5.0 out of 5 stars Human and Humorous
The Iranian Revolution is one of the most important events of the 20th Century, and one of the most misunderstood.

Published on Sept. 28 2009 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed message
I was interested that this is an autobiographical story, and so has authenticity. However, in ordering the book, I overlooked the fact that it is in "graphics" (cartoon images) rather than prose, which I would have preferred. I didn't appreciate the swear-language in a number of places. I had some sympathy for the lead character, but I felt there were two many...
Published 19 months ago by Ruth in Kenora

5.0 out of 5 stars Human and Humorous, Sept. 28 2009
This review is from: Persepolis Boxed Set (Paperback)

This wonderful set of graphic novels tells the story of an Iranian girl and her family during the revolution. Told with a subtle humanity and a wry sense of humor in the midst of horror and tragedy, it speaks to the human face of Iran and the Revolution with a power that few novels or histories ever approach.

I often recommend this to friends by telling them that if they want to understand the human face of Iran, they should read this book. Honestly though, this set gives more than just some insight into Iran -- it gives some insight into being human.

I would not say it is a remarkably good graphic novel. I would say it is a remarkably good novel, period.

4.0 out of 5 stars A coming-of-age narrative, April 26 2011
Frankly I initially bought this book for an English class. I have never heard of the film nor Marjane Satrapi. This is one of the most interesting autobiographies I have read because it is in a graphic novel format. And as a coming-of-age narrative, Marjane delivers. With her child-like drawings and black-and-white colours the reader gets a glimpse of the Iranian revolution seen through a growing child's perspective. This graphic novel is her story, and Iran and Austria are her backgrounds as she matures.

This is not the best graphic novel out there, but having it in this form makes it unique and unforgettable. I wouldn't recommend this to everybody; but this is certainly an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read for Adults, Dec 6 2009
S. Javaherian (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persepolis Boxed Set (Paperback)
This book is one of the best things I have read in the past 5 years. Just like many other readers who love this book, this was the first graphic novel I read. Don't let that mislead you when it comes to the seriousness of the book. This book is about more than history of a revolution, it is about making the best from whatever life throws at you. If you have kids, this book will help you understand them better, if you are a teenager, it will help you see the best in your life, and finally this book will remind everyone about the things that really matter in life. Do yourself a favour, read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, fascinating, captivating., Oct. 22 2013
Very well written story in an accessible and beautiful format.
A captivating story of Marjane Satrapi's experience of growing up during the Iranian Revolution.
I found this story so interesting that I soon went out and bought a series of other novels and works on the Iranian Revolution. Moreover, I also purchased a few more of Satrapi's books. I would highly recommend all her works.
By far my favourite graphic novel!
Highly recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible Art, Nov. 25 2012
Want to know what happened in Iran? Enjoy female protagonists with strength, character and wit? Do you connect with powerful stories and clear images? Then this is the right book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars complete persepolis, April 14 2013
L. Cronin "Redshoes" (Hanmer, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Greatest graphic novel! It reads like literature , not a comic book. Very poignant, very real.
This was a great way for Satrapi to make her story accessible to many people

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Feb. 15 2014
I purchased this book for one of my classes, but I am very happy that I read it. It's such an interesting book and I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Persepolis, Nov. 27 2009
This review is from: Persepolis Boxed Set (Paperback)
Revolutionary work Part 2. Nothing like it. A glimpse about the modern history of Iran in comic strips. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, April 3 2011
A modern insight to war and 'revolution'... one of my favourite reads of 2010. I also highly recommend the film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Sept. 29 2014
Possibly the best graphic novel ever? Certainly up there with Maus.

Persepolis Boxed Set
Persepolis Boxed Set by Marjane Satrapi (Paperback - Oct. 25 2005)
CDN$ 33.90 CDN$ 21.25