Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 3, 2004
Fat Chance is the best Red Dress Ink offering this year. Well... that doesn't say much because I haven't been impressed with this year's RDI books thus far. But this novel's plot is rather interesting and compelling.
Maggie O'Leary is America's anti-diet guru. Her column is a cause celebre amongst overweight readers nationwide. But when a gorgeous Hollywood star hires her as a consultant for his next film, Maggie forgets about everything she's been fighting over and decides to hit the treadmill. But she has got to look ravishing for sexy Mike Taylor. But is it worth jeopardizing her career? After all, being overweight is a job requirement...
The scenes in which her peers and co-workers attempt to make Maggie eat and keep her big made me laugh. The irony wasn't lost on me, and that's what makes the novel's twists interesting to me. Deborah Blumenthal's insights on society's obsession with thinness are compelling and honest. She is a keen observer. My complaint about this novel is that the secondary characters aren't fully developed. I feel that Tex, Tamara and Mike lack depth and realism. And that is why I find the ending a tad contrived. Also, I didn't like the novel's structure. Sometimes the articles and factoids in the chapters make it seem more like a diet or lifestyle how-to book at times. All in all, this is a great book to read. To me, Fat Chance is the counterpoint of Jane Green's Jemima J. and a great companion to Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed. Good read...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2004
This book wouldn't have ordinarily appealed to me, but a friend recommended it and so I took a chance. I'm very glad I did. The main character, Maggie O'Leary is an over weight columnist who gets her chance at "winning the man" and getting thin in the process. The writing was great, if the story lacked a bit in depth. But I think what kept me hooked was the age old "dieter's plight" that so many women (and men) can relate to. This is definitely a chick lit book, but one well worth it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse