5.0 out of 5 stars a compact guide for real life families

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not good either
Published on March 11 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not good either, March 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall: A Parent's Guide to the New Teenager (Paperback)
As a child psychologist myself, I've been reading a large number of parenting books looking for material to suggest to families I see. While this book is not a total waste of time, and there are some (IMHO) worthwhile ideas in here, I would not recommend this book to anyone. I listened to the audiobook version, and while no prude at all, I did find the use of vulgarity excessive. Apparently the author assumes teens all swear like linebackers around their parents. While I know they have a colorful vocabulary, many use discretion regarding when they use it, and his presentation made it appear this is the norm and not to be too concerned about it. After 15 years in practice I can count on one hand the numbers of teens who have cursed in my office without immediately catching themselves and apologizing.
Second, I find his stance on many issues to be rather passive and unnecessarily so. While I always advise parents to choose their battles, and certainly am aware that total control is neither possible nor recommended, I found this approach to be a bit too much of the 'shrug you shoulders...what can you do' ilk. There are worse parenting books out there, but there are better as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars a compact guide for real life families, Dec 13 2002
By A Customer
This is the best how-to-parent-a-teen book I have found, after reading quite a few. It is succinct and humorous and covers the situations that really happen to parents and their teen aged kids. This book gives the best advice I've seen on how to reduce conflict, how to avoid unecessary conflict (he gives explicit advice on how and when to pick your battles), and how to handle conflict when it does occur, as sometimes it must. However, this book really convinced me that a lot of parent/teen conflict is unecessary and superfluous to really trying to raise a good kid into a good adult without trashing the relationship and spending several miserable years. It shows how we often react in a way that negates our true intentions, and gives better options for interacting. I have gone back to this book a number of times and I always come away feeling I've gotten advice that I can put into practice with real (and positive) results. I think my son and I are happier and closer as a result of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, practical and humorous Guide!, Oct. 10 2002
By A Customer
"You will be punished and some day you'll have a teenager just like yourself" These were the prophetic words of my mother, sometimes spoken in jest, sometimes in awe, but mostly in fits of frustration and anger. As a parent through adoption I had some hope that I might be spared the angst I put my parents through."
"But alas, as this book demonstrates, the teenage years are universally challenging due to the developmental issues faced by all those who enter. While "Get out of my life..." doesn't specifically deal with adoption issues, (adoptive parents should read up on the unique complexities that adoption brings to teenagers), this it is a wonderful, matter-of-fact, often lighthearted explanation of the struggles facing both parents and children."
"From failure to participate in chores, to lying about their whereabouts, to sex and drugs, the author normalizes these behaviors and offers sound advice to harried parents. For those embattled parents going through this roller-coaster ride, sitting down with this book feels like a big supportive pat on the shoulder from a kindly professional. This is a must read for all parents - good luck!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do teenagers act the way they do?, Sept. 5 2002
Harold McFarland (Florida) - See all my reviews
Many parents of teenagers feel that their world has suddenly been invaded by creatures from another planet. What once was a well-behaved child has suddenly become a disrespectful, obnoxious creature with no consistency or logic whatsoever to their behavior. Anthony Wolf takes us on a wonderful trip to their planet to help us to understand what is going on in their world and why they act the way they do.
Sharing the knowledge that he has accumulated over years of counseling, he shows us that, believe it or not, teenagers often do make perfect sense! With a witty writing style he shows deep insight into why teenagers act the way they do, why girls and boys generally deal with teenage feelings differently, the perils and problems of each and how these fears and feelings manifest themselves in the teenager's actions and language.
Filled with positive advice such as knowing when you have won and need to stop instead of continuing a battle, how to pick your battles, and how not to get sucked into a battle that really has nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Some of the most important points that he makes includes the fact that it is a temporary situation and soon they will be past the teenage years, you will not make the right decision every time and it is okay to make a wrong one, and what you do now does make a difference even though it does not appear to have any effect right now.
A highly recommended book for parents who want to understand what their teenagers are going through and how they can appreciate and help them through those difficult years.

5.0 out of 5 stars I survived my daughter's early teenage years with this book!, Dec 25 2003
Sonja Guthrie (Tallahassee, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
The parenting issues this book explores are right on target! After reading this book and applying some of the practices and attitudes Mr. Wolf advises, I was able to return to a happy and calm life in my own home (without getting rid of the teenager!). I have bought four copies now to share with other parents that are lamenting the teenage years in their home! A MUST READ.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help! I have a teenage!, Oct. 27 2011
This audio book helped me to live with my 16 year old. I repeated listening to it once in a while and every time it gives me something more, something that I did not realize before. Since the book has to cover a larger ranger of audiences, not every thing in the book was relavent. But I found what I needed. When you are lost at what to do to live and strive with a teen, every bit you learn is worthwhile.

J.T.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plain and simple, Oct. 15 2010
JC "JC" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This easy to read book most of all gives you perspective. Your kid's behaviour, nerve-racking as it may be, is no different from most teens'. The author reproduces fictional dialogues, modelled upon his practice, many of them you can't avoid feeling identified with. He doesn't offer much advice, though, beyond hang-in there, it's just a stage, it'll pass. Let's hope he's right!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Language Unnecessary, Feb. 12 2004
Suzanne Heninger (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me. It has a lot of good ideas about understanding and dealing with teenagers. However I was very distressed by the use of bad language throughout the book. It was used while quoting "typical" teenage responses to parents, but it still is unnecessary. I am a teacher. I don't allow that language from my teenagers at home, from my students, or from the adults I work & associate with when they are talking to me. I certainly don't need to read that kind of language in my parenting materials. The more we accept bad language in our media, the more of it we will hear. It is something we do not have to tolerate. Because of the language, I do not recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your teens read it also, April 13 2004
By A Customer
As a therapist who specializes in adolescents, I have recomended this book to dozens of parents. They all love it and always recognize their teens. I tell parents to let the teens read the book also, they do, they laugh, they learn. It is the best book about teens I have ever read or used in my practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, helpful book, March 15 2004
By A Customer
This book is outstanding on two levels: theoretical and practical. It is plainspoken, funny, frank, and a great guide for how to weather the storm of adolescence wisely and well. If you're suddenly struggling with your teenager and have only one book to consult, this is it.

CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36