichton does put some nice messages out there. He shows how TV news show producers and anchormen become prostitutes to their own stories. He displays the infighting that goes on between corporate bosses and their wannabe underlings. He demonstrates how corporations play footsie with their big customers. So what if he does pass off film scripts as novels, Hollywood is where the money is. The reader can't have everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never want to put this book down., May 11 2004
Maq (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is Michael Crichton at his best.
The entire book is so suspenseful and gripping that you won't want to put it down until you're finished... I read it in three days because I couldn't put it down.
Like his other books, it's backed up with scientific information on the subject, but unlike some of his other books, he keeps it to a comfortable level to keep it interesting without disrupting the plot.
This is a must-read, but set aside some time to read it as there are few good stopping points. The book is that good!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book i have read for some time, April 26 2004
M. Mansell (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
this was my first michael crichton book so i approached it with sceptisism. i was not dissappointed however as this had me gripped from start to finish.
forced to write this review after reading the odd one or two give it 1 star out of 5. this is grossly unfair and deserves far far better. best book i have read in ages.
i have since read "prey" by crichton and intend to purchase more of his books as they are geat reads.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing good here, April 23 2004
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike many of Crichton's other works, this lacks both excitement and information on science and technology. The main character, Casey Singleton, is in a race against time to find out what caused a mid-flight incident on a plane that resulted in 3 dead and 56 wounded. But the danger and the suspense doesn't feel real and the only reason to read the rest of the book is to find out what really happened. Everything that leads up to the conclusion seems unecessary and not at all interesting. I don't recommend this title to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Crichton-class novel, March 23 2004
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book disappointing, and not even close to as captivating as his other books.
If you're an airplane buff, you'll like this book. If you are a Crichton fan, maybe not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great..., March 3 2004
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
Good book, but the reason for the 3 instead of 5 is the anticlimax at the end of the book after such an intriguing start and middle section. If this is what it was all abt then I have to say I wasted time reading it. But it gives some idea abt commercial aviation industry. Not bad. I have to say I liked the experience but not the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like Crichton's other books; but is soo good..., Feb. 24 2004
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
When reading this book, you'll say "gee, you know, it has Crichton's very descriptivness, and his good character choices; but, where's the science?". Yeah yeah, if you've read Timeline, then you read Airframe, you'll swear they weren't written by the same guy. Airframe is a great page-turner, and isn't like a super action-packed and science book like Timeline. This book deals with betrayal, investigations, suspense, and drama. It almost seems like it was written to be a movie with all the great aspects of the book. But, this book was one of my favorites. I suggest you read this book...and if you've read it, well read it again!

Airframe: A Novel
Airframe: A Novel by Michael Crichton (Paperback - March 22 2011)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89