5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece indeed - all about a a collection of connections
I read it myself, loved it, lived in it and couldn't put it down - so sent it as a birthday present to my 'daughter-out-law in Toronto. Haven't heard yet whether she is as enthralled by it as I was - and still am. But she darn well should be!

Published on Sept. 18 2011 by J. Jago

3.0 out of 5 stars Take your time with this one!
The last part of the book v. interesting - I learned a lot about life in wartime cities. Difficult to get into the first, introductory, part. My husband agrees. Rather an esoteric subject but informative.
Published 1 month ago by June Solntseff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece indeed - all about a a collection of connections, Sept. 18 2011

I bought my first copy in a a London (UK) book shop offering a 2-for-1. Made my first choice and scanned the rows for my 'bargain'. I spotted The Hare with Amber Eyes and remembered I'd read something about it, couldn't remember the review and short of time, picked it up.

What happenstance! This eloquently written, absorbing and unique family history with its complex relationships combines an eye-opening account of the horrors and dreadful depredations of the Jewish people by the Nazis. But it takes no shortcuts on the structuring of a Jewish family rising from not-quite rags to unimaginable wealth - and the means by which this is achieved.

This is a book written with considerable charm, insight and more than anything else, absolute truth.

I gave my first copy to a friend and now have another - read it and reread it again and again. A masterpiece like no other.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i have read in ages, March 12 2011
This book has it all:history, scenery, art, emotions, subtlety, great writing, and all this from a man who is a well known potter but not a writer.
I highly recommand it; you are in for a treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, March 15 2013
E. G. Berry - See all my reviews
A book that raises questions about our relationship to objects, to ownership of art and the meanings they have in our lives and the stories they tell of who we were in the world . And a book that, underneath, writes the history of a Jewish family during the terrible years of the two great wars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than fiction, Feb. 26 2013
The inanimate comes alive by tracing the lineage of a family through the owners of a particular netsuke collection. The past lives through each hand that has touched these tiny wood and ivory carvings.
It's an intimate journey through time, art, fashion, political and social climates.
You will be transported.

3.0 out of 5 stars Take your time with this one!, Aug. 1 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating tracing of a family's possessions, May 5 2014
The stories that eminated from the second world war appear to be infinite. this story of a very wealthy family is woven through the collection of Japanese miniature sculptures and is truly capitvating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Fiction, April 21 2014
I was very pleased, as usual, with the prompt delivery and accurate quality description that I find on Amazon. The book is a non-fiction and was difficult to get into. It makes an interesting read if you in to historical recounting of families.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for art history fans, April 18 2014
Interesting for anyone interested in art history and the impact of the Second World War on Jewish families living in Austria.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare Find, March 14 2014
I am impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though at the beginning I was wondering if I would even get through it. De Waal is an expert writer with the ability to describe scenes vividly. I found the descriptions of Nazi Germany and the treatment of the Jews just terrifying. I learned so much about this treatment and what happened to the possessions confiscated from the Jews. As we move to more acceptance in our daily lives, many more people need to read this account and learn from it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Hare With Amber Eyes: over indulgent puffy writing., Dec 13 2013
I did not care for the long, tedious descriptions of the personalities who were suffering from over indulgent personalities and life styles. I got so discouraged reading about those entanglements that I decided I did not care about ivory nutsukes, or their quests for them or their houses, clothing, social interactions,reasons for the obsession about these or their life styles.
Finally in desparation, I gave up on the tediousness of the endless descriptions and gave the book to A second hand store.
Sorry Mr. DeWaal---I just didn't like working that hard to enjoy ceramics and nutsukes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hare With Amber Eyes
Hare With Amber Eyes by Edmund Dewaal (Hardcover - Sept. 3 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.90