4.0 out of 5 stars Go to Holywood?
Published on May 4 2004 by Pablo Martinez-Castro

3.0 out of 5 stars Often over dramatized and even historically wrong, but...
The book is a good effort to chronicle the careers and lives of John Romero and John Carmack and their rise and fall in the game industry. At times it reads fairly well, we get a few good stories and history on what went into those first first-person shooters that "transformed pop culture". The book starts when Romero and Carmack are in high school and ends in modern time...
Published on May 19 2003 by J. DEATS

4.0 out of 5 stars Go to Holywood?, May 4 2004
Pablo Martinez-Castro "mc_kappa" (Lawrenceville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture (Hardcover)
I like a lot to read; but I struggle trying to finish a book quickly. This one is one of the few that I happen to finish in a record time (for me at least). I've read several reviews of people saying they read it in no more than a day. It actually took to me about 10 days. Reasons? My kids, my wife and my work. But, whenever none of these three "reasons" was asking me to stop reading, I was devoring the book. A standard book takes me several weeks and months to finish (I happen to read more than one book at a time too).
Well, that's "about me". About the book, what can I say? The reason why I "devored" (in my own terms) the book is because I certainly found it way interesting and entertaining. And that tendency was kept from beginning to "almost" end (the last chapter was not as entertaining, for me). I am actually one of those guys that was part of the "doom" generation, with few months of delay (the game came to my country few months after it was released in U.S.A.); yet I was one of those that happened to keep until too late overnight playing doom (in many cases until the next morning, as the characters of the book). Also, I was quite identified with the two main characters: one because his ancestors roots are the same than mines (mexicans, I speak about Romero) and the other because his main concern in his life is the same than mine: computers programming (Carmack), despite the business, despite the money, despite the marketing, the strategy. Programming is his life, doors closed at his desk without interruptions (of course I don't program graphics, yet I program another type of computers systems and that's my main purpose in this life... besides my kids and wife). And both of them passion for DOOM, the game I have liked more than any other (even more than any Quake, way more than Unreal or Duke Nukem).
And, to add to all those reasons, the way the writter describes all the happennings is very dynamnic in "almost" all the book. The way he describes the main characters gives you a seriously real idea of who they are. As some other reviewer critisized, non main characters weren't "well" described. But, so what? is it the story about the others? They're only "incidental" individuals that happened to be interacting with the "starring" guys: Carmack and Romero.
At the very end, however, the "rithm" of happenings is kind of lost when the writter describes what has done recently Carmack besides his passion working at ID. I thought the writer could still make reference to Carmack's "other" hobby while at the same time making enough references to the current status (or the status at the end of writting the book) of DOOM III to keep the interest (that's why I give only 4 stars). I am more than "anxious" to see DOOM III released. Some times I'm afraid of creating many expectations and being quite dissappointed. But, what the hell! The story is, again, way interesting in itself as a biography and as a story of two young successful entreprenurs that could very well be made into a Holywood film (if we got "real life" films like Erick Brokovich, Radio, Pirats of Silicon Valley, and many others, why not the Carmack&Romero "story"?).
Film Producers, don't lose a great opportunity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, I do not want to stop reading it!, April 2 2014
I have bought this book few days ago and I cannot stop reading it. It is well written and even if I have read only about 50 pages, I cannot stop reading it. I like the way chapters are divided so far. It is easy to understand each characters and to understand how they travail through their life to become those great developers. I think that this book is a must read for those who has played Commander Keen, Wolfenstein and Doom. Being a developer myself, the story of the glory of nerds always intrigued me. If you are in the IT domain, I suggest that you read this book.

