Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 11-20 of 192 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on May 23, 2013
I very much enjoyed the series so far and cannot wait to read the final two books. I like the characters points of view chapters as a tool that Martin uses to make us care about them. You get their points of view and see their motivations and fallibleness much better than with a regular narrative. The intricacies of this politically charged world and the ambiance of the medieval era set a nice backdrop for what is after all a very human story full of love, betrayal, and survival. It is also nice to be part of the whole sub-culture of Game of Thrones, with its wiki, fan fictions and blogs as everyone discussed the theories surrounding the characters. The books are long and they differ from the TV series (as most adaptations will do, but HBO has done an amazing job of conveying the world of Westeros), and you cannot get too attached to certain characters, but are well worth the time spent reading them.
on August 1, 2011
This epic fantasy has as it's peers Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" and Robert Jordan's "Dragon Lord" saga. What differentiates it from them is that it has many "leading characters." And several of them are killed as the story unfolds. A few new characters are introduced, but not anywhere near the thousands that Robert Jordan introduces.

Love, magic, treachery, loyalty and other noble beliefs, unkillable undead, and religions and cultures distinct from our present world. All this and more are blended into this masterfully presented adventure. Science fiction and fantasy have been my mainstay reading material for most of my life, and George R. R. Martin crafts twists and turns that I could not have foreseen with all of this experience behind me.

I have the mass market paperback boxed set, and each book is almost 2 inches thick. Persevere, the journey is well worth it.
on September 18, 2013
We don't have cable or satellite television, so we wait until the miniseries sets are available for purchase on DVD and enjoy them then, over a period of weeks - (date night episodes, and all). The next miniseries on our list was "Game of Thrones", and when I discovered that it was the first of a 4 book series, and since my husband and I love to read, that's what we opted for. I am still reading the first of the 4, and loving it. My husband can't wait for me to finish so he can start. As I read this wonderfully crafted series, the scenes created in my mind's eye are so much more vivid than anything that can be reproduced on the screen. So looking forward to the next 3 books in the series.
on December 29, 2011
I didn't realize before I ordered this boxed set that the story doesn't end with these books! After long nights spent trying to master the complex history and geography, the many nuanced and interesting characters, and the intricacies of the plot, I happened to read a review of the next book in the series, recently released in hardcover after a 5-year wait, which STILL doesn't resolve the plot.

You WILL BE FRUSTRATED!!!!! That said, Martin's ability to build and discard characters is unrivaled, and the complex world he creates is compelling and three-dimensional. You're just betting that he lives to finish it!
on July 31, 2013
I'm new to reading fantasy and George R.R. Martin has added another genre to my likes. While there are other amazing fantasy writers that I've heard about, Mr. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series are engaging, well thought out, character development is realistic and each chapter has something to offer that keeps me on my toes. I have less than 100 pages left to read in book three, A Storm of Swords and I can't wait to start on A Feast for Crows. I've decided to read the books first before watching all three HBO series too.

If you're new to fantasy like me, I highly recommend Mr. Martin's books.
on July 12, 2011
Wow! This series is amazing. I first started reading it after the HBO series ended, and I needed more. I read the first book, and was amazed at how close the show was to the actual book. I moved onto the second, and was not disappointed. The characters and scenes are so well written, the suspense is phenominal, I never want to put the books down.

The box set itself is awesome. I have it sitting out in the open in my office. Each book is approximately 1000 pages, and more than worth the money spent on it. Plus the books arrived about 2 days after I ordered them. I am so glad I ordered this set.
on November 11, 2013
This series of books written by George R Martin is a Master Piece,A must-have.
I ordered it after the stores took it off the shelves or sold out,which I'm not sure.
I ordered them on a Thursday and received them on Saturday!!!
Great Price ,Great Service,Awesome Books.
This was my first time using Amazon ,and I will continue and have continued to
use their service.I will not give my Credit Card # to just any retailer,with Amazon
It's only between you and them, they deal with the retailer.Gives you a semse of
security which is a must now a days. Thanks Amazon.
on December 30, 2011
This series is a geo-political thriller set in a fantasy world the likes of which has never been written. There is no comparison, this is by far the best series I have ever read.
The most appealing attribute to this series is that no characters are strictly black and white, there is no 'good vs bad' there are just motives and actions, all with real life risks and consequences. I have never found a series that matches this one in scope, realism, nor in pure storytelling magic.
For this price, you should treat yourself to some brain candy and lose yourself in the pages.
on September 7, 2011
I'll admit, I'm still a novice when it comes to the fantasy genre, but this one has me hooked. Without giving out any spoilers, the story never takes the turns you think it will. When you think that you see something coming, it usually means that the story will make a 180. I highly recommend and I am staying optimistic about the following books. I was introduced to this series by the HBO television show, and it's nice to see how they stayed true to the story. I would suggest reading the first book when watching season 1 of a game of thrones.
on December 18, 2012
This book has everything from intimate relationships to intrique and war. There are many characters and at times it is hard to keep them all straight. If you are going to read Game of Thrones purchase the series of books and read them through without to much of a gap between books as you will forget all of the twists and turns in the plot. It is difficult to remember all of the characters and and what they were foing the last time they where mentioned. Overall these books are epic in scale and once you get into it they are hard to put down.