5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I hoped for
This was exactly what I wanted, even better the was the fact that it is an early edition in perfect condition.
Published 8 months ago by Kimberly K. Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the hype (nor the movie.)
This has been the only time I actually like a movie better than the book. I enjoyed the movie, so I wanted to read the book to get a better taste of Mr. Ripley. Unfortunately, the movie develops Mr. Ripley's character better than the book. The movie ads a love interest for Mr. Ripley, and better evolves Mr. Ripley's seduction to the good life.
I've read the entire...
Published on June 6 2001 by T. Schmitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I hoped for, Nov. 4 2013
This review is from: The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, Ripley's Game (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chilling Trio, Jan. 10 2013
If you have seen Alfred Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" (the novel on which that film was based was by Patricia Highsmith) you will get some idea of what you are in for when you read these novels. A chilling study of a genuine psychopath. The title might make it seem like it is about Mr. Chips, but it is, trust me, not! The Everyman's edition is inexpensive and nicely bound, as are all books in that series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, June 15 2004
By A Customer
The novel is well written and I enjoyed reading it. I think the story has something very extravagant and is, psychologically seen, such a great work of art. The story is interesting because of the variability of the different people. The different characters are well constructed but in a way not as realistic as in the book.
Tom Ripley is a man with too high ambitions but he can't realise his dreams so easily in this world.
I think the aspect of seeing through the eyes of the protagonist is nothing special but through the eyes of a criminal. It's very interesting and a great challenge not to lose sight of the right side of life and the importance of the relations between important and true friends. In a way the story aims at the global world constellation because of the relations among the various points of power in the world, like the "good" and the "bad" people or the way how you succeed in your life.
But altogether it's a thrilling story which I can recommend to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A splendid triple treat edition worth owning, Oct. 6 2003
Ian Muldoon (Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Coming to Ms Highsmith via Mr Hitchcock (Strangers on a Train, The American Friend) I was struck by the way in which the writer had me liking Mr Ripley and disliking most of the other characters in these stories, even though Mr Ripley is a liar, a murderer, a thief, a cold calculating fish who delights in deceit and undermining others, manipulating the world around him to suit his selfish ends - maybe he represents the child in us, a character who gives expression to the dark side of our nature by allowing us to live through his adventures. He is superior, snobbish and incredibly attentive to detail. His knowledge of the art world, of Europe as the civilised centre of the universe, and many other matters make him something of a gourmet, bon vivant, idler. The world is just a large play pen for him to indulge his urges, but at some considerable risk. Tremendously entertaining stories composed over a period of 20 years by Ms Highsmith in clear stylish English make them a pleasure to read. This excellent Everyman Edition provide these stories with a worthy home. A bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars There`s an even better movie out there, March 10 2003
By A Customer
I was a bit disappointed that everybody obviously watched the new remake of "The talented Mr.Ripley" with Matt Damon(which I didn`t find that good), but nobody mentioned the original movie from the early sixties with Alain Delon called "Plein soleil" which is available on amazon.com.
I read the first 4 Ripley sequels in the early eighties and liked "Ripley`s Game", "Ripley under Ground" and "The Boy who followed Ripley" the most of all 5 sequels. But the first one is necessary to read to understand the other volumes. But I never liked the first book as much as the others. Her style of writing matured in the seventies a lot and her books gave me lots of inspirations and tips where to go on vacation and what kind of classical music I could hear etcetera.
If you enjoyed the Matt Damon version with Tom Ripley, try "Plein soleil", you`ll like it even better! The actors, location and score/soundtrack are just divine!

