5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!
Could not put this book down until finished...even vacuumed while reading it! Suspenseful, not able to determine where it was going so many twists & turns. Great .
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the fuss about
The characters are not believable. None of them. The hero
is so weak one wonders how it is that two 'beautiful' women
fell in love with him. Publishing has become a game of 'Names'
and Hype. If you must read this book, do what I did. Get it
from your local library. Thank me later...
Published on May 25 2002 by Gregory M. Rhodes

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the fuss about, May 25 2002
Gregory M. Rhodes (Lake County, Illinois) - See all my reviews
The characters are not believable. None of them. The hero
is so weak one wonders how it is that two 'beautiful' women
fell in love with him. Publishing has become a game of 'Names'
and Hype. If you must read this book, do what I did. Get it
from your local library. Thank me later...

1.0 out of 5 stars It's deja vu all over again, May 13 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone For Good (Hardcover)
I wish Coben would go back to his Myron Bolitar series. Having read Tell No One and found it passable, I looked forward to Coben's next attempt at non-serial fiction with Gone for Good. However, after reading Gone for Good, I'm wondering if we have another series going here. In Tell No One, the hero's wife disappears...is she dead? Yes? No? Maybe? In Gone for Good, the hero's brother disappears....is he dead? Yes? No? Maybe? Then the dutiful girlfriend disappears...is SHE dead? Yes? No? Maybe? Are the good guys good or bad? Is the FBI good or evil? Yes? No? Maybe? Do you see a trend here? Who will the hero of the third book in the series lose? His beloved dog, Scooter? Will Scooter be dead? Yes, no or maybe? And will the FBI be good or bad, and will the bad guys be truly bad or really kind of nice? Seriously, there was such little difference between this book and Coben's most recent one, Tell No One, that I was amazed that he got away with publishing both. Gone for Good is almost like an outtake reel of the previous book. The two plots are entirely too similar, the characters virtually identical, and the "bad guys" almost laughable. When The Ghost, a deadly assasin, sidled up to the hero at the airport with crumpled autopsy results explaining maternity based on gross anatomy, I had to laugh. I guess he had to get that point in somehow. Oh Myron, where have you gone?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Feb. 23 2014
Amazon Customer (Holland Landing, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone for Good: A Novel (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller, Feb. 1 2014
This review is from: Gone for Good (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading it through and could not stop. Easy to read and good suspense. I do recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harlan Coben - Master of the Plot Twist, Dec 21 2002
This review is from: Gone For Good (Hardcover)
After reading Tell No One, I waited patiently like a good kid for his next book...meaning: the day it was released I ran out to buy it, told everyone who asked "I was real busy with work", and settled into the divan in the big bay window overlooking the Pacific Ocean, with no real plans, I immersed myself into the fast action world of Harlan Coben.
Taking a quote that sets the stage: "We never forget our first love. Mine ended up being murdered." And from this starts the new and ninth book, which was a fast lane ride from beginning the very last and very surprising twist at the end. Coben is the king of twists and he doesn't disappoint. In fact, the book is full of twists. Each time I thought I might be on the right track, Coben would throw out another curve, off I would go believing that now, I was truly on the right path. The only drag on the book is that the lead character, Will Klein is interchangeable with the lead from Tell No One, David Beck but honestly that didn't bother me too much. Between all the action, plot twists, the lead characters dealing with rage, memory, lost identities, broken hearts, and grudges into the next lifetime, my plate was filled, appetite satisfied and I was immersed in a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Sept. 17 2008
Amy Brown (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
I actually stayed up all night and finished this book...... it was simply amazing. The plot twist changed constantly and although I sometimes had to flip back to get a clear memory of a character I loved this book. As a skim reader I often pass over descriptions and characteristics in certain parts, however, I read every word of this book. I love to be surprised and stumped all at the same time in a good read and Gone For Good did not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 400 pages of pure adrenalin!, Oct. 25 2007
I LOVE BOOKS (Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was my first Harlan Coben book and I loved it!

The opening chapter begins with Will's mother, Sunny, on her death bed, whispering something incredible about her other son, Ken, who had vanished into thin air 11 years earlier ofter the brutal murder of their neighbour Julie (who had also been, in the past, Will's much loved girlfriend). Ken had been accused of the murder but Will always believed in his innocence, despite the evidence against him.
After the funeral, something totally unexpected turn up in Sunny's bedroom. This starts off a series of mind-boggling events. The tension starts building up immediately, escalating up to the very last page, with twists & turns at every corner.

I liked ALL the characters, no exceptions, well depicted and very credible indeed. Will's and his friend Square's jobs, working and volunteering for a charity house trying to save young teenagers from the dangers of street life, is well described and conveys the care, understanding and efforts these persons put into their line of work (and not just in fiction). Although pertinent to some of the events, the story is not, however, solely centered on their work at the charity. There so much more! A real page-turner, where narrative, events and dialogues are fast paced, plausible and convincing.

Just the kind of thriller book I like, where, in the end, every little details is taken care of, every question is answered to and you are left without any lingering doubts. Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Coben Page-Turner, Nov. 27 2006
R. Hansen "rob_slick" (Hamilton, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This is the second Harlan Coben novel I have read. The first was Tell No One, an equally suspenseful tale but I found it had a weak ending.

If you have read Tell No One, you will see the similiarities jump out at you from the first few chapters (girlfriend is missing/murdered, hero works for a charitable organization), but keep reading and the books are quite different.

Coben crafts a fast-moving plot with short chapters that keep me reading through the night, each time. If you enjoy turning the page to discover an unexpected and still believable plot twist, you should be reading Harlan Coben. He twists and turns the story right through to the end.

The end was another disappointment, hence the 4-star review, but was still an improvement over Tell No One. In order to wrap up so many twists, he uses a great deal of exposition and page-long dialogue that reminded me of a mystery whodunit detective explaining the killer's motive at the end.

This is still an amazing book, and I will continue to read more Coben novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow,just read it..., July 3 2004
Tomer Cooper "tomercoop" (Givat-Shmuel,Israel) - See all my reviews
Wow,this book is amazing.the suspense and the many twists in the plot are shoking time after time.thsi is a Great great book! i start the reading in friday night and finish the book on saturday night.A little more than 24 hours...
if you're looking for a great thriling non-stop twists book,this is the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, July 3 2004
This review is from: Gone For Good (Hardcover)
This is the third Harlan Coben novel I've read and it is the best so far. Coben's plots have more twists and turns then a roller coaster. There is a surprise literally every few pages.
And that is the problem. Some of the surprises, many of them in fact, are simply jarring. They are clearly dramatic devices intended to move the story forward and the reader is sometimes forced to deliberately invoke their own sense of credulity.
Fortunately Coben's enough of a storyteller to involve the reader to the point of doing just that.
Coben is a powerful writer. His characters, while lacking depth and believability, are engrossing. The good folks are far and few between, the bad guys and dolls are plentiful and you simply can't be sure of where everyone stands.
The ending of "Gone for Good" is disappointing. Coben has to wrap up too many loose ends and it smacks of a 1930s movie with the detective assembling everyone in the drawing room and lecturing each suspect until revealing the perpetrator. Of course, it doesn't help that the "surprise" at the end is simply too surprising.
All that said, Coben is an immensely gifted writer who clearly has not reached his prime. He's entertaining, pulls you from page to page and is very clearly on the verge of breaking through. I'll be reading his five other novels to see if he's made it there yet.
Jerry

Gone for Good: A Novel
Gone for Good: A Novel by Harlan Coben (Paperback - Oct. 25 2011)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89