5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must read if one is hesitant about flyingt
The research that was required in order to write this book had to be phenomenal
and painstaking...... MC was such a wonderful write and created a novel that
many people who fly can understand the miracle of flight.
Published 4 months ago by John T Marchiori

2.0 out of 5 stars All downhill from an average start... specialists in aviation will be hugely disappointed
While I cannot fault Crichton's story telling ability and his pacing in what is supposed to be a techno-thriller, I found myself being disappointed by the 'techno' part of it, as this is where anyone who specializes in aeronautics will find fault with this novel. I do not know who advised Crichton on the technical aspects, but 'nobody at all' would seem like a plausible...
Published 10 months ago by VincentG

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll at least be more attentive next time you fly!, Dec 15 2003
J. Green (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Hardcover)
A trans-Pacific flight from Hong Kong encounters severe turbulence leaving several passengers dead and many more injured. Casey Singleton, who is in charge of Quality Control for the airplane manufacturer, is assigned to head the internal investigation into what went wrong. But it soon becomes apparent that someone doesn't want her to figure out what happened. Add to it a labor dispute, and not only is the future of the company in jeopardy, but Casey's life as well.
"Airframe" offers an amazing and interesting insight into several industries. I learned some very interesting things about how the airplanes are made and the tests and regulations required. While reading it I even felt a bit uneasy about flying, and found that I paid a lot more attention to the operations of the jet the next time I flew. But not only was the book informative (for a work of fiction, anyway), but it was also a lot of fun to read. Maybe not my favorite Crichton book, but I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredibly Intelligent Suspense!, Dec 4 2003
Zena (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Michael Crichton novel, and since then I have read many others; I have yet to read one that surpasses this intelligent, thought-provoking, and technically spun suspense about an airplane crash that leaves a bizarre and gruesome scene behind. Crichton's superb writing reflectes the meticulous and educational research he must have gone through to depict a world in the aftermath of an airplane crash and the media's obssesssions with sensationalism.
The novel is centered on the heroine's relentless investigations in order to salvage the airline company's reputation and airplane manufacturer. The media, government, incompetent technical team, multi-billion corporations, and an elusive presence that clearly does not want her to find out the truth and many more heart-palpitating twists are incorporated in the story.
If you do not know which Crichton book you want to choose, I highly recommend AIRFRAME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, sleek and engaging, Nov. 29 2003
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
On average, I finish a novel every 3 days. I read all kinds of books. I loved this one and it prompted me to write a review for the first time. I love to get to know the characters, but I prefer to do it through their actions and dialogue. Not through endless descriptions and insights. This is my main problem with Koontz and King. Airframe allowed me to get to know the characters well but through the story. The story keeps moving and never gets side-tracked or bogged-down with endless, tedious descriptions. I loved this book. I loved the subject matter, the story, the twists and turns. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Nov. 23 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
I hate reading. As a high school senior, there is no book that i would ever pick up and read on my own. After reading Airframe, i would re-read it again any day...UNBELIEVABLE BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sacared to fly now, Nov. 20 2003
Vic Celani (tikrit afganistan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
this one of his best books it a is a masterful work of flight literature

5.0 out of 5 stars An Aviation Novel that Gets It Right!, Nov. 15 2003
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
Most news coverage about plane wrecks in grossly inaccurate. Even when solid facts emerge the media almost always gets it wrong. That is the real story of this book.
An aviation incident is turned into a fiasco by a press more concerned with sensationalism than accuracy. Getting down to reality is another matter. I've worked in the maintenance department of a major airline and I found the story, setting and characters to be very realistic. Crichton did his homework very well on this book. Perhaps the most realistic part was the maintenance people watching a news report outraged by the misrepresentations. Been there, done that.
If you want a realistic novel about the world of transport aviation this is it. One warning however, the language is straight from the shop floor too. Nothing gratuitous but just the way things are.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapponting, Sept. 1 2003
Ian Mccarty "imccarty" (Sammamish, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first Crichton book and I must say I'm very disappointed. I have another one of his books on my shelf but I'm in no hurry to read it.
On the plus side the story was well researched and it provided, to a novice, an insight into crash investigation. However, the book was slow and only the fact that I'm stubborn I would have given up on it.
The ending is very good but it take a long time coming.
In summary, give it a miss. Good ending but you'll feel disappointed having sat through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page-Turner, Aug. 31 2003
Kevin Keigwin (Ventura, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first heard of this novel, the subject matter sounded uninteresting to me. Only after a friend strongly recommended it did I give it any consideration at all. And even then, I waited until there were no other books on my "to read" list before buying a copy. Well, I wish I hadn't waited so long. Airframe is a great book!
Michael Crichton brings his usual cinematic writing style to Airframe, reinforcing a suspenseful story with a level of technical detail that brings depth and additional interest to the events that take place. And while the book is primarily focused on an investigation into an airplace accident, which may sound dry and uninteresting, the character interactions and intrigue are more than enough to keep the story moving at a steady pace. In fact, there was never a point where I felt the momentum lull.
As an added plus, I particularly enjoyed Crichton's portrayal of the news media. I felt that his unforgiving commentary on the motives and methods of television "news" programs was dead on, and in fact has become even more accurate in the years since he wrote this novel.
Kudos to Crichton for this one - I would recommend that anyone read Airframe, and do so before they ruin it by turning it into a movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page-Turner, Aug. 31 2003
Kevin Keigwin (Ventura, CA USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Sailing, Aug. 11 2003
Daniel Vullo "BRAIN CANDYMAN" (Weehawken, Nj United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airframe (Mass Market Paperback)
Like a good neighbor, Michael Critchen is there. When you want to read a no hassle guaranteed good book, M.C.'S airframe is a book that can certainly share that tile along with many of his other novels. Airframe is as slick moving and as aerodynamic as one of planes described in his novel.
The story involves a plane that has an in air accident, people are hurt and questions need to be answered or heads will roll. Critchen takes a technical subject and makes it easy to follow. You will learn alot about the airplane industry, deregulation drawbacks, corrupt business men, union troubles and immoral reporters. Critchen pulls no punches on touchy subjects and makes it really entertaining. The last 100 pages read like a roller coaster ride, loops and all.
In a nutshell, an accident in the air causes many to be hurt. Now the question is cast: Is the plane unsafe? What caused the accident? Will this accident prevent a potentially large contract from being obtained? Who or what will prevent it? Critchen's heroin Casey, must put her reputation on the line as the airplane quality assurance rep, and dig through the mass of technical facts, bureaucracy and overzealous reporters. What will happen next you'll need to read to find out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb43c7360)

Airframe: A Novel
Airframe: A Novel by Michael Crichton (Paperback - March 22 2011)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89