5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable
The "A song of fire and ice" series is quite honestly astounding. Writing is crisp and very polished. It is quite a pleasure to lose oneself in the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. And that is a big plus with these books: they are captivating. Rarely have I ever been so immersed in a world. Especially a fantasy one.

However, there is a price to all this amazement...
Published on July 3 2011 by Maelor

1.0 out of 5 stars Last Book Incomplete
I have read the first 4 books before but wanted the box set in order to read it again as has been a lot of years since 4th book and the fifth is finally out in mass paperback. Got the set and was really happy. Have been reading the series but when I got to the fourth book the first 46 pages were missing. I couldn't believe it. The only thing that saved it for me was...
Published 18 months ago by Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, July 3 2011
This review is from: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (Mass Market Paperback)

However, there is a price to all this amazement. The initial 350 pages of the first book, Game of Thrones, are very slowly paced, for they are meant to introduce the reader to the world and characters, and it serves as a spring for the epic story that ensues. I'm not saying they are bad, quite the opposite. But you will not be blown away right away. But once the pace picks up, its a roller-coaster ride you will never forget, nor regret.

Lastly, with a price like this, its quite a deal as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, March 15 2012
ecira (Brickton, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
These books are being made into a televised series on HBO and they have already completed the first season. I ordered these books after watching the first season and they are even better! (books always are!) The depth of character that the author delves into is amazing, giving us a glimpse into this faraway place and lost time. I think it is a must read for those who love the mystery of what could have been and yet to see.

-Game of Thrones- 835 pages
-A Clash of Kings- 1009 pages
-A Storm of Swords- 1177 pages
-A feast For Crows- 1060 pages

Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, April 6 2013
One of the best birthday gifts I've ever been given!
This series came to my attention because of HBO, and I must say I was enthralled.
A Game of Thrones introduced Westeros, the Starks, the Lannisters, the hints of by-gone events (Robert's Rebellion), and the Direwolves!
A Clash of Kings was even more thrilling to read, with the factions/kingdoms divided and vying for control or hell-bent on revenge.
A Storm of Swords was the hardest to put down (thank goodness for vacations!)
A Feast for Crows was not as compelling a read as the first three, but since I was reading the four volumes back to back, I wasn't completely let down. Basically it was a 'breather' book (to show the chaos of a divided kingdom and the aftermath of war, I guess), and I took it all in with a grain of salt.
Overall score would be 4.5 stars (because of fourth book not being as fantastic a read as the first three).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Good Show, April 20 2012
Before I started reading the book I watched the show and they're actually very similar. The book is easy to read and it has kind of a medieval vibe to it as he uses words like "evenfall" for evening. So if you like fantasy books with medieval style writing, I think you'll enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give this 10 stars!!!, March 6 2012
I cannot believe how much I LOVE this series!! I have recommended it to anyone and everyone that will listen to me, right from my grandmother to the stranger I met walking down the street. I have never been a fan of fantasy, but after watching season one on HBO, I just had to have more. I personally enjoy the way GRRM writes each chapter as a character. I found many chapters left you hanging like a good season finale. This made it near impossible to put the books down. The detail in which GRRM writes, leads the reader to lose themselves in the beautifully descriptive worlds of Westeros & The Lands of the Summer Sea. He also encourages the reader develop many love-hate relationships with the large list of characters. I do not know how I can bare the wait for the next installment . :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put them down, Jan. 13 2012
It's one thing to finish one 800 page book. But to sign up for three more, you know they must be good. These books are a marathon, not a sprint. The first few hundred pages can be confusing as you try to keep all the names, loyalties, histories, and storylines straight, but it's this richness that keeps the reader engaged and wanting to stay on board for thousands more pages. Just enough deceipt, mystery, sex, scheming to keep it juicy, and characters you can really connect with (Daenerys, Arya and Tyrion top my list- love all the strong female leads). A great read for young and old, men and women alike!

4.0 out of 5 stars Way more awesome than the show that brought me to this series, June 29 2011
John Acoba - See all my reviews
I looked all over my city for these books and when I saw the waiting list(300+ holds), I couldn't wait any longer and I ordered it as soon as possible. Was it worth the wait, ye bet it was. I couldn't put down the books when I started reading them. I'm near the end of the second book and it is such a shame that I have to wait next year when Clash of Kings airs on HBO :-(.

Im not really a fantasy reader but George RR Martin makes his stories so interesting like the way John Ghrisham makes me interested into law/suspense books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Set, Dec 1 2011
This was a great book set, and although each book pushes or exceeds 1000 pages, any avid fantasy reader would welcome this series with open arms. Each successive novel becomes more and more intense (with the exception of the fourth, where the action comes to a near stand still).

Regardless, this set would make a great present, for a friend or even oneself.

Note that the pages have fine print. If you would like larger, more spaced out text, the hard-cover version would be much easier to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Series I've ever read., July 16 2012
"The Best Series I've ever read." is a bold statement but I'm confident in making it. Lord of the Rings, is a fantastic classic and a must read, but I am enjoying this series more.

A Song of Ice and Fire combines elements of fantasy, historic fiction, action adventure, and classic literature in a manner that I have never experienced before. Westeros 'the fantasy world' is wonderfully described so I always know what is happening and where. I find the attention to each little detail to be exquisite. Every aspect of the characters lives is examined. This is not always a good thing as in the latter books of the Clan of The Cave Bear series. But Martin is able to make even the mundane interesting.

If there is one thing that makes this series so compelling it is that I can never anticipate what is going to happen. So much of this series is unpredictable. This tone is established early in the first book and does not change throughout.

Not every book is as enjoyable to read as the one before. I found the third 'A Storm of Swords' to be the one I liked the least. Not because it wasn't well written, quite the opposite, I found the stories of the characters so heartwrenching that I dreaded picking it up every night. 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is a journey and you shouldn't expect everything to be resolved at the end of each book. Often very little is resolved. The timelines evolve at an almost real world pace. Every novel has a substantial amount of story leading up to every significant event. Not every reader will enjoy this but I love seeing how all of the seemingly small events lead to the major plot points. This style of writing also gives the reader a chance to really get to know the characters.

I recommend this series to everyone I meet. It's fantastic. Although it should be noted that there is graphic sex and violence in each book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Books at a great price!, Nov. 16 2011
The story as been written about to death and if you're considering this you clearly know what its about or have an idea. Just for reference this is fantasy but not your typical elves and mages high fantasy but more a modern political pseudo medieval fantasy. Don't worry though there are fantasy elements in this series but let's just say the heroes aren't riding unicorns everywhere. The story is quite good in my opinion but the true bargain here is the price for these four books. Each book is about 800-1100 words long and carries a lot of twist and turns. This makes it worth the buck if you like to get into the series since the series is still on going and this makes and easy introductions set/gift.However as I mentioned they are pretty long and they are told from multiple perspective, something which not all readers will enjoy. Personally I enjoyed my time in the seven kingdoms and can't wait to return but be warned that these books are well detailed and aren't the kind you read in one sitting as references are constantly made between chapters and novels of the most minuscule significance that its easy to miss if read too quickly. Also the author is somewhat cruel to the his characters. All four books have merits but in my opinion the first three are better then the fourth one. If you seen the HBO adaption you'l most likely love these as there are just minor difference here and there.I recommend to anyone who likes fantasy and drama or anyone who's ready to escape to a land of sword and sorcery for a lil while.

Used & New from: CDN$ 42.37