5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable
The "A song of fire and ice" series is quite honestly astounding. Writing is crisp and very polished. It is quite a pleasure to lose oneself in the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. And that is a big plus with these books: they are captivating. Rarely have I ever been so immersed in a world. Especially a fantasy one.

However, there is a price to all this amazement...
Published on July 3 2011 by Maelor

1.0 out of 5 stars Last Book Incomplete
I have read the first 4 books before but wanted the box set in order to read it again as has been a lot of years since 4th book and the fifth is finally out in mass paperback. Got the set and was really happy. Have been reading the series but when I got to the fourth book the first 46 pages were missing. I couldn't believe it. The only thing that saved it for me was...
Published 18 months ago by Grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!, Oct. 23 2011
This review is from: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (Mass Market Paperback)
I'll just start by saying that besides the Harry Potter series, I'm not really a lover of fantasy-type books at all. But a friend recommended watching the HBO series 'Game of Thrones'. Halfway through the second episode, I turned it off because it was just so darn good that I knew I had to read the book before continuing with the tv series!

Just finished the first book and was completely blown away--- this book series has everything and you don't need to be a fantasy-lover to appreciate it. Amazing characters, adventure, thrills, romance and intrigue... I could literally not put it down.

The best part of the first book is that NOTHING turns out how I expected... the last hundred pages or so take the characters in totally different directions from where I thought the story would go.... thrilling reading! I immediately started Book 2, which is off to another great start-- I've heard book 3 is the best of them all.

I loved the Harry Potter series and this, to me, is like the (very) adult version of that. So creative, such a complete and well-thought-out world, and even thought there are fantastical elements, there is no need to really suspend disbelief... it all feels very real.

It might be a bit of a slower start for some people... maybe give it a good 50-100 pages to truly capture you... it's a tad confusing at first and takes a while to be introduced to all the characters, but once it gets going, you will be up late at night reading into the wee hours.

Now that I've read the first book, I'll go back to finish watching season one of the tv series--- which is also INCREDIBLE. Can't wait and I'm so glad to have 4 more books waiting for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game of Thrones, Dec 11 2011
This series is not for someone who has a short attention span, or feels that a book has to have all sorts of action going on - all the time. This book has a wonderful mix of action, character development, drama, and storytelling. These books are detailed to the point where you can envision every chapter in your head, as though as it was being played out right in front of you on the television.

I have not been able to stop reading this series since I started. Each chapter keeps me guessing - and the plot always thickens. I also watched the first season of "A Game of Thrones", a TV show on HBO after I read the book. The show stays true to the book, apart from minor differences.

I would suggest this series to anyone who loves to read and is interested in medieval/fantasy type literature. If you are not someone who is interested in reading, I would definitely suggest the TV show - you can't go wrong with either choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Novels, May 23 2013
I very much enjoyed the series so far and cannot wait to read the final two books. I like the characters points of view chapters as a tool that Martin uses to make us care about them. You get their points of view and see their motivations and fallibleness much better than with a regular narrative. The intricacies of this politically charged world and the ambiance of the medieval era set a nice backdrop for what is after all a very human story full of love, betrayal, and survival. It is also nice to be part of the whole sub-culture of Game of Thrones, with its wiki, fan fictions and blogs as everyone discussed the theories surrounding the characters. The books are long and they differ from the TV series (as most adaptations will do, but HBO has done an amazing job of conveying the world of Westeros), and you cannot get too attached to certain characters, but are well worth the time spent reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Fantasy, Aug. 1 2011
L. Jackson - See all my reviews
This epic fantasy has as it's peers Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" and Robert Jordan's "Dragon Lord" saga. What differentiates it from them is that it has many "leading characters." And several of them are killed as the story unfolds. A few new characters are introduced, but not anywhere near the thousands that Robert Jordan introduces.

Love, magic, treachery, loyalty and other noble beliefs, unkillable undead, and religions and cultures distinct from our present world. All this and more are blended into this masterfully presented adventure. Science fiction and fantasy have been my mainstay reading material for most of my life, and George R. R. Martin crafts twists and turns that I could not have foreseen with all of this experience behind me.

I have the mass market paperback boxed set, and each book is almost 2 inches thick. Persevere, the journey is well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read, Jan. 2 2012
Good purchase for the price.
Of course you have to like this type of story. The style is perfect as the narration changes with the storyteller.
The pace is quite good, never really letting up because there are so many actors in the story.
Great gift, really.
I warmly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get cosy....once you start, you won't be able to stop., May 29 2013
Diana E. Young "Diana Young" (Vernon, B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy reading series, as they allow an in-depth view of their characters and can build a good story. This series was really intriguing because it was historical (but a fantasy) and had all kinds of interpersonal relationships and conspiracies. Along the same lines as Lord of The Rings with a completely different theme. I always find it interesting to explore the world of power and old-fashioned gender discrimmination from the past. Makes me very glad not to have been a woman living during this time. The books were easy to read and compelling enough to keep you up late at night. I would recommend this series to anyone who is interested in historical, fantasy fiction.
Diana Young #1 Amazon best-selling author www.financialfitnessbooks.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Books ARE Better than Movies, Sept. 18 2013
We don't have cable or satellite television, so we wait until the miniseries sets are available for purchase on DVD and enjoy them then, over a period of weeks - (date night episodes, and all). The next miniseries on our list was "Game of Thrones", and when I discovered that it was the first of a 4 book series, and since my husband and I love to read, that's what we opted for. I am still reading the first of the 4, and loving it. My husband can't wait for me to finish so he can start. As I read this wonderfully crafted series, the scenes created in my mind's eye are so much more vivid than anything that can be reproduced on the screen. So looking forward to the next 3 books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Warning!, Dec 29 2011
Bima (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I didn't realize before I ordered this boxed set that the story doesn't end with these books! After long nights spent trying to master the complex history and geography, the many nuanced and interesting characters, and the intricacies of the plot, I happened to read a review of the next book in the series, recently released in hardcover after a 5-year wait, which STILL doesn't resolve the plot.

You WILL BE FRUSTRATED!!!!! That said, Martin's ability to build and discard characters is unrivaled, and the complex world he creates is compelling and three-dimensional. You're just betting that he lives to finish it!

5.0 out of 5 stars New to fantasy or looking for something different? Excellent series!!, July 31 2013
I'm new to reading fantasy and George R.R. Martin has added another genre to my likes. While there are other amazing fantasy writers that I've heard about, Mr. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series are engaging, well thought out, character development is realistic and each chapter has something to offer that keeps me on my toes. I have less than 100 pages left to read in book three, A Storm of Swords and I can't wait to start on A Feast for Crows. I've decided to read the books first before watching all three HBO series too.

If you're new to fantasy like me, I highly recommend Mr. Martin's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game of Novels, July 12 2011
Wow! This series is amazing. I first started reading it after the HBO series ended, and I needed more. I read the first book, and was amazed at how close the show was to the actual book. I moved onto the second, and was not disappointed. The characters and scenes are so well written, the suspense is phenominal, I never want to put the books down.

The box set itself is awesome. I have it sitting out in the open in my office. Each book is approximately 1000 pages, and more than worth the money spent on it. Plus the books arrived about 2 days after I ordered them. I am so glad I ordered this set.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›