5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Translation
The is my favorite translation. The prose and language just fits about as well as I think English can get. The best way to read The Odyssey is in verse form, and this is the best English version you will find. The introduction and extra content is also quite good.
Published 5 months ago by Travis Mataya

3.0 out of 5 stars The Odyssey a classic
I think that the Odyssey is a good book to read because it talks about excited things that happend in life. It is an intresting book to read. Alot people that I now have read this book.
Published on Feb. 25 2004 by Graciela Aguirre

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Translation, Feb. 15 2014
Travis Mataya - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars War and Penelope., March 7 2005
Jan Dierckx (Belgium, Turnhout) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
I hope that those who read my review will forgive me because I would like to talk mainly about Penelope, the wife of Odysseus. When I read the Odyssey for the first time, I thought it was a wonderful adventure book with beautiful and dangerous women and I laughed with that half-wit of a Polyphemus, one of the cyclops. But near the end something was missing, it was not what it should be. Odysseus came home. His son Telemachus and his swineherd were glad and his dog could finally die with the comforting knowledge that it's master was among the living. Why didn't Penelope make a joyful sound ? Why was she so silent ? I shrugged my shoulders and said:'women!'. It's only years later I began to understand a little. So many people died in the Trojan war. The many adorers of Penelope were slaughtered by Odysseus with no compassion at all. The silence of Penelope was a reproachful silence. She was wondering how many more dead people it would take before men could live in peace. We still ask that question

5.0 out of 5 stars The oldest classic, March 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
Many people do not realize that Odyssey (and Iliad) is poetry. The English translation is quite awkward. The text is more than
2800 years old and ancient Greek was a highly structured language. It was much more complex than any other Western including the currently spoken Greek. The fact that readers find it compelling today proves its value. On the other hand it requires, from the reader, to understand the natural limitations of translating poetic story telling and also a level of culture. Considering this, the human-centric focus and the genius of Homer will become evident.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Odyssey a classic, Feb. 25 2004
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
Now that I read this book I have enjoy this book alot and my friends have to. I put for the title of the review.The Odyssey a classic because I think this book is going to continue to success because I think that the people are going to continue reading this book. I think that is a very import book.

3.0 out of 5 stars The odissey in the news., Feb. 25 2004
Eva Estrada. (El Paso Texas.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
I think that this book in parts is good, because it talks about a men that are capted by a mounster and that mounster dont led odisseus go back home to see his family, and is for that, that I dont like to much these book, because no body can live far of his family, and eather no knowing nothing of his family. many people said that is bether live out his family and this book show us that if love concuires in that family, no matter who traing to separate that family, at last ther would be together.

5.0 out of 5 stars The odyssey the gret book of all times, Feb. 25 2004
Ana flores (El paso TX. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
well, I think that this book is an important book for everybody because it talks about the problems that we have in our lives, well it does not talk about our daily problems but it talks about our bigest problem in life and I think that it shows us how to resolve it, because I think that the main purpose of the book is try to teach us that if we have a problem in our lives we must resolve it even if we take 20 years, but we should never give up.
And I realy recomend this book because it has a lot of adventure, action, and it blows your mind. and remember this, read all the books you can, is the best think you can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homer's second best!, Dec 29 2003
G. Alfonsi "gpat" (Asuncion Paraguay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
First the Iliad, then The Odyssey. Both epics are essential to understand the western civilization in its origins. Of course, they are not easy reading. One not accustomed to verse might find both epics boring. However, if you are willing to know why all classics writers mentioned them as precious jewels that inspired them, there's no other way than going through their pages. For me it was hard at the beginning, but after a while, I was not able to leave the story/history behind. Like most things, first things first! And both the Iliad and the Odyssey must be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest epic ever written, Nov. 9 2003
V. Nguyen (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
There is no doubt that this work had one of the greatest, if not the greatest impact on western literature.
Name any book and you can see elements in which that book is portrayed within The Odyssey.
The story takes place some time after the Iliad in which suitors overrun the home of the brave tactician Odysseus. His son, Telemakhos has no recollection of his father since the day he was born was the day that he left to fight the Trojan War. The beautiful wife of Odysseus, Penelope remains steadfast and faithful even though her home is flooded with the most eligible of bachelors. His son had grown to manhood but still not a true man since he grew up without his father guidance. At that time, Athena comes to him in form of a human to help him on his way and suggest he leaves to find news of his father and to be out of harms way because the suitors plan to attack him.
During this time his father is trapped on the island of the beautiful nymph which he "reluctantly" beds and but is soon freed by the god Hermes.
The rest tells the tales of how Odysseus returns home. Odysseus tells the story that takes place beforehand through storytelling.
Odysseus is the pinnacle of Greek heroes. But his character does have it flaws. Odysseus also willingly beds down with not one but two beautiful goddesses during his travels and expresses little remorse for his infidelities - though he rails against the suitors who are trying to capture his wife. But he is blessed with both strength and brains. There is no better "improviser" or "strategist" in Greek mythology, though the label attached is often "cunning" or "deceiver"; indeed, many Greeks saw Odysseus' habit of lying as a vice and a weakness. His penchant for disguise complements his ability to make up plausible stories about his background. Although Odysseus' ingenuity comes across as his chief weapon, his Achilles' heel of sorts is the frequency with which he falls victim to temptation and makes grave tactical errors, none more so than when adding insult to injury to Polyphemos and revealing his true name. Still, Odysseus is aware of this flaw, and bids his men to tie him up when they pass by the Seirenes, the paragons of temptation. By the end of his journey, he has learned to resist temptation, willingly suffering abuse by the suitors to meet his eventual goal of destroying them.
At the end, (not to give it away) poetic justice is served. But you knew that.

5.0 out of 5 stars War and Penelope., Nov. 6 2003
Jan Dierckx (Belgium, Turnhout) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
It's only years later I began to understand a little. So many people died in the Trojan war. The many adorers of Penelope were slaughtered by Odysseus with no compassion at all. The silence of Penelope was a reproachful silence. She was wondering how many more dead people it would take before men could live in peace. We still ask that question.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic, Sept. 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Odyssey (Paperback)
The Odyssey is one of the finest pieces of literature ever written. To put Homer's text in perspective, it is Shakspeare's parallel. Heroic characters with unwavering values, avengers of love, and a quest with danger, monsters, and mythical beings are a few of the elements that enabled The Odyssey to survive over three thousand years. This piece of work enticed my mind and the flow of words is incredible. This story takes the reader through the tribulations of each character. I would suggest The Odyssey to all kinds of readers; it is not stereotypical of any one person. I was required to read this book in my 8th grade class, and I was lucky to have read it before. Reading it again in a different environment in which we discussed and evaluated the book made it that much more intriguing. I highly recommend this book and find out why it has lasted all these years.

Odyssey
Odyssey by Homer (Paperback - Nov. 1 1998)
CDN$ 14.50 CDN$ 11.55