summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on June 12, 2016
I’ve put off reviewing this book simply because no words of mine can equal this storyteller, this bard. A 1000 years ago he’d be a strolling minstrel. Without a doubt this is the best exposition of the written word I’ve read in 20 years.

It’s a long book, make no mistake. I read it before visiting India, I read it throughout a 3000 kilometre road trip through Northern India and I was still reading it a month after I got back. If you start this book you’re in for the long haul. But don’t let that put you off. This is a story that covers several adventures, several larger-than-life characters and for good measure serious philosophical theories are bounced around causing the reader to stop and ponder, if only for a few short minutes.

Do I like Gregory David Roberts? I don’t think so, but boy can he write!

Would I read another of his books? Not for several years, I don’t have the stamina. But this is one of those stories that everyone should read just once throughout their life.

A modern classic.
on May 29, 2016
A well written account of the love for a beautiful culture adopted as his own. The story begins with his arrival in Bombay after escaping prison in his homeland and his love of the people that took him in. Even though he came from a troubled past, he attempted to give back to the people of the slums. He immersed himself in their culture, learning their various dialects. He also gives an inside view of the mafia and their impact on the different religious wars and local gang wars. Awesome read!
This "novel" is gritty and raw. The author claims it's a novel, but I think in fact, much of the book is a parallel to his own life in the slums of Bombay. This is not a pretty book, nor is it a feel good book. But it will take you deep into the depths of the slums, and deep into the depths of a soul that has seen hell and come back. Yet, there are redeeming features in both those slums and that soul. The book is hefty at 944 pages but I read it in a single day because I could not put it down. I already have the sequel, equally as lengthy, on order. A third book in the series is promised to be a prequel.
on April 30, 2016
Good read
on April 22, 2016
Excellent read. Well written, great story line with enough fact to make you think it is, a true story. Would recommend to anyone interested in other cultures.
on April 20, 2016
A+
on April 18, 2016
Truth better than fiction . Lets go with the movie !
on March 26, 2016
Fantastic book. Even though it is long I was sad when it ended. Particularly when he described Bombay I truly felt I was transported to be right there with him, his descriptions were so on point and fascinating. Will be gifting more copies of it to my book lover friends.
on March 9, 2016
I loved this book and didnt want it to end. I learned a lot about India from this book and thought of it in more of a positive view after reading this novel. I enjoyed the philosophical bent within the story line, which made me learn and think. Entertaining, engaging, educational and emotional......all the things I love in a good book. Cant wait to read the sequel.
on March 2, 2016
lecture fatastique si vous êtes de passage à Mumbai, mais je le recommande à tous ceux qui aiment yoyager