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the Sante Fe Reader!, Aug. 27 2002
ViAmber (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I, too, am on a Patricia Highsmith "high." She is awesome! Her characters are undescribably delicious! I am now reading THE ANIMAL LOVERS BOOK OF BEASTLY MURDERS and I'm telling you it's not for the faint-hearted. She is not afraid to tackle the taboo (like killing babies). How she can get into the minds of such diverse animals as cockroaches, pigs, horses, cats, dogs and hamsters I don't know. I wish she were still alive so I could enjoy more. But like you, Santa Fe reader, I have much more to read at my disposal! Enjoy! Oh---and I look forward to reading STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. Thanks for the tip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but needs more character development, Jan. 1 2002
Kindle Reader (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
The Tom Ripley originally written by Highsmith (i.e., the character in this trilogy as opposed to the character in the film version) seemed to me to lack the ambiguity and moral uncertainty of the character portrayed by Matt Damon in the film. Highsmith's Ripley (at least as he appears in this trilogy -- I understand there are two other Ripley books not included here) is somewhat flat and one-dimensional, and it is hard to really understand what motivates him to commit the string of crimes (both petty and serious) that provide something of a plot structure for the novel. The only exception to this general observation is on the matter of Ripley's sexuality: in the book, it is much more ambiguous -- while he cetainly is not the straightest character in print, he is not the (more) obviously gay character played by Damon. (Part of the overtness of the film is likely due to the fact that the first book was written in the 1950s, while the film premiered about 50 years later.)Unlike the recently-released (and very good) Highsmith short story collection, this trilogy is very plot driven, with character development somewhat neglected. Nonetheless, it is an interesting read, especially if you enjoyed the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Times 3!, Oct. 17 2001
Pour yourself a glass of wine and curl up with this wonderful trilogy. Constantly engaging, these three exciting and delightful stories of murder and mayhem will delight discerning readers! Highsmith paints such vivid pictures with her words that you'll be sorry when they final chapter is complete!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Talented Mr. Ripley, Oct. 14 2001
By A Customer
i read the book after watching the superb movie...another -more and than words can express- excellent acting job by Matt Damon. I LOVED the book and ran out and read the next in the series. Ripley is the criminal that you know you should hate, but love instead and I actually felt guilty about loving. he commits murders out of necessity and gets away with them in highly tense situations. The entire time i was reading them, I kept repeating in my mind..."DON'T GET CAUGHT...PLEASE, PLEASE." I loved them. It reminded me of the murderer in "Crime and Punishment" - though I can't remember his name at the moment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the hype (nor the movie.), June 6 2001
T. Schmitt (Issaquah, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've read the entire series. Overall, they are mildly interesting. I really don't understand all of the positive press this mediocre lot of books is getting. The pacing of the books is slow. While the detail to the European countryside and cities ads some spice to the story, overall the book plods along slowly. You are not rewarded by the time you're done reading; instead, you're glad you're done.
Furthermore, and most frustrating, are the errors and leaps in logic in the storyline. Mr. Ripley actions (and those of his opponents) are screwball in nature. For instance, in "The Boy Who Followed Ripley", Mr. Ripley attempts to single handedly rescue a kidnapped boy from a gang of kidnappers at their hideout. Mr. Ripley attacks the place, (by himself against this gang of crooks, who are also similarly as stupid as Mr. Ripley) with only 4 bullets in his gun, breaking through the door, while dressed in drag! (Is that something you'd ever attempt?) Furthermore, the mother of this kidnapped boy entrusts Mr. Ripley with the entire ransom, sight unseen, without ever having a direct conversation with him - Ripley is just handed a suitcase full of money.
In, "Ripley Under Water", a total stranger is searching the rivers and lakes to find a body that he suspects Mr. Ripley killed and dumped. So what does this person do after all of this searching when he actually finds the body? Instead of calling the police, he just retrieves the body and dumps it on Ripley's front doorstep! (Leaving Mr. Ripley to once again hide the body. The story gets even stranger after this point.)
I don't want to give away other relevant plot points in the series, but these examples are par for the course. The author stretches the believable in an attempt to compose an interesting story, and fails. Mr. Ripley is not a mastermind of crime - he's a nimwit.
Too bad the author didn't develop a story for Dickie Greenleaf. At least he led an interesting life as playboy in Italy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, Ripley's Game
The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, Ripley's Game by Patricia Highsmith (Hardcover - Oct. 12 1999)
CDN$ 34.00 CDN$ 21.32