Edit:
I am done with this book. I read it within 2 weeks. One of the best book I have read of my life. It is awesome to see the rise and fall of John Romero and see how John D. Carmack seem to be so in control but cold in the same time. The only negative comment that I have is that it ends at 2003. I had to go on Wikipedia to know what happen from there :) A highly recommend book if you like real story of fame that does not end the way you may think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, informative and inspirational, Feb. 16 2014
This book is fantastic, it has a really quick pace that matches the subject matter.Honestly, its a must read for anyone who ever wants to get into game development as an entrepreneur. It really opens your eyes to how stressful and dark the game industry can be. I have made it my business to not review products I purchase from the internet as I've no time but when I saw the email to do this book I thought it was entirely necessary. I'm an indie developer trying to start up right now and I noticed that my productivity really increased while and after reading this bio, very inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative, Dec 28 2013
Mat "rollo_tomassi" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased this as a gift since I own a copy already. The book is a great look back at an interesting and perhaps important time in PC gaming as the types of games id and also Apogee were producing were both fun and innovative. The book highlights the story of how id, along with Apogee, helped to start a new phase in PC gaming. If you haven't yet had the opportunity to read this book, I recommend you look into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, July 24 2013
David Laprise (Gatineau, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
As a teenager I played The sharewares of Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3-D, Doom and Quake. This book presents the story of how those games came to be. Fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, regardless of whether you're a gamer or not., June 13 2013
Masters of Doom tells a business story so crazy, fast-paced and fun that you won't be able to put the book down. The book tells of the rise and fall of two figureheads in the video game industry. People who have played ID's games may find a deeper appreciation for some of the interesting details and ridiculous anecdotes peppered throughout the story. Even if you haven't played the games though, I would suggest reading the book. It's a fascinating story which proves that with the right mixture of brains and practicality, amazing things are possible - and you might just gain a deeper appreciation for video games and the people who make them by reading the book. My mother, a 55 year old woman, loved the book and she knows nothing about video games.

It's a page turner for sure and I highly recommend it.

Warning: The book was last revised in 2003, so some of the details about the "present time" are somewhat inaccurate, but this only represents a small portion of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Any Gamer, June 2 2013
Dennis Madison (Midland, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I vividly remember the first time I played DOOM on my desktop computer. I was blown away and when I got up from my desk I was actually dizzy and disorientated from the experience. This book takes me back to those days and makes me appreciate how ground-breaking it all really was.

If you are a gamer, even a casual one, this book is a great read. The reader doesn't need to be scared that there will be a lot of tech talk - this is written so even a person not familiar with programming or even computer hardware can appreciate what was created by these talented, if dysfunctional, bunch of computer programmers.

One of the best parts of the book is how it describes all the different personalities that were involved. In this way it's more like a biography of a company and not geeky tech description of a video game. Also involved are all the business aspects involved and how the people involved dealt with taking their passion into something that turned into one of the most successful companies of it's time.

Overall this book takes many topics (gaming, programming, personal biographies, and business tactics) and makes it fun read. It was one of those books I couldn't put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insights into the minds of legendary game developers, Feb. 25 2013
This book is excellent. I found all the facts and figures to be quite interesting. It is very evident that the author spent a lot of time gathering these facts and quotes. The author also does a very good job of conveying what John Carmack and John Romero were thinking at different stages in their lives. I sometimes found myself wondering how he had such deep insights into their thought processes but that was explained in the epilogue where he mentions interviewing the two Johns extensively. Personally I would love to sit down and chat with either (or both) of the Johns and see how much of the book is accurate. I hope the answer is all of it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Energizing, Feb. 11 2009
Martin Kess (Waterloo, Canada) - See all my reviews
The energy of Carmack and Romero is beyond inspiring - I wish I had even half of the brainpower, luck and perseverance that they do. I had to force myself not to read it before I went to bed, or I'd inevitably find myself up coding for another six hours.

I think that for even a non-programmer, there is a lot to be gained from this book. At its heart, it's the story of a bunch of guys with a messed up past and a dream who just threw everything they had trying to make that dream into a reality. Fortunately for them, and the rest of us, they succeeded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best book i have ever read., May 25 2005
Sam (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Sorry for the short review here i am short on time but i must tell you that this book is absolutely stunnig. There is simply no bio-book that gamers will enjoy more than this one. Read it. Thats an order. This is the Harry Potter of gamers

ARRAY(0xbfab3144)